Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So they've finally bumped up the UK ranges

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see on the Tesla site the Model 3 long range is up to 389 miles with the aero wheels and the Y is now 351 miles with same spec, which is a decent boost.

Presume this is the new 82kwh LG battery, seem in line with what the Europeans have been getting?

Bodes well for range if the structural battery pack contains the new 4680 battery (which it probably won't!!). A 400 mile Y would be the sweet spot for an upgrade.

I know for me that my 310m range on an August 2019 Long Range has proved to be far more than I need, even after some degradation. If I choose to replace it then the car-that-used-to-be-called-standard-range is 305 miles and have all that convenience of 100% being no issue, so realistically more than I need.

Perhaps adding range convinces more folks that haven't had an EV before, but certainly isn't much of a selling point to me.

Winter range is brutal, though (2019 LR)!

1642507649706.png

View attachment 756996
So have you done 6K miles in the 2.5 years you've had the car? Perhaps you are looking for one with sufficient range that you won't need to charge it after purchase.

Even in winter I'm rarely getting more than 320Wh/mile on any journey that involves coming close to the cars range, that estimate must be assuming about 380Wh/mile. Perhaps it made of very short journeys, but then why would charging be a problem.

Also to note that your degradation after 6K miles is worse than mine after 21K miles.

I know for me that my 310m range on an August 2019 Long Range has proved to be far more than I need, even after some degradation. If I choose to replace it then the car-that-used-to-be-called-standard-range is 305 miles and have all that convenience of 100% being no issue, so realistically more than I need.

Perhaps adding range convinces more folks that haven't had an EV before, but certainly isn't much of a selling point to me.
What’s your ‘degradation’? I started with 310 but it’s sitting at 287 now (100% on battery slider in the app)

View attachment 756996

Have you driven it down to a reasonably low percentage and then charged it back up again? I guess it's hard to be too scientific about it, but you've got less estimated range than I have in my 2020 M3P. :(

Screenshot 2022-01-18 at 14.07.17.png

Having said that temperatures being what they are I don't know how much faith one should have in any of these numbers.

Have you driven it down to a reasonably low percentage and then charged it back up again? I guess it's hard to be too scientific about it, but you've got less estimated range than I have in my 2020 M3P. :(

View attachment 757026

Having said that temperatures being what they are I don't know how much faith one should have in any of these numbers.
I drove it down to 1 or 2% back in August, that’s the lowest it’s ever been.

So have you done 6K miles in the 2.5 years you've had the car? Perhaps you are looking for one with sufficient range that you won't need to charge it after purchase.

Even in winter I'm rarely getting more than 320Wh/mile on any journey that involves coming close to the cars range, that estimate must be assuming about 380Wh/mile. Perhaps it made of very short journeys, but then why would charging be a problem.

Also to note that your degradation after 6K miles is worse than mine after 21K miles.
Yeah mostly lots of short little drives (sometimes 1,000+ Wh/mile). But I did just over 100 miles on Sunday (2 x 40 minute drives and 1 x 1h) and battery went from 79% to 27%, which works out to a 0 to 100% range of 197 miles. No big deal, but a small little shock to see how quickly the battery % was going down as I drove. This is my 3rd winter with the car, but I was still (mildly) surprised.

And of course you are right, range has never been an issue, but the winter range drop still catches me off guard.

Reactions: Beady3647
Yeah mostly lots of short little drives (sometimes 1,000+ Wh/mile). But I did just over 100 miles on Sunday (2 x 40 minute drives and 1 x 1h) and battery went from 79% to 27%, which works out to a 0 to 100% range of 197 miles. No big deal, but a small little shock to see how quickly the battery % was going down as I drove. This is my 3rd winter with the car, but I was still (mildly) surprised.

if its cold, each 'cold start' will hit your battery hard while it warms up. So muiltiple short trips will be much 'heavier' than one long one. three longish drives sounds in-between the extremes?

Reactions: rotor2k
I wouldn't overthink it to be honest. This time of year is really weird for assessing true range.

Reactions: rotor2k
What I'd love in the UK is a standard range (RWD) Model Y with the LFP battery pack. Only need the big range for road trips, and it doesn't make a huge difference once you get past the first recharge of the day.
Pretty sure it will come, eventually (probably sooner rather than later). Tesla's plan is LFP for all mass-market vehicles, with nickel-containing chemistry reserved for premium versions. Although, the advantages of the Long Range version is not just range, it's also faster supercharging. Tesla don't really advertise that enough (or at all) IMO, but it's one of the things that swayed me towards the M3LR (I wouldn't have known about it though if I hadn't been reading TMC for a while before ordering). Premium sound system was the other reason.

Last edited:
Pretty sure it will come, eventually (probably sooner rather than later). Tesla's plan is LFP for all mass-market vehicles, with nickel-containing chemistry reserved for premium versions. Although, the advantages of the Long Range version is not just range, it's also faster supercharging. Tesla don't really advertise that enough (or at all) IMO, but it's one of the things that swayed me towards the M3LR (I wouldn't have known about it though if I hadn't been reading TMC for a while before ordering). Premium sound system was the other reason.
I agree. I have a feeling that Tesla's NCA (or whatever they use in the LR/P cars) battery supply won't keep up with their car factory expansions. So they will have to sell a higher proportion of SR/RWD cars with LFP in order to sell more cars. When this translates to being able to order a LFP Model Y in the UK, I'm not sure, but I'll be near the front of the queue if I can!

Faster charging is a good point, not really one i'd considered. RWD LFP cars look to be doing about 25 minutes charging for every two hours on a motorway, which is good enough for me. Is there a handy graph overlaying the two charging curves? I googled but didn't find anything.

wasn't the SR+
I agree. I have a feeling that Tesla's NCA (or whatever they use in the LR/P cars) battery supply won't keep up with their car factory expansions. So they will have to sell a higher proportion of SR/RWD cars with LFP in order to sell more cars. When this translates to being able to order a LFP Model Y in the UK, I'm not sure, but I'll be near the front of the queue if I can!

Faster charging is a good point, not really one i'd considered. RWD LFP cars look to be doing about 25 minutes charging for every two hours on a motorway, which is good enough for me. Is there a handy graph overlaying the two charging curves? I googled but didn't find anything.

RSymons recently did a 2021 RWD (with the 60kwh battery) vs LR. That had some charge curve stuff in there - not only % battery but also miles added. Both were surprisngly close up to around 100 miles added. Yes the RWD is slower in absolute kw but its also a smaller battery.