Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So, uh, stay away from dump trucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bro1999

Apr 26, 2016
Maryland
Was on my usual commute this morning and was in the far right lane and saw a dump truck in the far left lane. Was gonna speed up to change into the middle lane, but the dump truck did that first. Before I knew it, the dump truck was ahead of me and dumping rocks all over the place!! Couldn't really do anything but slow down, but several rocks bounced off my windshield in the meantime. Luckily none of the rocks cracked my windshield, but upon further inspection the windshield definitely got tiny chips taken out in a couple of places. Second time in a month a freaking dump truck tossed rocks on my windshield.
Is there anything I can get to fill in the tiny chips, or is that not necessary?

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Was on my usual commute this morning and was in the far right lane and saw a dump truck in the far left lane. Was gonna speed up to change into the middle lane, but the dump truck did that first. Before I knew it, the dump truck was ahead of me and dumping rocks all over the place!! Couldn't really do anything but slow down, but several rocks bounced off my windshield in the meantime. Luckily none of the rocks cracked my windshield, but upon further inspection the windshield definitely got tiny chips taken out in a couple of places. Second time in a month a freaking dump truck tossed rocks on my windshield.
Is there anything I can get to fill in the tiny chips, or is that not necessary?
I would grab the tag and the company name and they would be paying for a new windshield.

There are auto glass companies that will repair chips like they never happened. The results are nothing short of amazing. This is not a new thing either. My Son's fiancee had a three inch crack in her windshield and I would defy you find where it was. She used a national chain that you may see advertised on TV.

Get those chips repaired before they spread into cracks.

Yeah, I just got back from a 4400 mile road trip with one tiny chip low on the windshield. I was going to try to fill it, since I have a windshield repair kit, but the chip is so small, I'm not sure I wouldn't just make it worse. Not even a millimeter.
IMG_2199.jpeg

You can reach out to windshield repair companies and they can fill them (often at no deductible from insurance). Sometimes you will get the response though that that chip is too small and they cannot fill it. This means it will constantly bother your OCD until the big one puts a crack in the windshield.

I looked at the dash cam video and unfortunately don't think the quality is good enough to make out the tag. I'll have to take a closer look at home later tonight.
You don’t even need the tag. Just the company name. Does the video show the stuff coming off the truck? Not sure about Maryland, but a lot of states have clear rules requiring covers on trucks.

Must be a FL thing, insurance companies are required to pay 100% of any damage to your windshield. Maybe why we have high insurance rates...but you can find someone to get you a new windshield, or Tesla etc..and insurance will pay if they justify enough damage...

Reactions: Keysh2oboy
Reactions: jostrick
I had the same thing happen to me on a trip between Dallas and Santa Fe. I heard a big chunk of rock hit me but couldnt find where until I looked at the top left of my windshield (passenger side) and saw a big hole on the 'black' rim of the glass. Got one of the nationals out and they told me it was more difficult to fix there and much easier if it hits on the 'transparent' glass. Something to do with vacuum pressure (?). Anyways, $115 later it was fixed. That was 6 months ago and its still a solid fix. I recommend getting any size hole fixed (if possible)