TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

So the options came in a little pricier than expected

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by UnitaryExecutive, Jul 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. UnitaryExecutive

I was hoping for a larger battery D version, white interior, with autopilot for right around 50k with 55k being the upperbound and 42k after incentives, which would be reasonable. 35k base + 7k battery + 5k D upgrade + 3k autopilot. With Ludicrous being around 65k.

I think the battery came in higher than expected, the paint and wheel upgrades plus premium package. We're now looking at 58-59k for AP, bigger battery and no D. That's a little pricier than I had hoped - was I being overly optimistic? Thoughts?

• Like x 3
  2. jsrawa

jsrawa Member

I agree, I think the battery came in a little more expensive than I expected but everything else fell pretty much within expectations. I am torn between the standard and long range, I just don't commute that much to need the long range daily and my cross country trips are maybe once a year. For those reasons I don't know if I can justify 9k just to see 90 more miles on the dash that probably won't be fully utilized.

• Like x 3
  3. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Member

Ditto. Exactly.

4. powertoold

powertoold Member

lol are you kidding? Ludicrous Model 3 will be at least 80k fully loaded.

• Like x 1
  5. eloder

eloder Active Member

The Model S 75-->100 upgrade costs over $20k for far less range. Even if you cut the S upgrade in half (and ignore the bigger range increase that the 3 gives), it would have come out to a good bit more than $9k. The battery upgrade is a steal.

The premium upgrade is more than I expected given what it provides. Paint/AP/wheel all make sense to me.

• Helpful x 1
  6. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Checking your math -- 35k base + 9k battery + 5k AP base = 49k.

I guess you also want 5k for luxury package, 1k for non-black paint, 1.5k for wheels and 3k for the non-yet-released L3 autopilot? Then you are in 59.5k price point - you got everything available right now.

7. jsrawa

jsrawa Member

Yes, I agree that relative to the S it is a bargain but I think the general public in the market for the 3 might not be able to justify the 9k for 90 more miles when the base is probably enough if you charge properly at night for a large percent of drivers.

8. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

You were pretty close. The final price reflects option creep from you since you have now included the more expensive tyres.

9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

The battery upgrade is a bit disappointing but not entirely surprising. They could be riding the tax credit and California's rebate and reduce price later.

It's the bundling in the premium package that really hurts me since I'm going for the base battery.

• Like x 1
  10. Randy Spencer

Randy Spencer Member

I am happy they went the way they did. I could NEVER justify anything but the Auto Pilot and the wife doesn't want a glass roof. But since it's the only one available I don't have to suffer with indecision, JUST TAKE MY MONEY

-Randy

ps. Of course next year I will lament that I got the early car as the new cars will have all sorts of things I really do want (read CarPlay)

• Like x 3
  11. Piney999

Piney999 Member

Paint and wheels and roof were the unexpected prices for me. Can have black.... can't stand the std wheels, and was looking forward to the glass roof. We will see where the dust settles when the D is unveiled.

12. UnitaryExecutive

I think the standard is just a little too small for us. 220m means effectively 190 when charged up to 90%, then you really never go below 20 because it's a little sketchy so you have 170 miles of usable range and it drops really quickly in cold weather. Left my house with a 90m estimate once in snow and barely made a 60m commute.

We live in Denver and going up to the mountains on 220 in cold weather is cutting it a little too close for us. Also, it makes a routine 75 or 80m round trip a little close.

13. boiler81

boiler81 Member

Agree. Battery, paint, and wheel upgrade is higher than I expected for a " Mass Market" car.
    Can Tesla factory employees afford a $49K car?

• Like x 2
  14. pkalhan

pkalhan Member

i am in the situation with the OP. I would like the longer range, but don't have a long commute to work (34 miles round trip). I also do not do a lot of long trips either. I was only wanting the longer range as a sort of "protection" from future battery degradation. I have heard overtime that you lose a little range and thought if I lost say 5 miles on the 310 model, not a big deal, but it would stand out a little more with the 220 model.

If I get the 220 miles model, I will be able to get all of the other options where as if I get the 310 mile model, I would skip out on the EAP. I do not anticipate getting invited to configure anytime soon (reserved on 4/2/16 east coast at 11:00AM in store) so I will have some time to decide.

Thanks!

15. Johann Koeber

Johann Koeber Member

I feel the options are priced just about right. Tesla is here to make money - although that is not only or even the overwhelming priority. But Tesla needs to make money and are doing this in a clever way.

Great value for the money, if you ask me.

• Like x 1
  16. Barklikeadog

Barklikeadog Member

How much is it to get a steering wheel?

• Funny x 1
  17. juanmedina

juanmedina Member

In my opinion the wheel upgrade is very fairly priced. Go online and try find a good set be of 19" wheels with tires for $1500 you can't find any.

They are probably forged and aerodynamic.

I don't care about any options. I would love to get the bare bones performance/ludicrous version for 60k.

18. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

With their stock options - easily.

and do they have an existing vehicle with equity they can sell?

19. Stirfelt

Stirfelt Member

In my mind (prior to pricing information), I decided I would put my money into a larger battery, forgo most other options .... just stick with the basic.
    Now, I'm having to reconsider. For example, I had no idea that black would be the only base color.

If Tesla would open more superchargers, I'd pass on the battery (as good a deal as claimed) and put my money into additional creature comforts. For example .... I find it hard to believe that you must pay extra for cruise control? (even inexpensive ICE cars have CC).

I'm still 15 months out from making my selections, and hopefully during that time the options will change. I'm hanging in until then .... but if no changes occur ...... well, let's just say my interest will seriously erode.

• Helpful x 1
  20. Runt8

Runt8 Member

The premium package comes in lower than I was expecting with all that it provides. The enhanced autopilot and FSD are more than I was expecting, and larger battery is more than I was hoping for but I’m not completely surprised.