Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So the options came in a little pricier than expected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Checking your math -- 35k base + 9k battery + 5k AP base = 49k.

I guess you also want 5k for luxury package, 1k for non-black paint, 1.5k for wheels and 3k for the non-yet-released L3 autopilot? Then you are in 59.5k price point - you got everything available right now.

I'm fine with black but didn't expect the base wheel option would be Aero. Full self-driving and premium puts you in almost the 65k range.

I am happy they went the way they did. I could NEVER justify anything but the Auto Pilot and the wife doesn't want a glass roof. But since it's the only one available I don't have to suffer with indecision, JUST TAKE MY MONEY

-Randy

ps. Of course next year I will lament that I got the early car as the new cars will have all sorts of things I really do want (read CarPlay)
If CarPlay ever exists, no reason it won't be a software OTA add on. We've seen that they aren't working on either of the 'Play' packages (remember the rumors about Tesla Music?).... And FSD can be added later, that saves that $3K for those who may want it eventually...

There was a rumor about a new FSD feature to fulfill Elon's tweet about a FSD feature due right *now*. That's not happened, either... If you are tight for money when your invitation comes, I'd get EAP only, for sure.

From the FAQ:
"Additional configurations, including the Model 3 with standard equipment for $35,000, will become available as production ramps, which we expect to be in November 2017...."

It's possible that "additional configurations" could refer to such things as 18" Sport wheels (not going to hold my breath on that one) or hopefully some unbundling of the premium package.

From the FAQ:
"Additional configurations, including the Model 3 with standard equipment for $35,000, will become available as production ramps, which we expect to be in November 2017...."

It's possible that "additional configurations" could refer to such things as 18" Sport wheels (not going to hold my breath on that one) or hopefully some unbundling of the premium package.
Of course, with Tesla and options, anything can and will happen. But with the latest trend with the S and X, it looks like (lol) the direction is toward fewer options and more packages or only one. The S and X now have the same as the 3, one PUP. Batteries, and RWD (for now), yes. But no other options at all. SubZero, Towing, all gone into standard or PUP.

So, just saying, don't expect more variety except in wheels and color. Except to keep the cost low and the production simple, I'm even surprised they have RWD.

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
Agree. Battery, paint, and wheel upgrade is higher than I expected for a " Mass Market" car.
Can Tesla factory employees afford a $49K car?

Totally agree. Tesla is pricing options as if the Model 3 was a luxury vehicle (as in the S and X) rather than a "vehicle for the masses." I understand that tech is expensive but 9K for an extra 90 miles of range? I think they would've hit a home run with a price point of 50-55K for a fully loaded model rather than close to 60K.

Checking your math -- 35k base + 9k battery + 5k AP base = 49k.

I guess you also want 5k for luxury package, 1k for non-black paint, 1.5k for wheels and 3k for the non-yet-released L3 autopilot?

Then you are in 59.5k price point - you got everything available right now.

Correct :cool:

Config 1.JPG

I was budgeting for $57,500 but now will be at $48,700. Originally I thought of getting the larger battery with the extra motor. With the dual motors potentially losing $3,750 in the tax credit they are not worth an extra $8,500 or so. That will cause me to buy an ICE SUV and no real need for the extra range $9k savings.

Standard Battery ($35k)
Ultra White ($1.5k?)
Paint ($1k)
Autopilot ($5k)
Premium ($5k) (I consider this a $9,300 package)
Destination Fee: $1,200
Total: $48,700

Premium Upgrades
  • Premium heated seating and cabin materials throughout, including open pore wood décor and two rear USBs ($2k value)
  • 12-way, power adjustable front seats, steering column and side mirrors, with custom driver profiles ($1.5k value)
  • Premium audio system with more power, tweeters, surround speakers and subwoofer ($1.5k value
  • Tinted glass roof with ultraviolet and infrared protection ($3.5k value)
  • Auto dimming, power folding, heated side mirrors ($500 value)
  • LED fog lamps ($200 value)
  • Center console with covered storage and docking for two smartphones ($100 value)

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Any changes to options/packages will be announced here, on Electrek or Insideevs, correct? Or will we see the changes (if there will be at any)once we have access to the design studio?

Once we configure, do we have less than two weeks to cancel or change the configuration or does Tesla want a deposit first and foremost that will make permanent our initial configuration?

=====

What do we expect the loss in driving range to be for those of who have cold and frigid winter climates?

It seems the AWD in the 3 will not extend the driving range:

Choice of 220 or 310 mile range

Last edited:
I think the long range TM3 is priced exactly right, it splits the prices of an equivalently optioned BMW 330i and 340i, which has 0-60 of 5.4 and 4.8 respectively. The BMWs have base prices of $38.7K and 47.9K, but will need to add $5K for parking assist, nav, collision avoidance, which are included for M3. BMW need to add another $3K for LED lighting, moonroof, connectivity features, some of are equivalent to Tesla's $5K PUP. The 330i also has 17" base wheel I believe. So TM3 is very competitive against the BMW, not even counting the tax incentive, gas savings, less maintenance, cool factor.

Last edited:
i am in the situation with the OP. I would like the longer range, but don't have a long commute to work (34 miles round trip). I also do not do a lot of long trips either. I was only wanting the longer range as a sort of "protection" from future battery degradation. I have heard overtime that you lose a little range and thought if I lost say 5 miles on the 310 model, not a big deal, but it would stand out a little more with the 220 model.

If I get the 220 miles model, I will be able to get all of the other options where as if I get the 310 mile model, I would skip out on the EAP. I do not anticipate getting invited to configure anytime soon (reserved on 4/2/16 east coast at 11:00AM in store) so I will have some time to decide.

Thanks!
When I bought my S eight months ago the 60 to 75 upgrade was $6000 at purchase or $9000 post-purchase. Then it dropped to $7000 post-purchase a couple months later and I still passed. A few months later it dropped to $2000 and I jumped. I have been surprised at the number of people who have posted here that $2000 is still too expensive. Surprising, huh? Of course, the huge difference is the additional capacity is a software update so one can wait. I'm leaning towards passing on the $9000 bump for the 3 just as I did for the $6000 bump for the 3. But unfortunately I can't reconsider later. Tough decision.