Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So this happened today...

Jul 15, 2019
Cincinnati
Everything has been near perfect with the car. Have seen a few threads with this issue but no definitive resolution. Have service appointment set up in two weeks.

FML
IMG_20191022_192153.jpg

IMG_20191022_183800.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna

JohnSnowNW

Feb 13, 2015
Minnesota
This has happened about twice in the nearly one year of ownership...and about the same on our MX in over 2 years. It goes away on its own...and does not seem to be indicative of a larger issue.

Jul 15, 2019
Cincinnati
Double pinwheel reset does not make it go away? Try that next time if not.
it does not and the people who have experienced this (including myself) have found that it goes away after sitting overnight. there doesn't appear to be anything that can be done manually.

none of the posts i have seen has performed the "hard reset" that involves disconnecting the batteries, so not sure if that works.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod

Oldschool496

Sep 27, 2017
Florida
disconnecting the batteries
There is a trick to disconnecting the the 12V and the High Voltage battery. I would not advise ever doing that, unless you just got into a fender bender or other and really need to do that. IMO this is not a case for that kinda shutdown unless Tesla does it.

They have showed me how to do it, I'm out of that mode, its something they should do. If my memory serves me right:Negative 12 V, High voltage loop, then Positive 12V. Reverse to re-energize.

They did show me however how to Jump the 12V battery in my S, of which I was not entirely aware to get it moving for the last time before driving to service, I hope it never comes down to that.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod

inthecity

May 13, 2019
Canada
Double pinwheel reset does not make it go away? Try that next time if not.
Do you mean the scroll wheels on the steering wheel? Didn't help or fix it for me, but magically this morning's backing out of the garage was back to spot-on with no lines.

yes mine was gone this morning. skeptical about removing my service appt.

I hear you, but personally I'm more skeptical about poking and prodding around my car for a "phantom problem." I'm not sure what I'll do next.

KenC

Sep 4, 2018
Maine
Oftentimes, the car needs to sleep before it resets after the steering wheel button press, in order for a full reset to occur. That's why you find the car better the next morning.

Jul 15, 2019
Cincinnati
I think the antenna needs adjusting, or you can put aluminum foil on it to help the reception
no no no. it's obviously the blinker fluid. for everything that is maintenance free in this vehicle, i've found the blinker fluid to be the most troublesome. maybe i need to purchase a left-handed funnel?

Lasairfion

Jul 24, 2018
UK
Could simply be a bad connection. You'll see this happen on older laptops as the monitor connection that runs through the hinge area starts to degrade through the years of constant opening and closing. Likewise on CCTV where you have a dodgy cable run.

Jul 15, 2019
Cincinnati
Could simply be a bad connection. You'll see this happen on older laptops as the monitor connection that runs through the hinge area starts to degrade through the years of constant opening and closing. Likewise on CCTV where you have a dodgy cable run.
i struggle to accept your analogy on a three month old vehicle.

Wennfred

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Apr 4, 2019
San Diego
Try tapping on the screen to ensure it’s not a lose video cable or a cold solder joint, then tap on the rear camera.

Fred

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC