Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So Unfair...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got up early and waited in line on March 31, 2016 to reserve a $35,000 model 3. I was about #30 in a long line of a few hundred. Right before I went in, I called my husband and asked if I can reserve two. He said, "absolutely not! You shouldn't be in line reserving one now, that's crazy."

Over the next two years my husband tried to talk me into other vehicles or consider a used Model S. I stood firm. He was also planning on his next ICE vehicle possible in the next year. I just nodded and smiled. I knew what I wanted. I got to sit in You You's car and another member of this board gave me a ride a couple months later. My husband still didn't have any interest.

I finally got my invite in March of this year. Another member contacted me offering a ride. This was perfect because she lived near my husbands job. I MADE him come along even though he didn't want to go. Once he saw it and drove in it, it put his mind at easy that I wasn't ordering vaporware.

My initial plan was to get the SR, I folded and decided I would get the LR. Plus, not knowing if Tesla would hit 200k in June, I didn't want to get caught up in the rush to order the following quarter. I wanted red, but he and my son wanted black. I end up ordering Black. Delivery took longer because I got caught up in the delivery delay.

After 821 long days of waiting, I took delivery on June 30th.

Two day after ownership, my husband decided his next vehicle will be a used Model 3 "in 2 years". I told him with the tax incentives and state rebates, a used one might be more expensive than a new one.

Three days after ownership, he starts doing research on the Model 3. He neglected to remember all the Tesla vomit that's come out of my mouth non-stop for past few years.

Four days after ownership, he starts asking me my opinion on when the SR will be available and so on.

Day five, I'm getting asked about color options and my opinion on the colors. He said if he gets one, he might get black. I said absolutely not. We are not having the same color car.

Day six, I get sent a picture of a Storm Trooper model 3.

On day seven, it progressed to him calling me while at work to talk about Tesla news and model 3. I felt it was time to ease some of his new found angst. Conversion went like this;

Me: Remember when I stood in line and you told me I could only order one?
Husband: Yes
Me: I listened to you, but later when I got home, I ordered the second one as soon as ordering opened up online.
Husband: Silence
Me: Are you mad?
Husband: You mean I already have a deposit on one?!?! Why didn't you tell me!!
Me: Because you didn't understand my master plan, you barely had a passing interest in Tesla, and I knew you would make me cancel the second one.
Husband: You're right. When do you think the short range will be available? What does the reservation mean in
regards to delivery?
Me: You can have the black one now, I'll wait for my red short range, the one I wanted from day 1.

Lol, he didn't want my car yet and said he will wait to take it after we get the second one.

For the next couple weeks we had so many great Tesla and model 3 conversions. He talked crap on ICE cars and told everyone that would listen about how great my model 3 is. I wish he would have been along the whole journey with me. I might have not needed to spend half my life on these forums.

I also was making bets with myself... how much longer will he wait and realize he wants to drive one now rather than later? I often giggled internally while I watched him go back and forth on the pros and cons of ordering now or waiting. I didn't try to sway him or convince him on what he should do. Just agreed to what ever conclusion he would come up each time. He needed to come to this decision on his own.

Today, he sent me a video from one of the Tesla channels I watch. He asked, "Did you see this yet?". I didn't. My husband is now beating me to model 3 content. After a few texts back and forth, he called me and told me to secure financing. He said he didn't want to wait and risk losing out on the full credit. He asked what I thought. I reminded him I was convinced years ago. By the end of the day he told me to order. I finished work and while grabbing some pizza, I place the order on my phone. A young man working there, was right across from me when he announced to his co-workers that there's a model 3 outside. I told him it was mine and we spent the next few minutes talking about Tesla, model 3, and the roadster.

On my way home, I called my husband to tell him how unfair it is that I waited 821 days alone and in angst for my dream car, while he barely has to wait a few weeks.

So unfair!

So... Did you order a red one after all, and will give him your used black one once your new red one arrives? ;)

Lol, yes. Okoye has been ordered. I will have to change my name and profile picture to my favorite scene from the movie.

7e47d2fcef1ed8d5186b7f035c05293d.jpg

Aslo, one important tidbit I forgot to add, the first order I place was done on the second reservation. I left the early morning reservation just in case we did wait for the SR.

Lol, yes. Okoye has been ordered. I will have to change my name and profile picture to my favorite scene from the movie.

7e47d2fcef1ed8d5186b7f035c05293d.jpg

Aslo, one important tidbit I forgot to add, the first order I place was done on the second reservation. I left the early morning reservation just in case we did wait for the SR.
Does your husband realize how fortunate he is to have you for a wife?

Does your husband realize how fortunate he is to have you for a wife?

Yes, he does. Lol, I'm the "planner" and he always says he would be lost without me.

However, he works really hard and never gets himself anything. As such as he wanted my car after I kept telling him he can have it, he kept saying "it's too nice."

My last car was brand new but every car we purchased before then was usually a couple years old. He has never had or wanted a new car and seems it will stay that way since he is gettingmy "old" model 3.

Reactions: wipster
I enjoyed your narrative very much, IslandGirl. It seemed to me that you may write/edit in your career...do you?
I, too, thought a better reference to your oft-shared Tesla information and praise could have been used rather than "Tesla vomit" -- perhaps "Tesla hymns". :)
We have 2 Model 3 reservations, which we put in b/c our twin boys were going to graduate from Purdue and start earning money to pay for their Model 3 and insurance. Didn't anticipate them going on for PhD's but these can be early graduation gifts!

Lol. Our story is similar but in reverse. I got an S after years of studying and waiting to be able to afford it. Wife drives it and decides she's gotta have a Tesla too. Makes a 3 happen in short order by driving two states away and buying one used. Very nice car!

Reactions: IslandGirl