Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So SilkySmooth never happened now waithing on SomethingSpecial

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd say 85% of the time it has been incredible, but I have about 15% of my experiences with AP2 that have filled me with grief, sadness, and absolute white knuckle terror.

Yeah, and that 15% is the problem. "15%" (no matter how unscientific a number, just an illustration here) is simply too often.

I've driven adaptive cruise control since 2006 (premium Germans), I've been through three, four hardware generations (some a couple of times) of them. They were not perfect, but the lack of perfect meant maybe one ghost braking during the ownership of a car (perhaps when the car in front turned 90 degrees away) as well as the obvious misses within limitations of the system before cameras came along (watch out for stopped cars etc.). The adaptive cruises quickly become second nature and one could anticipate very well what the car would do. I would use them in all kinds of traffic and roads with great success. As I said, second nature.

Enter my AP2 Model X. It ghost brakes pretty much every single time I use the TACC and already in the space of months it has done this a couple of times seriously (as in brakes down in the middle of the motorway). Most braking events are luckily milder than that, but even they are a constant reminder of how risky it seems going under an overpass. The only second nature that it has been incuding in me is tensing up every time an overpass comes to sight.

I don't know if it makes any sense, but to me the Tesla TACC seems somehow thin, strained, less robust than those e.g. Audi has. I don't get the same sense that the AP2 one knows what it is doing than I got from the Audi. Sure, AP2 is trying to do more and eventually is expected to do a lot more, than my old cars, but in the process - as it currently stands - it is missing that singular purpose, that precision tuning for a specific mission.

AP2's TACC currently seems like a scatterminded teenager on a Friday night compared to a singleminded professional on a mission from the competition. AP2 seems nervous, where as the German's I've had were confident.

Some say perfect is the enemy of good. I say bad is the enemy of good as well.

Does anyone else feel like AP starts working worse right before an update comes out?? There is a new update that is rolling out and I would swear last 3 days my AP isn't working like it did two weeks ago. Mind you I drive same routes every single day, 200++ miles a day and the same lanes etc.. I will just barely use carpool lanes anymore with eap engaged on, let's hope as mentioned above they actually use 2-4 more cameras as that would totally help with widening carpool lanes that currently slam you from one side to the next.

I feel like we are doing turtle pace here....

There has been some similar experiences and speculation that AP2 might be re-calibrating after each update and that causes it to perform worse for a time.

But IMO it also seems possible a new update is simply worse than the previous one. There is plenty of history of that as well.

So we all waited anxiously for Elon's "SilkySmooth" firmware update in a couple of days no more than next week. That was months ago and never happened. According to the last Q update Elon said the version of EAP he is using is "SomethingSpecial " Well we deserve a bit of that SomethingSpecial.

I have often scoffed at those that posted "My car almost killed me"..."My car slammed on the brakes"...yadda yadda yadda.

Carry forward to this morning: My wife routinely takes our S100D to a very early class were she leaves the house at 5:00am for a ~65 mile roundtrip and returns home in time for me to take it and drop the kids off at school and start my daily commute of ~95 miles. She take the Tesla ONLY because I encourage her to for its safety 1st and economy 2nd. She has stated many times that she refuses to use EAP because it is, in her words, a little scary the way it drives. She does use TACC regularly and usually likes the way it seems to behave. On her commute she travels almost 20 miles each way on GA 400. The last week there have been several bad accidents on this stretch including fatalities. The Forsyth Sheriff's department publicly said that they would be heavily enforcing this stretch of roads because of the increased accidents and as you can guess everyone is hyperaware of paying attention and driving safely.

This morning when approaching a bridge overpass traveling at 65mph the car very quickly decelerated to 45mph, throwing everything in the passenger seat into the floorboard BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY causing everyone behind her to start braking hard and almost caused a major accident. My wife would not have been part of it but our car would have been the cause of it. She was visibly shaken when she arrived home thinking of what she, our car, almost caused to happen. After us just having a discussion of how sad it was for a family to have lost their husband / father just 5 days ago in almost the same place.

My point in this post is to offer a bit of acknowledgement to those that have had similar experiences and say "I hear'ya" AND to ask publicly WHERE IS OUR SS. Either SilkySmooth from months ago or our SomethingSpecial mentioned over 2 weeks ago. As much as I HATE to say it, Tesla either needs to turn off TACC and EAP until they have something safer or put out an update to make it an order of magnitude safer. I pay great attention to my car and the road when using EAP and TACC and my wife is a really good driver and uses TACC only and as an added safety feature. I told her I keep my foot on the go pedal ready to push it when it does that and her response back was WTF kind of safety feature is that!!! I can't argue that response. We are becoming more and more disenchanted with the software portions of the safety features of our HW2 S100D and she is now said she won't use TACC any more either.

We have sent an expedited message through the "my Tesla" portal but if it is like others we have sent and said verbally to the folks at our Service Center.....I won't hold my breath.

AP1 also gets the slow down under bridges, silky smooth probably won't fix that. I think it happens if there is no other vehicle in front, thus the sudden appearance of the bridge makes the car slow down. Whenever I feel it happen I accelerate, fortunately it doesn't happen too often.

I'm sorry for you guys. Don't understand why after so much time AP2 is still hit and miss. How can Tesla even speak of FSD when they can't keep a decent upgrade valid for longer than a week or so before it's replaced by a downgrade?
I will not pretend to be a software engineer, but the way AP just crosses crossing into upcome traffic is beyond me. The first few lines of code should prevent that from happening, surely? I don't own a Tesla but have seen enough videos. Ignoring the AP>AP2 issues, from the outside it'ss just clear that the self driving capability is diminishing. What about that fleet machine learning? I'm sure that a road where 100's of Tesla's crossed NOT crossing a line, NOT freaking out, still tricks the next AP2 car to cross over and/or freak out.
We read on here all the time how Tesla is in the lead, but I see other brands doing better, demo'ing better autonomy than that one little demo Tesla put out.
Is Autopilot even worth the money at this point?

If I were to purchase a vehicle with AP2 I definitely would not pay for the FSD part, EAP yes. Even if you only use the adaptive cruise control part of it, it makes commutes so much more relaxed.

Reactions: BlueRocket
AP1 also gets the slow down under bridges, silky smooth probably won't fix that. I think it happens if there is no other vehicle in front, thus the sudden appearance of the bridge makes the car slow down. Whenever I feel it happen I accelerate, fortunately it doesn't happen too often.

Yes, again I believe this is the overhead braking introduced after the fatality.

Judging by reports, AP1, though, is far milder in this respect. AP2 gets pretty severe braking events at times and by reports seems to brake more often too.

I have no idea why everyone whines so much..... I just hit the go pedal within 1/2 a second and never slowed down more than a couple of mph..

That makes YOU the TACC and not the car. I am happy you are okay with hovering over the go pedal in the anticipation of overpasses and signs. That however is not the answer. I drink the koolaid too but this is not acceptable by any means.

So...does that mean I should have tesla remove EAP before I take delivery of my new car??? This thread makes me nervous...if it works, it's great, if it doesn't work, you'll get rear ended or worse.

Coming from someone who believes in Tesla so much that I pre-purchased FSD as well I would say keep it. My concern is in how long it is taking to get EAP to an at least acceptable place and the public statements from Mr Musk about how Silky Smooth and Something Special EAP is. In the world of actual owners / users of the products we do NOT have either of those (statements not promises so I don't get the wrath of the koolaid ingesting Muskites) things.

I like to think of AP2 as indeed silky smooth but with a few too many glitches at the moment.
When it's good it is very good but it is too nervous and false alarms too often which does lead to excessively sharp braking or steering angle applied at highway speeds and can certainly be disconcerting, also does not handle all curves correctly.
These glitches mean that you cannot relax as much as you would in an AP1 car as you very much have to be ready to takeover in an instant.

I am fully expecting upcoming updates to dial out the glitches, and although not quite the same, this is very much the way AP1 developed, gradually rounding off the sharp edges.

I also have an AP1 MS, and AP1 as of now is still better overall, less glitchy but AP2 is smoother at its best.

As a direct comparison I probably use AP2 about 30% of the time I use AP1 on the same route.

Progress but more needed and soon please Tesla.
(and don't forget the auto wipers which are way overdue now).

So...does that mean I should have tesla remove EAP before I take delivery of my new car??? This thread makes me nervous...if it works, it's great, if it doesn't work, you'll get rear ended or worse.

I think what you hear in threads like this is the frustration with how slow the progress has been with EAP. There were promises made by Tesla that have not even come close to where the state EAP is right now. That's not to say that the potential is still worth investing in. I would still buy EAP again today. I still use it 95% of the time I am on long highway drives, and it definitely reduces driver fatigue at the end of the day. You just can't disengage from what the car is doing. It's like driving with a new teenage driver. They will be making all the fine driving adjustments, but you still need to make sure the "driver" is seeing all the potential upcoming hazards.

Seems the problem is image recognition with the cameras. AP2 was initially camera-only, but has started incorporating in radar - but still favours cameras (Tesla has stated that the goal is to slowly start having the system trust radar more and more with time as they get more data). Other systems from other manufacturers are generally radar-only.

Building a 3d world with photogrammetry (matching up points between cameras in different positions and turning them into a 3d model) is tough. I know because I've used both professional photogrammetry software and written my own. Mismatched points are simply going to happen from time to time which will give you an erroneous model, which means things like spontaneous braking. You have to expect things to be wrong, and from the beginning should be able to have other competing data sources override that for you. It looks like Tesla has given far too much weight to visual determination of hazards. "Visual alone" works for humans because our minds reason out what's correct and what makes no sense, and "fix" errors for us. Photogrammetry software can't do that, it's just pattern matching.

Radar doesn't work by pattern matching - it's actual returns. It will never mistakenly combine two things that "look similar" on the small scale and assume that they're one object that's much closer or further away. Radar can give misleading intensities in its returns, of course, since metal trash can be radar bright but nonmetallic objects transparent or translucent to radar. But when it sees something, it's going to tell you correctly where it is.

Combining the two is a great concept, but Tesla seems still to be far too focused on visual. And there's other data sources they could be factoring in, yet don't appear to. E.g.: Tesla has map data available to it. It should know where overpasses are, where the road is supposed to turn, etc. That data source can't be relied on on its own, of course - map data can be wrong, roads change, construction zones open up unexpectedly, etc - but it's more indicators that can be fed in to try to help clear up discrepancies. But there's no sign that Tesla does this.

They're indeed trying something more ambitious than just radar-based cruise control. But they haven't succeeded yet.

I am questioning the wisdom of some posters in here using AP in a construction zone and then incessantly complaining that it does not work as expected.

I am questioning / concerned that AP works so poorly on well marked - well traveled roads.

I would never use it in a work zone when it is only 1/2 baked in the best of road conditions.

If only it was the construction zone that was the problem... it is not. It just makes certain weaknesses more visible.
At present, if you value your sanity, forget about using autopilot in construction zone. It's crazy enough that ap sees the black line over white road marks as the better part but when road shifts suddenly in construction zone, is an accident waiting to happen While using ap.

Here's my brief don't do it for AP2
---------------------------------------------
Construction Zones
Very wide single lanes with yellow solid on left and white solid on right
Crossing intersections without a tracking car
Approaching intersections without a tracking car
Exit Ramps
Very curvy local roads

Other then these, I find it to work quite well