Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So they've finally bumped up the UK ranges

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know for me that my 310m range on an August 2019 Long Range has proved to be far more than I need, even after some degradation. If I choose to replace it then the car-that-used-to-be-called-standard-range is 305 miles and have all that convenience of 100% being no issue, so realistically more than I need.

Perhaps adding range convinces more folks that haven't had an EV before, but certainly isn't much of a selling point to me.
You are not comparing like with like. 310 is the EPA range from 219 which you are comparing to the 2022 WLTP range.
the WLTP in 2019 on an LR was ( help me out someone) about 343 I think. Not sure what the EPA is now? 330-350 depending on battery I think its not 389 so you are not comparing like with like. Not saying the current cars are not more efficient particularly in winter with the heat pump but we are talking like a 40 mile improvement not an 80 mile one from 310 to 389.
There are so many more superchargers now as well that I think its easier driving a 2019 car in 2022 than it would have been driving a 2022 car in 2019.

Be aware that Tesla doesn't a) Choose to use WLTP figures nor b) Choose what those figures are.

WLTP is a set test/standard that all cars manufacturers have to follow. And in the UK at least Tesla has to state that figure. It's not allowed to state EPA, nor it's own. It has to do the test the way they mandate, and state the number it gives.

So while the WLTP figure may be wrong, misleading it's not Tesla's choice. They have to do it, and have to state it.

You are not comparing like with like. 310 is the EPA range from 219 which you are comparing to the 2022 WLTP range.
the WLTP in 2019 on an LR was ( help me out someone) about 343 I think. Not sure what the EPA is now? 330-350 depending on battery I think its not 389 so you are not comparing like with like. Not saying the current cars are not more efficient particularly in winter with the heat pump but we are talking like a 40 mile improvement not an 80 mile one from 310 to 389.
There are so many more superchargers now as well that I think its easier driving a 2019 car in 2022 than it would have been driving a 2022 car in 2019.
Fair point, but in 2019 I'm pretty sure the LR WLTP was something like 325. If I look just at EPA range, my 2019 LR is 310, a new Model 3 on 18" wheels is 272.

RSymons recently did a 2021 RWD (with the 60kwh battery) vs LR. That had some charge curve stuff in there - not only % battery but also miles added. Both were surprisngly close up to around 100 miles added. Yes the RWD is slower in absolute kw but its also a smaller battery.
That's perfect thank you. Worth looking at the table near the end, even for those who don't have time to watch the whole thing.

Reactions: Dommmm
do we know why tesla have reduced the power of the RWD motor? Surely if cost saving it would save barely anything - a few windings of copper (simplifying obviously) but the prices have gone up. Battery limits - well existing LFP cars have the higher performance motor so probably not that.

Just trying to increase the gap between it and the LR?

do we know why tesla have reduced the power of the RWD motor? Surely if cost saving it would save barely anything - a few windings of copper (simplifying obviously) but the prices have gone up. Battery limits - well existing LFP cars have the higher performance motor so probably not that.

Just trying to increase the gap between it and the LR?
The newer motors are believed to be made in China and are probably quite a bit cheaper.

I don't think it is a gap thing between it and the LR - it hasn't concerned them before. Within the market they probably feel they are still very competitive even with a slower time.

Slightly worrying that they have not informed anyone in the UK who are taking deliveries in Feb. and March that their range has now increased. I know some people in Germany got this text.
I have a M3LR collection on 10th Feb and I spoke to Tesla today after noticing the increase in range on their site and they confirmed that the LR now come with the LFP batteries. I'm still dubious until collection but I did ask twice and they were 100% certain that my car will have them.

I have a M3LR collection on 10th Feb and I spoke to Tesla today after noticing the increase in range on their site and they confirmed that the LR now come with the LFP batteries. I'm still dubious until collection but I did ask twice and they were 100% certain that my car will have them.
There is some confusion here. The LR doesn't come with LFP batteries. They are physically bigger and you wouldn't be able to fit enough capacity in to achieve the extra range that the the Long Range has over the standard range (RWD). The Battery in the Long Range has changed recently, but not to LFP.

There is some confusion here. The LR doesn't come with LFP batteries. They are physically bigger and you wouldn't be able to fit enough capacity in to achieve the extra range that the the long range has over the standard range (RWD). Someone at Tesla has got a bit confused!
Yup, @MrT3 just let me know that it's an increase in battery capacity not LFP. So Tesla were telling porkies.

Really? I wasn’t aware the LR now comes with the LFP. That’s interesting for sure