Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So Tired of Curb Rash!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Resist

Mar 24, 2019
California
Getting so tired of curb rash on my Model 3. I've never had curb rash on any other vehicle that I've ever had, to this extent. This is because Tesla uses tires that are flush with the rims. They need beefier tires to protect the rims from curb rash. If not that then how about sensors that detect a curb near the wheels and stop the car before the damage is done.

You can put on wider tires when you replace them. Or you can put on protectors.

or you can stop hitting the curb.
Oh yeah, I can certainly buy new tires, which are expensive. But I shouldn't have to. And it's almost impossible to hit curbs in a Model 3, if you haven't yet...you will. Even auto parking it hit a curb!

Oh yeah, I can certainly buy new tires, which are expensive. But I shouldn't have to. And it's almost impossible to hit curbs in a Model 3, if you haven't yet...you will. Even auto parking it hit a curb!

I haven't hit a curb in my Model 3 after over a year of ownership. But then again, I just don't hit curbs in any of my cars, ever.

Getting so tired of curb rash on my Model 3. I've never had curb rash on any other vehicle that I've ever had, to this extent. This is because Tesla uses tires that are flush with the rims. They need beefier tires to protect the rims from curb rash. If not that then how about sensors that detect a curb near the wheels and stop the car before the damage is done.
You can add alloygators which accomplish the same thing for a lot less money. Would also be helpful to point out which wheels you are talking about. Different wheels have different susceptibility to curb rash (especially of different diameters, as smaller diameter wheels sometimes make it is above the curb).

The only way to be 100% certain is either to park further from the curb (don't aim to almost be touching every time) or if you must be close to the curb, take some time to practice and find reliable reference points of car body (for example position of curb vs wiper blade when x-inches away) vs curb line when parking. Both driver's and passenger's side, can practice where there are lines instead of a real curb.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt
If only Teslas shipped w/a virtual overhead view. Examples are Nissan Around View Monitor and GM Surround Vision. Many other automakers have features like this. Makes it easier to avoid damaging wheels when parking next to a curb.

I've been enjoying
(0:49 has the right side curb view) since July 2013 as my former leased '13 Leaf and my current owned used '13 Leaf have it. Was part of the premium package. My '19 Bolt Premier (as do all '17 to present Premiers) have GM Surround Vision. Unfortunately, '17 to '19 only have an overhead view and no right side curb view w/lousy picture quality, to boot. That was all remedied on '20.

I've test driven Toyotas that were '19 model year or earlier that had left and right side curb views including zoom in/out on their Around View Monitor equivalent.
at 2:37 shows the left and right side views.

Last edited:
"And it's almost impossible to hit curbs in a Model 3"

Meant to say it's almost impossible to not hit curbs. I have the 18" wheels and took off the aero caps but it wouldn't have mattered with them on because the edge of the rim is still exposed. Maybe if Tesla designed an aero cap that covered that part of the rim would have been better and less expensive to repair.

The fold down mirrors and cameras don't prevent curb rash on the front wheels.

Well this is not the only rim post, nor the last.
There are easy DIY solutions and getting it done is
cheap as well. It happens stuff. Now Im off to lockdown
free shots for all of the folks that have never rolled through
a stop or hit a curb.

Try a search on rash

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.