Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So Tesla is upgrading Model 3 cars with the V3 FSD computer, when do older Model S cars get it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a November 2016 build Model S which of course has the MCU1, and old FSD computer. Tesla is already upgrading owners of Model 3 cars with the v2.5 computer to V3. I wonder when us older owners who bought EAP and FSD when it basically did nothing for 6 months are going to get the upgrades.

I won't hold my breath, and predict that it will be Feb of 2020 before anything happens to us owners. That date is totally pulled out of my ass and has no backend knowledge contributing to it.

I wonder what Tesla is going to do regarding the cameras. The cameras in our cars are not full color, so how will they be able to see stoplights, etc.?

I just wish Tesla would remember us older owners who bought cars. I bothers me when I see a Model 3 owner saying they are a long time owner.

Thoughts?

Reactions: pilotSteve
I bought a November 2016 build Model S which of course has the MCU1, and old FSD computer. Tesla is already upgrading owners of Model 3 cars with the v2.5 computer to V3. I wonder when us older owners who bought EAP and FSD when it basically did nothing for 6 months are going to get the upgrades.

I won't hold my breath, and predict that it will be Feb of 2020 before anything happens to us owners. That date is totally pulled out of my ass and has no backend knowledge contributing to it.

I wonder what Tesla is going to do regarding the cameras. The cameras in our cars are not full color, so how will they be able to see stoplights, etc.?

I just wish Tesla would remember us older owners who bought cars. I bothers me when I see a Model 3 owner saying they are a long time owner.

Thoughts?

Stop signs and lights are red. It sees red just fine and can interpolate the rest to be better than pure grayscale.

There are already reports of 2.5 S/X owners getting the V3 upgrade preformed when their cars were in the Service Center for other services. All the S/X have been coming from the factory with V3 for months already.

Tesla feels this is an efficient way to begin rolling out the new computer.

Of course, if people beging to take their cars in for phony services, hoping to get the upgrade ahead of others, this will soon stop.

Imagine 2.0 owners will be next and 1.0 will be waiting the longest.

Stop signs and lights are red. It sees red just fine and can interpolate the rest to be better than pure grayscale.

Interesting reason we need FSD...as the average person on the street what color a Yield sign is, and most will immediately answer that they are YELLOW. Strange, because they switched them to RED about 20 years ago, yet most drivers still think they are yellow.

Going to take a long time to get the self driving public to drive properly.

I also notice that standard cars tend to wobble all over their lanes, going down the road, while Autopilot cars tend to lock themselves right into the center of their lanes.

• Disagree
Reactions: Saxgod
Tesla doesn’t care about you. As my friend Mick Mulvaney would say, “Get over it,”
The sad part about your statement is that it is partly true. Tesla is more concerned with the shiny new things and they already got my money that I paid three years ago for FSD.

As to colors, I submit that in order to accurately determine what is going on, it needs full color in order to drive successfully. I wonder if the reason that no HW2.0 customers have been upgraded is because they need to put in 7 new cameras also.

Also if Nick M. is your friend, you need new friends... :)

• Disagree
Reactions: Eclectic
X/S still flagship. Model 3 is getting some of the new tech because some of the latest stuff can be built in when new, and not need to be added on later.

S is still the most beautiful, fastest, longest range, quietest, most comfortable, road car they make, with the best displays. Still the King!

Model 3 is the lightweight, nimble kid with some shiney new gadgets, but not the flagship.

The sad part about your statement is that it is partly true. Tesla is more concerned with the shiny new things and they already got my money that I paid three years ago for FSD.

As to colors, I submit that in order to accurately determine what is going on, it needs full color in order to drive successfully. I wonder if the reason that no HW2.0 customers have been upgraded is because they need to put in 7 new cameras also.

Also if Nick M. is your friend, you need new friends... :)
We let color blind people drive cars

Yes, Tesla are upgrading older S&X with HW2.5 to HW3. Really the low hanging fruit, and starting with oldest H2.5 first is the best.
Has anyone with a FSD 2018 S or X been upgraded yet, or are Telsa still focused on 2016 and 2017 vehicles?

Expecting newer S&X plus 3 with HW2.5 will also be upgraded fairly soon, though the volumes will be higher once they include the Model 3.

The upgrade from HW2 is presumed to be a bit more serious, and we haven't seen any reports of S&X with HW2 being upgraded. That doesn't mean none have been, but any that have are within beta programs and subject to NDA.

I don't think Tesla are on the hook to upgrade HW1 as there's a lot more involved than just swapping out the processing units.

HW1 is not getting any upgrade. We all know that.

HW 2.0 has Red and clear cameras. There is no way to absolutely determine yellow from green reliably without having the other colors.

HW 2.5+ has full RGB cameras.

HW2.0 is most likely going to need a camera upgrade. It might just be the three forward facing cameras because those are the ones that would be monitoring stoplights, and the like.

• Disagree
Reactions: Jan Fiala