Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So torn between 2021 Performance and LR+Boost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I strongly suggest buying the son a Model S Performance! Girls obviously won't go for anyone driving a car not capable of Ludicrous mode. Besides, how can he show his face to his circle of friends driving a car that needs more than 3 seconds to do 0-60mph!

The M3P is obviously too slow, and he will be seriously embarrassed in not being the fastest car at a stoplight when he street races in residential neighborhoods!

Sarcasm off.

Originally I ordered a Performance and then changed down to a LR AWD (without boost). 0-60 in 4.2s is still very quick and there are not many traffic lights where we live. So rolling acceleration is more relevant and there isn't much difference between them in that respect. 20" wheels are also a liability on our potholed, bumpy rural roads and sharp edged kerbs. No intention of ever tracking this car, so a no-brainer really in the end. I think general wear and tear on the drivetrain and suspension may also be better with the LR AWD.

The other important issue is brakes.

Not unless you plan to take it on a race track.

They make absolutely no difference of any kind in normal street-legal use, other than costing more to maintain and repair if you ever need to.

(if you DO plan to take it on a race track you're likely to want to go aftermarket either way- the P brakes ain't that big an upgrade for significant track use)

Originally I ordered a Performance and then changed down to a LR AWD (without boost). 0-60 in 4.2s is still very quick

3.9 if you measure it the same way Tesla measures the P.

3.5 with the boost upgrade.

Reactions: BetterSlowDown
Yeah I'd forgotten about the apples vs oranges accel figures for the P models. Marketing hey!

Anyway anything that gets to 60 in under 4 seconds is in supercar territory. My Model X 75D is "slow" by comparison at 0-60 in 4.9s, yet still feels quicker than my 911 in real world driving due to the instant response and single gear. So I doubt I'll bother with the boost upgrade, but can always add it later if I ever feel the need. Boost puts performance close enough to the P as makes no difference, but still a fair bit cheaper. For me the P only makes sense if you are doing track days, but I suspect 99% are bought for the top trumps vanity. Fair play, it does undeniably look good lowered on big wheels and colourful Brembo calipers.

I still think the ultimate option for pure road use was the original stealth P, which is what I had on my initial 2018 reservation. Unfortunately I cancelled that as the timing didn't work out and when I came to re-order again the stealth option was gone! But as consolation I do now at least get the 2021 updates, which I happen to prefer.

Personally, I don't see the point of spending $6k more to loose around 40 miles of range, have a rougher ride, and worry about dented 20 inch rims.

Thanks for all the replies. We ended up ordering the Performance.... (Giving back to the company after making so much money on TSLA).

This was probably the right choice if range is actually a concern. The Performance 2021 actually has more range than the LR AWD 2021 when it is properly equipped, squeezing the 18" Aero wheels and stock tires (with ~5mm spacer) around those brakes (which is possible, with some modifications, but it is tight - people do it though).

This is because you're getting a battery that has been confirmed to have at least 3.5% more energy with the Performance 2021. ~80.5kWh. vs. ~77.8kWh for the starting capacity.

At some point the AWD will get the same, probably, but no evidence of that so far.

Last edited:
squeezing the 18" Aero wheels and stock tires (with ~5mm spacer) around those brakes (which is possible, with some modifications, but it is tight - people do it though).

Alternatively, the following wheels have been shown (in tests performed at a Transport Canada facility) to have the same efficiency as the Aero Wheels and are available with proper ferment for the P. https://www.fastwheels.ca/ProductInfoMin.aspx?wn=EV01(+)&fn=Titanium&lang=en-US Retail pricing seems to be much lower than MSRP indicated on the page I linked to.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Had the same dilemma. I ordered a LR3 and planned to get AB, but then FOMO got the best of me and I switched to the PM3. It's hard to completely justify based on pure economics, but I like the bigger wheels, the calipers, and the maybe slightly better suspension. Picking it up on Thursday!! I think you can't go wrong either way.

Had the same dilemma. I ordered a LR3 and planned to get AB, but then FOMO got the best of me and I switched to the PM3. It's hard to completely justify based on pure economics, but I like the bigger wheels, the calipers, and the maybe slightly better suspension. Picking it up on Thursday!! I think you can't go wrong either way.
Did you test drive both before getting. The Performance has faaar more kick from the line. It’s violent takeoff vs the AB. It’s about the same difference as when I ride in my friends P100D. That thing makes me almost black out at takeoff. :eek: