Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So they delivered my Casper car today and I have a question...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So after waiting fifteen days that seemed like three months, Tesla delivered my white on white, performance Model 3 today and I'm in love with my car. As soon as I saw the car the name Casper popped inside my head. Therefore, the car will now be known as Casper. The stupid fast, battery powered friendly ghost. lol

Here's my question: I know I will use the frunk quite often and I did try it out today. Opening the frunk is super easy but closing it seems kind of scary. At first I thought all I had to do was close it gently. Nope, that doesn't do it. The latch doesn't get hooked by the mechanism inside. So I've realized I have to gently lower the lid then I have to use a good amount of pressure to get it to latch on the mechanism.

Is this normal or should the lid close much easier in a different manner than what I'm seeing?
IMG_0120.JPG

Yes it's normal and it's a generally acknowledged as a shortcoming in the model 3 design. It is a common complaint that the front trunk is difficult to close.

One tip is you don't need to slam it or push very forcefully. You need to apply consistent down pressure to hold the hood fully closed. This gives the latch mechanism time to latch. It still takes much more force than I would consider reasonable.

Some have replaced the spring in the latch with a lighter one, but that isn't a perfect solution either. While it appears this is safe, the lighter spring isn't strong enough to consistently pop the hood to open enough so it can easily be opened. This leaves the user digging a finger in between the corner of the hood to get it to open.

Either way you go it's awkward and reduces usability of the front trunk.

That's normal. the recommended way to close is with 2 hands next to the T emblem. Google frunk mod or something like that. some of us (myself included) change the strut and also the spring for the frunk so it opens up and soft closes. (there is a strut mod for trunk also).

So after waiting fifteen days that seemed like three months, Tesla delivered my white on white, performance Model 3 today and I'm in love with my car. As soon as I saw the car the name Casper popped inside my head. Therefore, the car will now be known as Casper. The stupid fast, battery powered friendly ghost. lol

Here's my question: I know I will use the frunk quite often and I did try it out today. Opening the frunk is super easy but closing it seems kind of scary. At first I thought all I had to do was close it gently. Nope, that doesn't do it. The latch doesn't get hooked by the mechanism inside. So I've realized I have to gently lower the lid then I have to use a good amount of pressure to get it to latch on the mechanism.

Is this normal or should the lid close much easier in a different manner than what I'm seeing?View attachment 440353

Normal.