Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So this happened on the way to work this morning….[accident]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
D434D9DD-3EA8-4240-B40B-1989BDC24FA7.jpeg3468F999-FFBC-4DF2-8F8C-D9EE75713DBF.jpeg9AEB26F3-96C6-4283-A5ED-6DE277226F9F.jpeg19F0C237-3AA6-45BA-8433-8D21CF0BA7C5.jpeg67EFD068-2DEC-4D3C-8537-46F144FE64AA.jpeg
What: 2021 Model 3 Dual Motor 18k Miles

Where: Westbound New York Avenue NE, Washington, DC

Why: Guy in a Nissan Extera was tired of waiting for a cop to make a left turn three cars ahead, and pulled out just as I was passing by in my lane…. The good news is that he had insurance (seemingly a 50/50 bet around here).

Question: No injuries… I doubt the car is totaled, but it is going to need a fair amount. Fortunately, I think that there is no electronic, battery, or drivetrain damage. Opinions on how long it will take to get fixed, and how difficult will the guy’s insurance (State Farm) make it on me? Should I “lawyer up”? This is DC after all…

Thanks!

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Glad you didn't get shot. That guy appears to be less focused on getting along with society and more focused on compensating for his inadequacies.

Usually if more than 2 panels are scratched the car will be totaled but the scratch on your rear quarter is pretty small so I'd guesstimate 3 months and $30K.
Hertz rents Teslas now, hopefully you can get one at his expense.

I imagine the repair wont take long once parts are in. The damage seems localized to the doors and that rear quarter. Is that quarter damaged beyond just just the paint or is it dinged too. If its just paint it may buff out.
Fortunately, it is only paint on the fender and quarter panel. Still waiting on State Farm to either talk to the guy who hit me, or agree that the video from the car is proof enough…

Glad you didn't get shot. That guy appears to be less focused on getting along with society and more focused on compensating for his inadequacies.

Usually if more than 2 panels are scratched the car will be totaled but the scratch on your rear quarter is pretty small so I'd guesstimate 3 months and $30K.
Hertz rents Teslas now, hopefully you can get one at his expense.
Well I certainly hope not that the car will be totaled! If it is, then I will bring a lawyer into this! The car is one year old and and if it is totaled, I am going to expect a replacement, with no out of pocket money on my part…