Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

so....some Model S will be out of WARRANTY soon *battery pack pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
really???
so buying used out of warranty will be one helluva gamble.

anybody get hit with a drive unit replacement cost yet?

I suspect that it will be a minor gamble, just like buying any other car and finding out that the engine has to be be replaced. And you will also realize that a 20% range reduction isn't going to kill your resale that much, after all, it still has 80% range.

really???
so buying used out of warranty will be one helluva gamble.

anybody get hit with a drive unit replacement cost yet?
I don't see how that is a gamble. A test drive will show what the fully charged range is and give you a hint as to battery degradation. There is no "gamble" it will be what it is and is unlikely to precipitously faile, rather it will keep degrading at the same rate...

There should be very few cases where degradation is enough that a whole pack has to be replaced for that reason. As ewoodrick and drklain pointed out, degradation happens, but it's really slow and if xx% in your car isn't enough, then perhaps you should trade for a car with less degradation (generally, one with fewer miles - similar to issues faced by anybody with an aging car and wondering when the time is right to get a newer one), rather than paying for a whole new pack.

There are of course accidents and such that can destroy a battery; but replacing the battery in that case is typically on the person that buys it from salvage, rather than the owner, so there should be no surprise to them.

It is always possible that some part of a module inside the battery could fail. But then, you could get that module replaced - you won't have to replace the whole pack.

I suspect there will be very few people surprised by suddenly having to pay to replace a whole pack.

I don't see how that is a gamble. A test drive will show what the fully charged range is and give you a hint as to battery degradation. There is no "gamble" it will be what it is and is unlikely to precipitously faile, rather it will keep degrading at the same rate...
It's a gamble because degradation isn't the biggest issue - Tesla can (and has) downgraded peoples' capacity without warning or notice, so one day you could have an 85 and minutes later it's a 60. Read the link above with the $21k price. That person is behind the class action suit and federal probe into why tesla is downgrading cars secretly. Buying a tesla is a hell of a gamble right now considering there is no tangible reason for the downgrades. It's definitely not degradation, that's all we know - because in a few cases Tesla reversed it and that can't be done with degradation damages.

@DJRas wasn't quoted $21k for an out of warranty battery replacement because he has a damaged or degraded battery. He was quoted that much because Tesla downgraded his battery intentionally, and refuses to say why, or remove the artificially imposed cap they imposed on his car without warning or explanation. Presumably, the replacement quote means Tesla identified a failure and imposed the cap because they don't want to honor their warranty terms, but presumption is all we can do until the lawsuit and federal probe force tesla to come clean.

I have a March 2015 build P85. The original factory battery was replaced this past April due to sudden failure. The replacement battery failed two weeks ago without any warning whatsoever and has been in the shop until today getting the pack replaced again. I'm picking up the S this afternoon and I must say that two pack failures in the past six months has me very concerned about keeping the car after the eight year, infinite mile warranty has expired. I'm not concerned about degradation because I think that's a non-issue. I'm worried about another pack failure that would cost me dearly.

I have a March 2015 build P85. The original factory battery was replaced this past April due to sudden failure. The replacement battery failed two weeks ago without any warning whatsoever and has been in the shop until today getting the pack replaced again. I'm picking up the S this afternoon and I must say that two pack failures in the past six months has me very concerned about keeping the car after the eight year, infinite mile warranty has expired. I'm not concerned about degradation because I think that's a non-issue. I'm worried about another pack failure that would cost me dearly.
sounds strange that you have multiple battery failures (2) ... sounds like it might be something else causing this

Reactions: CSFTN
I liken it to keeping a Panamera 4S or M5 or RS7 past warranty. Replacing a failed engine in one of those would be of similar price, and resale values of them typically plummet because of this.
my cousin has an audi A7 , the automatic gearbox failed (common on these cars), no repair possible, they changed the gearbox, 16.000€ (17.700$)
The model S is the same category as this car, same size, same price range, but not same technology :)

When the Model S was first introduced, Tesla briefly offered a battery replacement plan, which would have covered a future battery replacement. That plan was quickly discontinued (like the brief period they offered a tire replacement plan).

Since Tesla is no longer manufacturing the discontinued 40-60-75-85 battery packs, any replacements will most likely be refurbished packs - likely packs that came back after a pack failure replacement from service. Tesla should be able to refurbish those packs to get them close to their expected capacities, though there's always the possibility a refurbished pack that had failed before has an undetected flaw (which is what happened to the poster who reported a failure shortly after getting a refurbished pack).

It's easy to forget that Tesla battery packs are composed of thousands of small batteries - and the displayed range is only an estimate of the charge available across all of those batteries. Since purchasing our first Tesla in early 2013, I've seen a few updates that caused a visible change to the range. But ultimately the most accurate way of determining battery pack range is to look at your typical energy consumption (W per mile) and the % of battery pack used while driving - and calculate your likely range from that. And only become concerned if there is a significant change in the typical W/mile consumption or the % of battery used for normal driving.

Unfortunately, Tesla follows the same practice as most companies do with their software releases - they don't document all of the changes contained in each release. So we don't know if they've done anything in a release that changes how the range numbers are calculated.

While it's possible Tesla has done something to restrict charging rates and capacity on some battery packs - it's also possible there was a software bug that was or is causing this.

When the Model S was first introduced, Tesla briefly offered a battery replacement plan, which would have covered a future battery replacement. That plan was quickly discontinued (like the brief period they offered a tire replacement plan).
Not quite accurate.

Speaking as someone who wanted to buy the plan, and thus was paying very close attention...

The BRP was announced ($8k for 40 kWh, $10k for 60 kWh, or $12k for 85 kWh) but there was no method to ever purchase it. No dedicated webpage to reserve or order was ever provided.

I suspect that it will be a minor gamble, just like buying any other car and finding out that the engine has to be be replaced. And you will also realize that a 20% range reduction isn't going to kill your resale that much, after all, it still has 80% range.

my battery just completely died. like dead- towed in for battery swap.

hellz i could care less bout a 20 - 30% range dropm...but 20-25K swaps are a crazy gamble.

I'm gonna watch the price of 2012 & 2013's closer