Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So torn between 2021 Performance and LR+Boost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BornToFly

Supporting Member
May 8, 2013
Baby Jet
My son's car was parked on the street and totaled when someone ran into it. It was a 2018 LR. We can't decide on the replacement. I think he should get the LR + Boost. He wants the Performance. Personally, I don't see the point of spending $6k more to loose around 40 miles of range, have a rougher ride, and worry about dented 20 inch rims. He lives in LA and traffic sucks.... He doesn't have easy access to charging, so I think the extra 40 miles is a big deal. He wants the Performance for the "improved handling" and slightly faster acceleration. Thoughts?

• Love
Reactions: Rottenapplr
I have to laugh at the "improved handling" reasoning. If he really wants improved handling, he should go with the LR and spend a few grand to put the car on good coilover suspension (and perhaps upgrade other suspension components). He can also upgrade the wheels and/or tires if he wants and stay under the $6k difference in price.

But let's be honest, his desire for the P is probably not about handling. It's about the slightly faster acceleration and "cooler" looking stock wheels.

The handling is just as good with the right tires :). As far as the acceleration the performance model will blow away the LR off the line but when rolling it is much closer. The new performance wheels look a bit stronger than the previous but only time will tell. He will definitely charge more frequently but it is not that drastic if he’s in LA he will basically have to charge once a week with either car depending on his commute. LR+Boost will also increase his energy depletion rate and result in less range Tesla just doesn’t account for the heavy foot :)

• Helpful
Reactions: BornToFly
Chalk up another win for the Stealth aka “best of both worlds” option! Using the savings to add an aftermarket MPP Sport Coilover suspension solved the ride/handling/wheel gap issue better than stock with enough $ left over for PPF to make the perfect Model 3. YMMV — stay healthy!

• Love
Reactions: Dolemite and Pkmmte
Wish Tesla was still selling the Stealth M3. I was torn between the 2 cars and decided to go for the LR+ boost instead of the performance. Only thing I was wanting out of the performance package was the better acceleration. Couldn't justify paying the extra up front plus being in the midwest we get alot of potholes and coming on summer tires meant either swapping tires for the winter or extra set of wheels so really started to add up to more than the gain in acceleration was worth for me. Plus I don't plan on tracking the car.

Reactions: hightower82
A secondary Issue is , That the (+ boost) you purchase is not yours to keep. You are kinda renting it. If you sell or trade the LR AWD Model 3 that has had the use of the +50 boost from Tesla . The + 50 boost will not stay with the car. Even if you are under the existing warranty ! When the car is registered to the new owner . Tesla takes back the +50 boost you paid for. !! _PTE_

A secondary Issue is , That the (+ boost) you purchase is not yours to keep. You are kinda renting it. If you sell or trade the LR AWD Model 3 that has had the use of the +50 boost from Tesla . The + 50 boost will not stay with the car. Even if you are under the existing warranty ! When the car is registered to the new owner . Tesla takes back the +50 boost you paid for. !! _PTE_
I thought that only applies if you sell the car to Tesla. They are then free to remove software features. Any software add-on should stay with the car during private party sales. Subscriptions are different.

I thought that only applies if you sell the car to Tesla. They are then free to remove software features. Any software add-on should stay with the car during private party sales. Subscriptions are different.

Correct. Tesla can only mess with the car once they own it again. If you sell to a different dealer or in a private sale, they cannot remove software features due solely to the transfer of ownership. The one gray area seems to be Supercharging, and that only matters on salvage titled vehicles.

My son's car was parked on the street and totaled when someone ran into it. It was a 2018 LR. We can't decide on the replacement. I think he should get the LR + Boost. He wants the Performance. Personally, I don't see the point of spending $6k more to loose around 40 miles of range, have a rougher ride, and worry about dented 20 inch rims. He lives in LA and traffic sucks.... He doesn't have easy access to charging, so I think the extra 40 miles is a big deal. He wants the Performance for the "improved handling" and slightly faster acceleration. Thoughts?

I read through the thread, but dont see the answer to one of the most important questions regarding this.

Who is actually paying for it? If its your son, all you are doing is providing input, its your sons decision and its up to him to decide if the extra money is "worth it" not you.

If its you, its up to you to decide whether you are willing to pay for it, and your son can only provide input. There is no "we cant decide" because the actual decision maker is the person paying for it. The only way its "we" who cant decide is if you are both paying for it together, which is unlikely.

If he wants to buy the performance, and is the one paying for it, then it doesnt matter if you think the range hit is too much, or the tires or to expensive. Give your opinion, and let him make his choice. If you are paying, tell him you are not willing to pay for those things, so he can give you the money difference between the two if he wants it (including the interest), and if you are paying for insurance as well, the difference between those costs too, if any.

Seems fairly simple to me.

How old is your son? If he's in his 20's, there's no convincing him of practicality, lol. He just wants to impress girls (although most girls don't care about cars).
Anyway, I was torn between the two as well. I went with LR AWD plus boost because the 6k you spend on the performance version only gets you 0.5 seconds faster and, as you pointed out, the wheels it comes with are prone to damage very easily. Just not worth it. If you can find one, get a used LR AWD from 2018 (verify it has the 980 motor) and buy the Ghost module from ingenext and you'll have a performance car without the high price tag and crazy wheels?

I just want "everything"
Would have bought a stealth, but there aren't any more of those so I got the P.
I'm paying for vanity, but I don't have a problem with that.
If you aren't tracking the car then you can only justify the P with vanity or edge-cases. Same goes for accel boost.

Not sure if the 2018 LR is more than 2 years old, but if not, wouldn't your insurance just replace it with a new LR? Maybe this is a quirk of Canadian insurance, but pretty much every insurance policy I've seen here will replace the car outright with a new one if it's totalled in the first two years.

For me, I'm planning on a P in spring. I live about 45 miles away from the longest rack in Canada (3 miles) that also has a couple wall connectors, and I'm planning on using it :)