Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So, uh, stay away from dump trucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was on my usual commute this morning and was in the far right lane and saw a dump truck in the far left lane. Was gonna speed up to change into the middle lane, but the dump truck did that first. Before I knew it, the dump truck was ahead of me and dumping rocks all over the place!! Couldn't really do anything but slow down, but several rocks bounced off my windshield in the meantime. Luckily none of the rocks cracked my windshield, but upon further inspection the windshield definitely got tiny chips taken out in a couple of places. Second time in a month a freaking dump truck tossed rocks on my windshield.
Is there anything I can get to fill in the tiny chips, or is that not necessary?
I'm in MD also and frequently see the same dump trucks in the left lanes doing way over the speed limit. Normally on Rt 70 and 100. I avoid them as best I can. I've had Safelite repair 2 chips so far.

For all you smart guys out there, I have a question I want to ask. I have lost count as to how many times my windshield has been hit by rocks. Thankfully, they have not “cracked” the windshield! I did have to have my top glass replaced due to a rock hitting in the just right spot.
Does anyone think that if there was a hood bug deflector available for the model 3 that it would change to airflow enough to possibly reduce getting hit by rocks?

Was on my usual commute this morning and was in the far right lane and saw a dump truck in the far left lane. Was gonna speed up to change into the middle lane, but the dump truck did that first. Before I knew it, the dump truck was ahead of me and dumping rocks all over the place!! Couldn't really do anything but slow down, but several rocks bounced off my windshield in the meantime. Luckily none of the rocks cracked my windshield, but upon further inspection the windshield definitely got tiny chips taken out in a couple of places. Second time in a month a freaking dump truck tossed rocks on my windshield.
Is there anything I can get to fill in the tiny chips, or is that not necessary?
Don't feel bad, about two months ago a Cement Truck started dropping cement all over our main road.....it took hours to hose it all of it off :mad:

I absolutely hate this. When i see a dump truck i either do my best to get ahead of it before they bounce over something or expansion joint in the road/bridges or move to the furthest lane, slow down and duck behind another car.

Reactions: mazers
Here in Missouri, every other car on the local roads is a dump truck, and every other car on the interstate (I-70) is a tractor trailer. Dodging *sugar* falling off of trucks (dump trucks and pickup trucks hauling insecure loads) is a daily driving activity. It really sucks sometimes.

Sorry to hear this happened. One of my many windshield replacements I was able to use dashcam and picture with my cell phone to have a cement truck company pay for a huge crack a cement dropping caused.

Yeah, you fix that, it's twitching my OCD.
I always say if it's true OCD, I'd be CDO.
Not in Georgia. State law says they are not responsible.
That law needs to be changed.

• Funny
Reactions: Avid and Stan930
So a dump truck could be spewing rocks and all kinds of other stuff all over the highway (let's say they even left open the lift gate) and they wouldn't be liable for any damages caused? That sounds all kinds of wrong.
Of course it is wrong but it is still the law. Blame our bat-*sugar* crazy Republicans who don't want companies to be held responsible for anything. You'll see trucks all over Georgia with a sign on the back that says, "Not responsible for damage to windshields." Now, if they have done something that is clearly negligent (like leaving the lift gate open), you may have a case regardless... Small claims would likely be your best path.