Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So sick of truck warnings!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting really tired of this.

Driving on the highways of Houston (in particular I-10), there are a lot of trucks. It's a large, 4-6 lane highway depending on where you are. Almost invariably if I am changing lanes into an open lane that happens to be next to a truck, the car freaks out and thinks that I'm going to merge into the truck. I get the warning sound, the red truck on the screen and in some instances, corrective steering to steer away from the truck.

This is stupid. I'm not even close to the truck when this warning appears, I'm literally half into the lane I'm changing into. And yet the car thinks I'm going to crash into a truck.

This happens on both sides. So if I've just entered the highway and I'm moving over lanes to the left, but say the middle lane is occupied by a truck, "freak out!". Same with changing out of the left lane into the second left. If there's a truck in the middle lane, "freak out!". It happened to me today coming back from lunch, accompanied by some pretty aggressive steering "correction" I had to steer through. And happened last night on the way home too.

I do not have FSD nor EAP, so I'm not running NOA or auto lane change. This is good old manual driving. Heck, I don't think that I'm even on TACC half the time.

Anyone else getting this? NOA must be hell, as the car would certainly jink back into the lane it was departing. I can only imagine that this would be quite dangerous.

I get the same thing. i drive on the 60 east and west on a daily basis and i get the "freak out" where the truck turns red and its flying across my screen...but im plenty of distance away from it. i believe i turned off alerts because the alarm doesnt go off. just the red truck jiggle, then it realizes its not that close and goes back to normal.

Driving on the highways of Houston (in particular I-10), there are a lot of trucks. It's a large, 4-6 lane highway depending on where you are. Almost invariably if I am changing lanes into an open lane that happens to be next to a truck, the car freaks out and thinks that I'm going to merge into the truck. I get the warning sound, the red truck on the screen and in some instances, corrective steering to steer away from the truck.

This is stupid. I'm not even close to the truck when this warning appears, I'm literally half into the lane I'm changing into. And yet the car thinks I'm going to crash into a truck.

This happens on both sides. So if I've just entered the highway and I'm moving over lanes to the left, but say the middle lane is occupied by a truck, "freak out!". Same with changing out of the left lane into the second left. If there's a truck in the middle lane, "freak out!". It happened to me today coming back from lunch, accompanied by some pretty aggressive steering "correction" I had to steer through. And happened last night on the way home too.

I do not have FSD nor EAP, so I'm not running NOA or auto lane change. This is good old manual driving. Heck, I don't think that I'm even on TACC half the time.

Anyone else getting this? NOA must be hell, as the car would certainly jink back into the lane it was departing. I can only imagine that this would be quite dangerous.
Yeah, I don't know what this is. Never experienced it.

Reactions: WhiteWi
I don't have that problem but I do have fake "you're gonna crash" warnings when someone is slowing down to turn in from of me. I know I'll have plenty of room and so I don't slow down at all and it definitely doesn't like that. You'd think it would be able to see that the car ahead is turning in plenty of time...

Reactions: BrianBigNFun
I get the same thing. i drive on the 60 east and west on a daily basis and i get the "freak out" where the truck turns red and its flying across my screen...but im plenty of distance away from it. i believe i turned off alerts because the alarm doesnt go off. just the red truck jiggle, then it realizes its not that close and goes back to normal.
Does anyone know how common place this is, because this happens to me all the time and prevents me from using autopilot. My car will randomly reverse it’s lane change because of this phantom truck “freak out“ when using autopilot.

Does anyone know how common place this is, because this happens to me all the time and prevents me from using autopilot. My car will randomly reverse it’s lane change because of this phantom truck “freak out“ when using autopilot. I tend to only notice it when trucks are on the right side of the vehicle, but then again I’m almost always in the far left lanes. My brother has a model three and does not seem to have this problem.

Does anyone know how common place this is, because this happens to me all the time and prevents me from using autopilot. My car will randomly reverse it’s lane change because of this phantom truck “freak out“ when using autopilot. I tend to only notice it when trucks are on the right side of the vehicle, but then again I’m almost always in the far left lanes. My brother has a model three and does not seem to have this problem.
It happened to me merging onto a highway where a truck was in the left most lane of a 2-lane road, so it definitely happens on both sides. Was sure annoying.

I never initiate a NOA/AP lane change while any semi is in any lane near me, because the car just doesn't let it happen, or it will do 1/2 of the lane change and then abrupty abort and pull me back into the original lane.

It HAS gotten better over this last year though. Still more room to improve.

I don't have this in my Model 3, software version 2021.4.18.3 + FSD in Germany. Didn't have it with earlier versions either.

My car very occasionally gets scared by a truck to the right and begins to brake. If that happens, I recheck the situation and counteract by gently stepping on the accelerator when I consider it a false alarm.

I wonder what the difference is between our cars or roads. You should mention your software version.

Germany unfortunately follows the UNECE regulation recommendations. I therefore have to be careful to start an automatic lane change only when no other car comes too close and the lane change is clearly doable.

I glance at the confirmation message during the first second after indicating and, if present, I gently increase the torque on the steering wheel until the message disappears. I don't know whether this is necessary in the US or UK. Late confirming through the steering wheel could lead to an aborted lane change.

If the car cancels the lane change under otherwise good circumstances, I usually let it go back into the originating lane, because the car usually has a reason. In most cases another car is closing in from behind in one of the two involved lanes.

If, rarely, I have a good reason to proceed with the lane change, I continue to change lanes manually by forcing the steering wheel. It wakes up passengers, but is otherwise safe.

...If, rarely, I have a good reason to proceed with the lane change, I continue to change lanes manually by forcing the steering wheel. It wakes up passengers, but is otherwise safe.
No Tesla yet for me, but my impression has been that if you force-override the AutoPilot using the steering wheel (without signaling), you will indeed get a somewhat abrupt or jerky motion as the car resists you, then gives up and cedes control to you. But if you use the turm-signal stalk, the steering resistance to your lane change control is much less and the car won't give you that sudden jerk as it releases control.

Can you clarify what is happening in the events that wake up your passengers?