Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So Tired of Curb Rash!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I curbed a wheel today, coming out of a Supercharger. I had considerately parked as far away from the other charging cars as possible, right next to the transformer block, and when I pulled away I misjudged the length of the concrete margin around the transformer before turning. I was looking at both the mirrors and the cameras at the time, but it was a genuine blind spot. The parking sensor tones did not activate.

I’ve only curb rashed once before, and that was trying to park at the curved curb outside my house. It’s a convex space that’s difficult to judge. I have the hang of it now, but once again the sensors, cameras and mirrors didn’t help.

My point being: don’t impugn the driving skills of people just because they’ve rashed up a few times. The car is engineered around standard conditions, and conditions aren’t always standard.

This is funny.

my wife and I were just discussing this over the weekend.

out of all the BMW’s and Porsche’s we have owned our model 3’s are the ONLY cars we have legitimately f$&@3d up every single rim on both cars! LOL . I sold each one of my bimmers with flawless wheels.

Curb rash so bad on my model 3 there is still red paint in one of my rims from a fire lane curb.

the best part!?

I don’t care at all!!! Hahahaha

BMW days I was so worried about everything!!

with Tesla I don’t know why but I have zero worries.

drove the car out on pismo beach last weekend. 18 LR RWD handled the sand with ease!

Best road trip car ever!!

The foolproof solution is to reverse park to get the rear wheels close to the kerb using the mirrors and then steer full lock forward toward the kerb until the front of the tyre brushes the kerb (rather than the rim). Then reverse back a couple of inches and straighten the wheel. Works every time with zero chance of damage.

Hey, that's my invention! I don't actually reverse though after the front wheel touches. I do that only very lightly, then straighten the wheel slowly while taking the front wheel another tad closer to the curb. Works forward or backward.

By the way, after you have curb-rashed your wheels often enough, they look better again with their continuous, homogeneous rash all around. Almost like new. If somebody asks, tell them that's how it should be. :)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: TBrownTX and Slate
Hey, that's my invention! I don't actually reverse though after the front wheel touches. I do that only very lightly, then straighten the wheel slowly while taking the front wheel another tad closer to the curb. Works forward or backward.

By the way, after you have curb-rashed your wheels often enough, they look better again with their continuous, homogeneous rash all around. Almost like new. If somebody asks, tell them that's how it should be. :)

Yep, worst approach is to try and steer parallel to the curb when parking very close, especially when parking forward. Basically use the front of the tyre to find the curb when parking close, not the edge of the wheel rim!

Another approach when parking forward (and the curb is not too high) is to actually drive up onto the curb and then drop back down, but again the front wheel must have a decent amount of lock applied so the tyre hits the curb more or less square on. Same when dropping back down otherwise you are in for a nasty scrape!

Rim repair in the US is billion dollar a year business, so someone's hitting curbs.

So if you want to protect your aero rims, or cover existing curb damage, take a look at the Remetrix Orbital Wheel Covers when they become available, as it will be cheaper than a rim repair, on a per wheel basis.

hmm + also a slight efficiency gain. Wonder how meaningful will this be for a SR .It bothers me that they can't spell efficiency though :)

easqrqbu7opju4xrr6vj.png

with the abundance of cameras and sensors.. how does curb rash even happen.

Sensors didn’t go off in my case.

To the larger “theme” going on in this thread, I’ve been driving for 23 years. I curbed my first car (I think I was 19) and never again....until I became an M3 owner last year. I curbed it twice in the first four months.

Yes, it is “user error”. No, it is not “Tesla’s fault” nor is it something they need to “fix”.

However, people are being just a tad disingenuous if they believe the Model 3 OEM wheels aren’t easier to curb than other cars. For a lot of people (my self included), this is the first car they’ve driven with wheels like this.

So maybe a more constructive comment might be something like, “Yeah, it happens, gotta be a little more careful with this particular car” while secretly being glad that you’re not the one with scuffed up rims.

Status
Not open for further replies.