Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So torn... P100D or something else - lease is up.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had an 85D for the last 3 years, and my lease is up. I'm really struggling with going with a new P100D right now since the upgrades have been extremely minimal this year and it's still essentially the old 2017 model with an MCU upgrade and vanity mirrors. Range wise its the same as the model 3, with a bigger screen and faster.

Lease is up in August - I was hoping by then there would be at least an interior update refresh or battery range increase to differentiate between the model 3 or the S but not seeing much on that happening this year (only rumors that it's delayed because of the 3 issues).

Guess the question is - is it worth the extra money where the Model 3 is substantially cheaper for the same type of car. Contemplating moving over to a RS7 or a M5 as the technology in that is updated to 2018/2019.

I go back in forth, one day I am like F it, just going to order the P100D, then I change mind.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Reactions: Eclectic
When I got my P100D a few months ago I test drove the BMW and the Audi. They are fun cars, but I couldn't deal with an automatic transmission. In a Tesla, you step on it and its going before the peddle hits the floor. In an automatic, the car sits for a second, changes gear, sits for another second, downshifts again and then finally starts to accelerate. I didn't think they handled any better, they're still big heavy sedans. I did like the exhaust note though.

As for the tech, the I still find the Tesla to be leaps and bounds better than either of them. Having such a big screen makes everything far more usable. And BMW's silly hand waving thing? What a joke. I would like the birds eye view though.

Final nail in the coffin for them was just how much more cargo room the S has. I do wish Tesla would do more to differentiate the P100D from the other models. Would be nice if it had some visual differences or if they brought back the + suspension.

When I got my P100D a few months ago I test drove the BMW and the Audi. They are fun cars, but I couldn't deal with an automatic transmission. In a Tesla, you step on it and its going before the peddle hits the floor. In an automatic, the car sits for a second, changes gear, sits for another second, downshifts again and then finally starts to accelerate. I didn't think they handled any better, they're still big heavy sedans. I did like the exhaust note though.

As for the tech, the I still find the Tesla to be leaps and bounds better than either of them. Having such a big screen makes everything far more usable. And BMW's silly hand waving thing? What a joke. I would like the birds eye view though.

Final nail in the coffin for them was just how much more cargo room the S has. I do wish Tesla would do more to differentiate the P100D from the other models. Would be nice if it had some visual differences or if they brought back the + suspension.

Yeah, the space is nice in the S - the birds eye view is super cool, wife has something similar on the escalade. Wish we would get an update if there was going to be a refresh this year or next, would help on the decision process a lot.

I had the same issue. My P85D lease ends in June. I test drove a bunch of other options - mainly because I like the old no center console and $150K has a bunch of fun non Tesla cars.

At the end of the test drives, I realize how annoying ICE cars are for every day driving.

The heat coming off the car in my garage.
The stupid transmission
The horrible sound of the engine idling (I never thought I would say that)
The horrible gas anxiety problem - getting in the car every morning and trying to remember if I need gas.

Get the P100D and you will be happy. You will still need your ICE vehicle for the track but keep your fingers crossed - hopefully I will not need to haul gas cans and worry about sound restrictions soon...

P100D owner here ... so, so, so glad i bought this car. i'll never be able to go back to ICE again. it's just such a better driving experience -- never having to go to the gas station, never being in the wrong gear at a moment's notice, instant devastating torque available any time, ridiculous grip even in the rain. plus none of its competitors can touch it in acceleration.

and on top of all that, it's big enough to use on family vacations, too.

I just bought a P100D two months ago. I was considering the same cars you were. I came from an Audi that was very unreliable and actually forced me into buying a car quicker than I wanted so I wasn't going to buy a RS7 although they have some really good tech. I was really wanted the new M5 but it wasn't going to be out for months. I also looked at the CTS-V and E63.

Now that I have driven them all I don't regret getting the P100D. In fact I'm sold even more. Don't get me wrong there are certainly things which are attractive about the other cars and they have features which are nice to have. But that is exactly what they are "nice to have". They weren't mandatory for me. The 3 things I wanted was performance, autopilot and looks. Not only is the Tesla faster, it drives completely different. My friends call my car the rocket ship. It just shows how much different it is than the ICE vehicles. Its changed me so much that it has me wanting a Model 3-PD as a track car. Which is really saying something.

While the others have autopilot like features now, they aren't autopilot. With all the limits of autopilot the others are even further behind. And they won't be continuously updated.

I believe the Tesla is by far the sexiest of the bunch. By a wide margin. Heck, I had someone ask why I got a coupe. Didn't I need 4 doors for the kids? It looks so good they thought it only had 2 doors. ;)The car has such nice lines that it is the closest sedan you'll get to a coupe. Hard to say that about any of the others.

Don't forget that you never have to goto a gas station. :) But all that said, you need to decide what features are important to you. Limit it to the 3 more important ones and then rate the cars on those features. Also, test drives should be weighted heavily. Sometimes multiple might be needed. ;)

For me and my uses, the P100D is the perfect DD. :cool:

And red brake calipers

Easily mimicked with a good paint and seal. Here’s my old 90D.
Dare to find the difference?

If you need a P100D go for it.
Keep in mind the 100D has now abt 3.5sec 0-60 without any battery warming required and the highest range. Caliper paint, good tint and 21” rims and voila. Identical.

Attachments

• A19879B2-06DB-442C-8138-9861293E0FBA.png
    A19879B2-06DB-442C-8138-9861293E0FBA.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 134
Reactions: wesley888
I do agree that the P100D doesn't look that attractive now especially at the asking price. But tech wise, its still better than sum of parts. Individual features in some other cars do stand out, birds eye view, seats with more adjustments, text messaging, interior features etc. But when you look at the overall car, its still ahead of the new BMW,Audi and Mercedes.

That said, I do think the RS7 is a better looking car :)

You could lease the regular 75D (which is pretty quick now) and then move to the updated Performance S once it comes out. You get most of what your P100D offered. This way you dont spend too much on the car right now and then get the nicer updated one (which should be 2020 IMO and nothing sooner as thats when the 3 would sort of plateau a bit)

As mentioned above. The RS7 is a way better looking car. I came from a 800 HP SRT Jeep... And dam the P100D Slayed it. It slay's everything. If you are a car enthusiast and appreciate the performance and can overlook the fact that it looks like a 6 yr old dog. Just go and get one. If you drive like a grandma looking to save the world. Buy a leaf... Taking the P100D to the track is hilarious... In the staging lanes you can see everyone try and line up against anyone but the P100D. After the first pass no one wants to line up with it except a Demon. Those vehicles are a joke on the street. I am surprised that there is no Kill thread on here. Because I smash everything up on the street. It's Hoelarious.... JM2C.... Both mentioned vehicles have way better fit and finish and also look better.... But dam they ain't catching the Tesla

I've had an 85D for the last 3 years, and my lease is up. I'm really struggling with going with a new P100D right now since the upgrades have been extremely minimal this year and it's still essentially the old 2017 model with an MCU upgrade and vanity mirrors. Range wise its the same as the model 3, with a bigger screen and faster.

Lease is up in August - I was hoping by then there would be at least an interior update refresh or battery range increase to differentiate between the model 3 or the S but not seeing much on that happening this year (only rumors that it's delayed because of the 3 issues).

Guess the question is - is it worth the extra money where the Model 3 is substantially cheaper for the same type of car. Contemplating moving over to a RS7 or a M5 as the technology in that is updated to 2018/2019.

I go back in forth, one day I am like F it, just going to order the P100D, then I change mind.

Anyone got any suggestions?
Did you see the design studio today? They added some exclusive options to the P100D including rims and ventilated seats.