Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So torn...m3 my sr+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need some help.

I had a deposit on a Model Y but after having it at my house I wasn’t 80K wow’ed and my wife didn’t love the look over the styling of the 3.

I can afford a Y but I hate car payments on depreciating assets. My Q5 lease went back during Covid. So while Model 3 LR AWD seems the best bet, I’ll be back into $800-900 monthly payments. I don’t miss not seeing $900 leave my
Account every month!

Issue #3 - the SR+ seems to be the best value with the Ontario incentive, and the price is fine but I’m giving up so much! Not sure I’ll regret not having AWD, extra range, premium sound etc.

would still need winter tires etc,

biggest trip would be Windsor to Toronto and Windsor to detroit airport (someday)

I looked at some Used options, like 2018 LR RWD but again with Tesla’s incremental upgrades I will be missing a lot of improvements.

it’s worth nothing I do have a wife and two kids - but my wife really hated the Y.

thoughts? suggestions? suck it up buttercup?

I need some help.

I had a deposit on a Model Y but after having it at my house I wasn’t 80K wow’ed and my wife didn’t love the look over the styling of the 3.

I can afford a Y but I hate car payments on depreciating assets. My Q5 lease went back during Covid. So while Model 3 LR AWD seems the best bet, I’ll be back into $800-900 monthly payments. I don’t miss not seeing $900 leave my
Account every month!

Issue #3 - the SR+ seems to be the best value with the Ontario incentive, and the price is fine but I’m giving up so much! Not sure I’ll regret not having AWD, extra range, premium sound etc.

biggest trip would be Windsor to Toronto and Windsor to detroit airport (someday)

I looked at some Used options, like 2018 LR RWD but again with Tesla’s incremental upgrades I will be missing a lot of improvements.

it’s worth nothing I do have a wife and two kids - but my wife really hated the Y.

My wife HATES my Model S85D. I've had it for 5 1/2 years, 140,000 KM. She drives her Mazda, I drive my Tesla. Win-Win.
Get what you want.

I need some help.

Account every month!

Get the less expensive Model 3. Your wife prefers the 3. It's the car she prefers, you presumably like it well enough, and it's much less expensive. You could also put more down if you have some dry powder and reduce those payments, assuming you're buying and not leasing.

Definitely go for the AWD Long Range, especially because there's 'winter' where you live. You'll get the premium interior and other quality-of-life upgrades, not the least of which is two motors. You can throw on an acceleration upgrade later if the mood strikes. On balance, I prefer loads of range. Not just because of long trips but because I sometimes like to feel the acceleration.

Good luck, and please update us when you make a decision.

You’ve not said much about function. Will you or your wife be the primary driver? Are those 2 kids little or big and is this to be the primary kid-hauler? When at superchargers I have seen a few model 3’s with a family of 4, and when the kids are teenagers, it looks totally cramped. The Y is much more practical although I agree the 3 looks better.

Reactions: GSP
Good question.

My wife has a small Audi so this would be my / our other family car. We would have two smaller cars then. As I said we used to have a q5.

I work from home. My kids are 10 and 7.

Pre-covid I made a monthly trip from Windsor Toronto (about 400KM) and a bunch of trips from Windsor to detroit airport.

That trip is 80KM each way, sometimes the car would be there multiple day, lots of trips in the snow and early morning.

Post-pandemic I doubt I will travel as much right away. We live in a small town, I drive the kids to school each day, I drive to the gym, I run errands etc. odd trips to lessons if they’re happening.

That’s why I sometimes I think the SR+ could make sense, until it doesn’t.

It’s $14,000 less, but I don’t want to regret it...

I need some help.

Account every month!

It’s easy for someone else to suggest you go for all the upgrades when it isn’t their money. Sure, AWD would be nice, but My car is plowing through the snow before it gets stuck with its RWD. And AWD doesn’t do anything for you when you need it most... stopping quickly.

I do a trip to Sarnia and Sudbury from Toronto a couple times a year. I don’t mind stopping at a supercharger for 30 minutes. Even the LR model would need a top-up along the way.

I could’ve afforded the LR but spending the an extra $20k didn’t make sense for a bit more acceleration, range and a subwoofer. The difference in time I’d be waiting at a supercharger over the life of the vehicle isn’t worth an extra $20k for me.

And I do t think I’m the only one with that opinion. Well over half the Canadians who submitted their purchase deets to the TMC spreadsheet ordered a SR+.

Good question.

My wife has a small Audi so this would be my / our other family car. We would have two smaller cars then. As I said we used to have a q5.

I work from home. My kids are 10 and 7.

Pre-covid I made a monthly trip from Windsor Toronto (about 400KM) and a bunch of trips from Windsor to detroit airport.

That trip is 80KM each way, sometimes the car would be there multiple day, lots of trips in the snow and early morning.

Post-pandemic I doubt I will travel as much right away. We live in a small town, I drive the kids to school each day, I drive to the gym, I run errands etc. odd trips to lessons if they’re happening.

That’s why I sometimes I think the SR+ could make sense, until it doesn’t.

It’s $14,000 less, but I don’t want to regret it...
I’ve been doing Toronto/Kingsville for the past 4 years on the regular (once a month, sometimes twice) in my MS85. I can technically make it during warmer weather without stopping in London/Woodstock/Cambridge/Comber but I’d have to drive very carefully, so I stop for a quick bathroom break or bite to eat, usually.

A few weeks ago, I borrowed my friend’s LR M3 and it was really nice not *needing* to stop. I’ve ordered a MY LR and I’m happy that I will now have the option to do the trip without stopping (keeping the MS also).

That being said, it’s not THAT big a deal to stop and Supercharge, but consider if you will have charging available/convenient in Toronto, otherwise, you’ll have to stop again somewhere in Toronto to keep the battery above 20% while it’s parked (especially in the winter).

I wouldn’t worry about the YQG - DTW runs with a SR+.

I feel your dilemma. I’m not happy about a new car payment after not having one for a couple of years. If the $14k feels better in your pocket, due to the limited frequency of your trips to Toronto, I think you’d be fine with the SR+. If you don’t feel like stopping one month, take the Audi.

I’ve been doing Toronto/Kingsville for the past 4 years on the regular (once a month, sometimes twice) in my MS85. I can technically make it during warmer weather without stopping in London/Woodstock/Cambridge/Comber but I’d have to drive very carefully, so I stop for a quick bathroom break or bite to eat, usually.

A few weeks ago, I borrowed my friend’s LR M3 and it was really nice not *needing* to stop. I’ve ordered a MY LR and I’m happy that I will now have the option to do the trip without stopping (keeping the MS also).

That being said, it’s not THAT big a deal to stop and Supercharge, but consider if you will have charging available/convenient in Toronto, otherwise, you’ll have to stop again somewhere in Toronto to keep the battery above 20% while it’s parked (especially in the winter).

I wouldn’t worry about the YQG - DTW runs with a SR+.

I feel your dilemma. I’m not happy about a new car payment after not having one for a couple of years. If the $14k feels better in your pocket, due to the limited frequency of your trips to Toronto, I think you’d be fine with the SR+. If you don’t feel like stopping one month, take the Audi.

FWIW, I am in Kingsville.

I drive from Amherstburg to St. Catharines (380km one way) weekly in my 2019 SR+. I really don’t mind stopping once each way to Supercharge.

Just hit 50,000K!

I need some help.

Account every month!

With a family of 4, the extra room in the Y will be appreciated. The back seat is more roomy and comfortable, and the extra luggage space is almost a must for family road trips. The Y has a heat pump, providing less range reduction on winter trips. With AWD and the bigger battery compared to the SR+ it will be a more capable car.

The Y can also tow a 3500 lb. trailer if you ever decide to get a small camper, or just rent a trailer to move large items around town.

With the extra utility, and the premium features, you likely will be more satisfied with the Y over the SR+. Your wife might warm up to it as well after longer experience with it. It might even end up being her daily driver. It happens.:)

That said, the SR+ should be a perfectly suitable car as long as you can make do with the back seat and luggage space, even in Canadian winters. It is up to you to determine if you are comfortable with spending the extra for the Y or not.

Good Luck with your decision,

GSP

Reactions: canadianeh
I decided to suck it up and order the LR AWD Model 3 - my wife looked again and was adamant she didn't want the Model Y. Happy Wife...

And I debated all morning but in the end decided I would likely regret not having AWD + the extra range, premium sound, even though it comes at a hefty premium and I miss the Ontario Rebate.

Now we wait! Thanks all for your help. Exciting.

Reactions: Smytty and 03DSG
I decided to suck it up and order the LR AWD Model 3 - my wife looked again and was adamant she didn't want the Model Y. Happy Wife...

And I debated all morning but in the end decided I would likely regret not having AWD + the extra range, premium sound, even though it comes at a hefty premium and I miss the Ontario Rebate.

Now we wait! Thanks all for your help. Exciting.

I get the MY on the 21st. I'll be in Kingsville that weekend. Let me know if you want me to pop by and change your wife's mind. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3
I get the MY on the 21st. I'll be in Kingsville that weekend. Let me know if you want me to pop by and change your wife's mind. ;)

I was in the same boat as my wife. Wanted the Y. Had a deposit on the Y. The Y came to our house for a couple of hours and I wasn't "Wow'ed" by the form factor/look over the 3. Prefer the shape/sporty/body of the 3. I think a nice small car is suitable for us for now.

But happy to connect if I have mine by then!

I was in a similar dilemma sort of. Kept debating between the Model Y and the Model 3 SR+. The amount saved on the SR+ was insane compared to the LR AWD M3 and the MY.

In the end (3 days ago) I splurged for the Model Y. I love the design, so that wasn't the issue. The real reason I went for it was because of the heat pump in the Model Y. It's a very efficient way to run the car, as I've seen friends of mine that have Nissan Leafs and VW E-Golfs continue to have decent mileage in the winter because of the heat pump.

I kept reading about people losing 40-50% in range within the south eastern ontario cities, where as I've had friends of mine with a Nissan Leaf easily hold 200km in range in the cold winters.

You’ve not said much about function. Will you or your wife be the primary driver? Are those 2 kids little or big and is this to be the primary kid-hauler? When at superchargers I have seen a few model 3’s with a family of 4, and when the kids are teenagers, it looks totally cramped. The Y is much more practical although I agree the 3 looks better.

Having been a teensger in the rear center of cars smaller than a 3, I assure you that they can like it or lump it and come out the other end just fine.

I was in a similar dilemma sort of. Kept debating between the Model Y and the Model 3 SR+.... the real reason I went for it was because of the heat pump in the Model Y. It's a very efficient way to run the car...

This. Also a factor for me.

After 6 winters with my Model S, winter range reduction is a real thing. Looking forward to seeing how much the heat pump improves efficiency.