TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

So this happened today...

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by 640k, Oct 22, 2019.

1. 640k

640k Member

Everything has been near perfect with the car. Have seen a few threads with this issue but no definitive resolution. Have service appointment set up in two weeks.

FML IMG_20191022_192153.jpg

IMG_20191022_183800.jpg

• Informative x 1
  2. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

Yikes ..... Let us know what they say.

• Like x 1
  3. 1.21GW

1.21GW Member

Drugs are bad...mkayy..

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  4. Skione65

Skione65 Active Member

Is it “intermittent”, i.e. comes and goes. Or is it like that all the time. What’s the fix? Full MCU replacement?

Ski

• Like x 1
  5. GeoX750

GeoX750 Member

Did you try a reboot ?

• Like x 2
  6. inthecity

inthecity Member

this is beyond odd. I got the same thing, also today. See this thread: problem with rear view camera few users said that it was gone the next day.

Weird.

8A1EA329-17C5-46DC-A9D0-DFF3E0F7C788.jpeg

• Informative x 1
  7. 640k

640k Member

yes mine was gone this morning. skeptical about removing my service appt.

8. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

This has happened about twice in the nearly one year of ownership...and about the same on our MX in over 2 years. It goes away on its own...and does not seem to be indicative of a larger issue.

9. flyingowl

flyingowl Member

There is update for that.:p

10. Oldschool496

Oldschool496 Member

Double pinwheel reset does not make it go away? Try that next time if not.

• Like x 1
  11. 640k

640k Member

it does not and the people who have experienced this (including myself) have found that it goes away after sitting overnight. there doesn't appear to be anything that can be done manually.

none of the posts i have seen has performed the "hard reset" that involves disconnecting the batteries, so not sure if that works.

• Informative x 1
  12. Oldschool496

Oldschool496 Member

There is a trick to disconnecting the the 12V and the High Voltage battery. I would not advise ever doing that, unless you just got into a fender bender or other and really need to do that. IMO this is not a case for that kinda shutdown unless Tesla does it.

They have showed me how to do it, I'm out of that mode, its something they should do. If my memory serves me right:Negative 12 V, High voltage loop, then Positive 12V. Reverse to re-energize.

They did show me however how to Jump the 12V battery in my S, of which I was not entirely aware to get it moving for the last time before driving to service, I hope it never comes down to that.

• Informative x 1
  13. inthecity

inthecity Member

Do you mean the scroll wheels on the steering wheel? Didn't help or fix it for me, but magically this morning's backing out of the garage was back to spot-on with no lines.

I hear you, but personally I'm more skeptical about poking and prodding around my car for a "phantom problem." I'm not sure what I'll do next.

14. gaswalla

gaswalla Model S,3,X.. CT with Austin delivery

I think the antenna needs adjusting, or you can put aluminum foil on it to help the reception

15. KenC

KenC Active Member

Oftentimes, the car needs to sleep before it resets after the steering wheel button press, in order for a full reset to occur. That's why you find the car better the next morning.

16. 640k

640k Member

no no no. it's obviously the blinker fluid. for everything that is maintenance free in this vehicle, i've found the blinker fluid to be the most troublesome. maybe i need to purchase a left-handed funnel?

17. Lasairfion

Lasairfion Member

Could simply be a bad connection. You'll see this happen on older laptops as the monitor connection that runs through the hinge area starts to degrade through the years of constant opening and closing. Likewise on CCTV where you have a dodgy cable run.

18. 640k

640k Member

i struggle to accept your analogy on a three month old vehicle.

19. Wennfred

Wennfred Supporting Member

Try tapping on the screen to ensure it’s not a lose video cable or a cold solder joint, then tap on the rear camera.

Fred