Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So tell me about a model 3 without EAP. What will it still do.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mod please change title to read model 3. Missed it.

Hi all. We may need to get Angela a new car a little sooner than originally planned but wondering about simplifying the car a bit. So what best describes the cars behaviour without EAP. I know it won’t change lanes or take off ramps etc but will it

: still maintain a selectable distance to the car in front?
: still apply the brakes aggressively when something is in front?
: lane control of any sort?
: how about backing hazards.

Please elaborate and feel free to compare to Nissan Propilot.

If we choose to get EAP later will it just be a software unlock?

I’m sure our rep in Vancouver could tell us this but I don’t want to take up his time until we are sure we are ready.

Thanks in advance. We absolutely appreciate input from the Tesla community.

So your saying it will still stay in the centre of the lane without EAP?

No, it will only vibrate the steering wheel slightly if you leave your lane. It's pretty useless, I turn it off completely.

If you purchase it later, it's just a software unlock but it will be more expensive later on than when you first purchase the car.

All you get are the safety features like emergency braking.

Reactions: APotatoGod

No. That will cost more if you are willing to pay for Autopilot.

No.

You still get a standard Tesla Automatic Emergency Braking but the manual says it only mitigates the force of impact and not to brake to a halt to avoid a collision.

: lane control of any sort?

No.

See previous posts above.

: how about backing hazards.

No.

If we choose to get EAP later will it just be a software unlock?

Yes. It's in your Tesla Account on the website so you can pay up and it will activate over the air.

Yesterday I went to back in to parking spot. I pulled past it, then I thought I had put the car in reverse (but I guess I didn't). I then hit the throttle to start backing in to the spot (not fast, but not very slow). The car moved forward (maybe a foot), then it alerted me with beeps and on screen notification and stopped. I guess it didn't want me to run in to other cars that it saw in front of me.

Do not get the car without EAP. It is what makes the car different from all others. No other systems compare to it. The additional monthly cost if you have a loan is definitely worth it. It works on almost ALL roads, not just highways. Soon it will even be recommended on all roads. It "sees" and identifies a "driving surface" independent of lane markings now. The items displayed on the screen are a fraction of what the car is actually identifying. It is identifying all the objects around it now. It brakes for pedestrians. After being engaged with at least one visible lane marker it will often drive miles on the correct side of a road after the lane markers end. This is a very advanced system.

Do not get the car without EAP. It is what makes the car different from all others. No other systems compare to it. The additional monthly cost if you have a loan is definitely worth it. It works on almost ALL roads, not just highways. Soon it will even be recommended on all roads. It "sees" and identifies a "driving surface" independent of lane markings now. The items displayed on the screen are a fraction of what the car is actually identifying. It is identifying all the objects around it now. It brakes for pedestrians. After being engaged with at least one visible lane marker it will often drive miles on the correct side of a road after the lane markers end. This is a very advanced system.

I thought that it was electric, super fast and goes far that made it special.

EAP is not for everyone. For my daily commute I never use it. The only time I turned it on was to show it to someone.

You use to get 30 day trail before you had to buy, if it is still that way, it is a no Brainer to try it and decide for yourself.

EAP should sometime be pretty cool and many folks do like it but honestly, for me, it doesn't drive well enough to put me at ease - the TACC is nice and you need EAP to get it unfortunately. Some have called the self driving like 'a nervous teenager'. Folks have mixed experiences with it, I'm happy to drive the car myself 99% of the time

i bought without EAP but the trial convinced me to use it.

My commute is not too long, maybe 15
moles split between highways and roads that are fairly EAP friendly. That being said, EAP drives about 80% of my commute and I love it. I still watch the road but my mind can wander ever so slightly, which allows me to enjoy the ride more and/or think about the day ahead.

Just be aware if you use EAP off the highway be on alert after updates. The last updates made it incorrectly follow a left turn lane during my evening commute, which it never did before. A minor quirk, and EAP is really meant for highways anyway, but be aware.

That being said I’m a big fan of it, but I work for a startup going through crazy growth right now and understand software development headaches. If you want to use EAP as much as possible you need to commit to learning it’s quirks and shortcomings.

I don't have it and I don't plan on buying it until it can fully drive me to my destination. It's amazing technology, but I didn't spend $70k on a performance car just to have a computer drive for me.

Plus a computer that drives about as good as your average 16 year old at a cost of $5000 is way overpriced in its current form, in my opinion. The emergency braking and other safety features that come standard are great and I am grateful for those for now.

The EAP gives much more braking and collision avoidance than the emergency braking. MeThinks the people that doth protest so much against using the EAP are the ones that most need it. Especially carrier pilots!

I'll amend that "slap", my experience with new airline 1st officers from the navy was that they were the most competent. After a few months we taught them how to land and they were then fine.

I can't imagine buying a car without TACC Basically every new car from every manufacturer is starting to come with TACC. Getting a car without it seems as crazy as buying one without antilock brakes. Why be cheap with safety?

Unfortunately the only way to get TACC in a Tesla is to get EAP.. So you should get EAP.

• Informative