Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So That's Where They Hid the Model 3 Subwoofer...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The sound system is exceptional in the Model 3, and it appears that this subwoofer and amp are part of the reason.

3JyRJmAsR+64jUxnSpgU4g.jpg
6suxhmFyTm6ui6CKmdK91w.jpg

Makes sense @diamond.g. So Model 3's "ICE" (Infotainment and Connectivity ECU) might not have a built-in amplifier like the base audio MCU on S/X. Only premium audio S/X has an external amplifier.

So Model 3 might have this amp regardless of audio package? Which COULD mean that "base audio" Model 3's (which hasn't been delivered yet?) might be pretty easy wrt aftermarket sub installs. No need for an aftermarket amp, simply plug in your custom subwoofer with the right specs and connector?

Makes sense @diamond.g. So Model 3's "ICE" (Infotainment and Connectivity ECU) might not have a built-in amplifier like the base audio MCU on S/X. Only premium audio S/X has an external amplifier.

So Model 3 might have this amp regardless of audio package? Which COULD mean that "base audio" Model 3's (which hasn't been delivered yet?) might be pretty easy wrt aftermarket sub installs. No need for an aftermarket amp, simply plug in your custom subwoofer with the right specs and connector?
My totally uninformed guess is that this amp runs the subwoofer and the additional "immersion" speakers in the dash. Thus, a non-premium car would be missing those speakers, this amp, and the subwoofer.

Reactions: bhzmark
Great news - I figured this out and installed a 12" subwoofer running off the M3 amp. Turns out there are actually 4 wires going into the 8" sub, not 3. Those 4 wires are because it's a dual coil subwoofer running 2 x 80w at 4ohms. This matched the MTX 12" sub with box I had in the garage.

The colors going out of the amp to the sub were different than the ones inside the sub enclosure.
They were:
From Amp:

Green, Red, Purple, Brown
And were changed to

Green, Black, Red, Blue

Green to green (pos)
Red to Blue (neg)
Purple to Red (pos)
Brown to Black (neg)

Rather than removing the sub and creating all kinds of drama, I just disconnected the connections to the speaker itself and ran extensions from the sub enclosure to my speaker box.

I think that the sub is running off a series to the door speakers because there's a sound change for sure. As time allows I'll update. For now, I have substantially more bass and the sub hits well. Not as well as having it's own dedicated higher wattage amp, but I like to keep my teeth in these days anyways.

Hope that helps!
j

Hmms, I see your speaker label says "MX"... I wonder if this means it's the same speaker as in Model X?

(Wouldn't know unless someone has a picture or more data on the MX sub speaker. I only have the part number for the sub assembly, i.e. the entire bass box.)

thinking of ordering a Rockford P3SD48 P3 8" with dual voice coil @ 4 ohm to replace the stock sub and run it off the stock amp

any thoughts?

• 8" shallow subwoofer with dual 4-ohm voice coils
  • anodized aluminum cone with M-Roll Santoprene™ surround
  • power range: 50-150 watts RMS (75 watts per voice coil)
  • peak power handling: 300 watts
  • frequency response: 38-250 Hz
  • sensitivity: 82 dB
  • top-mount depth: 2-5/8"
  • sealed box volume: .20-.70 cubic feet
  • ported box volume: .75 cubic feet

thinking of ordering a Rockford P3SD48 P3 8" with dual voice coil @ 4 ohm to replace the stock sub and run it off the stock amp

any thoughts?

Is it tunable? I'd love to extend the low end of the current system because it does lack quite a bit but I'm also worried about cabin resonance so I didn't want to waste my time or money.. If you end up doing it please share the results!

any thoughts?

Do it and report back! I’m really itching to do something like this, so please let us know how it sounds.

My 2 cents would be to find something with high sensitivity to make the most of the limited power from the stock amp

Reactions: Glamisduner