Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So torn between 2021 Performance and LR+Boost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if the 2018 LR is more than 2 years old, but if not, wouldn't your insurance just replace it with a new LR? Maybe this is a quirk of Canadian insurance, but pretty much every insurance policy I've seen here will replace the car outright with a new one if it's totalled in the first two years.

For me, I'm planning on a P in spring. I live about 45 miles away from the longest rack in Canada (3 miles) that also has a couple wall connectors, and I'm planning on using it :)

Maybe car insurance works differently in Canada than in the US, but here, they dont "replace the car" at all. They simply pay out the value of the old car to the leinholder, either the bank or you. Then, you go buy "something else", once you have that money (or the loan is gone).

So you are saying in canada they actually simply replace the vehicle (as in you dont have a choice to buy a different vehicle) for a totaled car?

A secondary Issue is , That the (+ boost) you purchase is not yours to keep. You are kinda renting it. If you sell or trade the LR AWD Model 3 that has had the use of the +50 boost from Tesla . The + 50 boost will not stay with the car. Even if you are under the existing warranty ! When the car is registered to the new owner . Tesla takes back the +50 boost you paid for. !! _PTE_
I have seen quite a few LR Model 3’s listed for sale by Tesla on their site that show the boost included. If you sell the car privately the boost stays with the car. If you trade the car back to Tesla they can sell the car anyway they wish, the could scrap the car if they wanted because they own the car but as I said they have been reselling them listed as trade in.

I own a M3LR with Acceleration Boost and decided to go for a Performance now. Basically, price difference is smaller now (compared to back when I bought the M3) and with track mode V2, it has a lot going for it. On the current M3 I have 20" rims and no problems with them, so I don't see the 20" as a disadvantage. The P is slightly lowered, which is great. I had the current M3 lowered, because I felt it was ridiculously high.

Both are excellent choices, but for me the Performance is the best deal.

How old is your son? The P can get you in trouble REAL fast for inexperienced drivers trying to push it. I’d say the LR is the more sensible choice.
I find it hard to imagine that the son will get in to trouble only with the 3.1s 0-to-60 of the P and not with the 3.9s of the LR+Boost! Both are supercar territory not long ago.

This is not like the old days of comparing a 6-cylinder to a 4-cylinder version of the same car.

I presume this has been brought up already - GET THE STEALTH. No compromises - all the range, practicality, and comfort AND all the speed. It's the performance but instead of silly rubber-band tires and boy-racer touches it is finished off to look just like the LR AWD. They do still exist but they are unicorns and are much harder to find than the two variants you are between.

I own a M3LR with Acceleration Boost and decided to go for a Performance now. Basically, price difference is smaller now (compared to back when I bought the M3) and with track mode V2, it has a lot going for it. On the current M3 I have 20" rims and no problems with them, so I don't see the 20" as a disadvantage. The P is slightly lowered, which is great. I had the current M3 lowered, because I felt it was ridiculously high.

Both are excellent choices, but for me the Performance is the best deal.

what do you think the P feels like compare to the LRAWD with boost?
How far do you have to press the pedal to make the P feels similar to the boosted LRAWD? Like 80%?

I presume this has been brought up already - GET THE STEALTH. No compromises - all the range, practicality, and comfort AND all the speed. It's the performance but instead of silly rubber-band tires and boy-racer touches it is finished off to look just like the LR AWD. They do still exist but they are unicorns and are much harder to find than the two variants you are between.

i have the stealth and its the Grand Daddy Touring car. You have it all: range, performance, pothole resistance, acceleration. That said the there is no difference in rolling acceleration between the AWD/P anyway (above 60kmh).

Reactions: BetterSlowDown
Thanks for all the replies. We ended up ordering the Performance.... (Giving back to the company after making so much money on TSLA). Website says 8-12 weeks. Hopefully it won't be that long. I'll let you know how it drives, etc., once we get it.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
what do you think the P feels like compare to the LRAWD with boost?
How far do you have to press the pedal to make the P feels similar to the boosted LRAWD? Like 80%?

Difference is mainly off the mark. There the difference is huge. If you are above 60 km/h, it’s exactly the same with the LR with boost.

For me the fun is mainly in track mode. That’s what makes the Performance shine.

I read through the thread, but dont see the answer to one of the most important questions regarding this.

Who is actually paying for it? If its your son, all you are doing is providing input, its your sons decision and its up to him to decide if the extra money is "worth it" not you.

If its you, its up to you to decide whether you are willing to pay for it, and your son can only provide input. There is no "we cant decide" because the actual decision maker is the person paying for it. The only way its "we" who cant decide is if you are both paying for it together, which is unlikely.

If he wants to buy the performance, and is the one paying for it, then it doesnt matter if you think the range hit is too much, or the tires or to expensive. Give your opinion, and let him make his choice. If you are paying, tell him you are not willing to pay for those things, so he can give you the money difference between the two if he wants it (including the interest), and if you are paying for insurance as well, the difference between those costs too, if any.

Seems fairly simple to me.
I agree with this reasoning.

I'm also about to pull the trigger on a new M3. I'm leaning towards LR+ boost for the same reasons many have pointed out.

It's hard enough getting a regular 2021 P these days (no inventory, and a few months' wait after ordering), finding a stealth model is going to be darn near impossible. Has anyone even seen a 2021 Stealth P?

Reactions: Jeff Davlt
My son's car was parked on the street and totaled when someone ran into it. It was a 2018 LR. We can't decide on the replacement. I think he should get the LR + Boost. He wants the Performance. Personally, I don't see the point of spending $6k more to loose around 40 miles of range, have a rougher ride, and worry about dented 20 inch rims. He lives in LA and traffic sucks.... He doesn't have easy access to charging, so I think the extra 40 miles is a big deal. He wants the Performance for the "improved handling" and slightly faster acceleration. Thoughts?

Pretty much a Gen Z vs Boomer debate.

Youngins don’t care about practicality. He could cover the cost difference in a week with some Robinhood trading.

My son's car was parked on the street and totaled when someone ran into it. It was a 2018 LR. We can't decide on the replacement. I think he should get the LR + Boost. He wants the Performance. Personally, I don't see the point of spending $6k more to loose around 40 miles of range, have a rougher ride, and worry about dented 20 inch rims. He lives in LA and traffic sucks.... He doesn't have easy access to charging, so I think the extra 40 miles is a big deal. He wants the Performance for the "improved handling" and slightly faster acceleration. Thoughts?
I agree. 40 miles can mean a lot if you don’t have charging. Plus in all honestly whether you get a performance or boost eventually the speed becomes normal and it doesn’t feel “fast” imho and you drive it normally.