TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

So, sideskirts & diffuser are coming to Model X

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by kaiserpathos, Apr 27, 2018.

1. kaiserpathos

kaiserpathos Member

This Model X w/ dealer plates spotted on Instagram.

Andrew Kim (who posted this photo) works for Tesla. Saw this in a discussion on Reddit.

So I pulled the trigger about 2 weeks ago or so on a Metallic Blue 100D - no VIN yet, so I wonder if I will get the old grey trim on the sides - or this new design tweak?

2. ninefiveone

ninefiveone Member

I'm skeptical that's making it's way into production anytime soon, if ever.

3. WattMobile

WattMobile Member

Know several people who just has had this done by professionals, so not sure if it will be a change in the production line or not.

4. kaiserpathos

kaiserpathos Member

Yeah I was wondering if this was aftermarket or a design change. If not announcement is occurring, then probably aftermarket. The dealer plates have several people wondering.

5. lloyds

lloyds Active Member

If Tesla adds it, they will certainly make a bit more $$$. Other manufacturers have add on options, I don't see why Tesla shouldn't do this....hint hint Elon?

6. kaiserpathos

kaiserpathos Member

The Facelift S has side skirts, seems reasonable to add this design cue to the Model X - so the change will probably eventually make it into the X. Tricky part is the lower grey trim is used on the edge of the FWD sills - with a blended same-color sideskirt it would be interesting to see how it looks on Model X.

7. LAtimesup

LAtimesup Member

Is this a real possibility for the upcoming deliveries in a month or 2?

I’m on the fence on which color to get because of the black plastic trim surrounding the car. If it is all solid body color, it would be an easy decision for us on which color to get

8. ninefiveone

ninefiveone Member

1) the X already has side skirts. Where are people getting the idea that side skirts would be new to the X?

2) I can’t see why this would be a thing Tesla would do. Ignore the aesthetics, which are a subjective topic. The cost in people, time, money, and distraction from getting the model 3 line to scale makes this a complete non starter this year.

9. kaiserpathos

kaiserpathos Member

1 - Yep, it already has grey plastic side skirts. I don't think people are getting the idea that side skirts are new to the X.

2 - They did this with Model S, replaced the grey plastic with unicolor side skirts --- so it's been pretty much expected they would eventually bring this change to Model X.

You make a good point that it could be distraction from Model 3 scale efforts -- if the change requires a lot a lot of effort, I agree they would probably wait. But it doesn't really seem like a design change, just an aesthetic change on the line. But who knows?

10. ninefiveone

ninefiveone Member

Easy enough to forecast the effort, just think it through.