Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So What Do We Think Of The Polestar 2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I was considering the Polestar 2, it seems the decision may have been made for me. Some of the guys over on the Polestar subreddit have put together the charging curve at Ionity at 150kwh. Not looking too great..
nbvxMieJL218PS7Dvgjm1Gdp5Ktq6JzSPuHt88R7Dig.png

Pretty similar to an M3 at a tesla supercharger!

Model 3 v2 Supercharging

upload_2020-7-28_8-26-40.png

Values taken from above video (peak power at Soc at 1% intervals)

Time taken to charge
Polestar 2 / Ionity : 11% - 85% (74%) - 42:03 (as per video)
Polestar 2 / Ionity: 26% - 85% (59%) - 33:34 (segment to match below)
Model 3 / Supercharger : 26% - 85% (59%) 30:01 - 03:33 quicker for same SoC interval - so not much in it.

upload_2020-7-28_15-37-44.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: PR-UK
Top gear did the first sort of side by side I have seen between the M3 and P2 over the course of 500 miles.
The big electric test: Polestar 2 vs Tesla Model 3

I thought the range comparison was interesting. Not seen a direct one like this before based on actually driving both for a long distance.

Over the course of 500 miles, the Polestar’s electric consumption was 35.7kw per 100 miles, the Tesla’s 28.4kw/100 miles, or expressed more simply: a range of 220 miles in the Polestar, against closer to 270 miles for its rival."

So 360W/m for the Polestar. That's pretty high. I was averaging about 300 in the winter and about 260 now in summer in my M3. ( though my driving patterns have changed a lot due to COVID). As they point out that is quite a big range difference and no superchargers for the P2.
Spoiler alert. In the end they give the win to the M3 based mostly on efficiency and the SuC network. but also Ease of use.

• Informative
Reactions: EVMeister
Stopped reading at the third paragraph when they started transposing the best specs of the Tesla 3.2s/0-60, 348 miles range across two different vehicles, which I've noticed lazy reviewers do a lot with Tesla. They just cherry pick the best specs of the SR+, LR and P and compare them to the Polestar. Pick one and stick with it!

In relation to the driver assist features: "Never forget that they’re crap at it. It’s true of all cars that claim some level of autonomy. They’re furiously myopic, can see only one car ahead, can only react, not predict, have no nuance or knowledge." Autopilot most certainly looks beyond the car ahead. It will react if the car in front of that suddenly slows down as well. I think this author should do more careful research or act like they've actually used a feature they're slagging off for more than a few minutes.

Reactions: Exy1
In relation to the driver assist features: "Never forget that they’re crap at it. It’s true of all cars that claim some level of autonomy. They’re furiously myopic, can see only one car ahead, can only react, not predict, have no nuance or knowledge." Autopilot most certainly looks beyond the car ahead. It will react if the car in front of that suddenly slows down as well. I think this author should do more careful research or act like they've actually used a feature they're slagging off for more than a few minutes.
Wait until they find out it can slam on the brakes if you go under a bridge!

Reactions: Artiste
lots of interesting replies but depreciation is what would concern me most about the Polestar.
Depreciation is by far the bigger ownership cost, fuel is minor in comparison

Notwithstanding quality issues Tesla have built credibility in the brand and the cars which is increasingly resulting in strong residuals, other manufacturers likely to change models every few years in traditional fashion with traditional depreciation to match. And with the charge curve shown in earlier posts and the (simplistic?) leverage of an ICE platform it would not be unreasonable to say this car is under-developed.

lots of interesting replies but depreciation is what would concern me most about the Polestar.
Depreciation is by far the bigger ownership cost, fuel is minor in comparison

Notwithstanding quality issues Tesla have built credibility in the brand and the cars which is increasingly resulting in strong residuals, other manufacturers likely to change models every few years in traditional fashion with traditional depreciation to match. And with the charge curve shown in earlier posts and the (simplistic?) leverage of an ICE platform it would not be unreasonable to say this car is under-developed.

Surely residuals aren't going to hold up in the UK, and Europe more generally? Currently we're paying a hefty import tax which will very likely go/diminish on the completion of Giga Berlin? Allowing new Tesla's to be sold for a fair bit less than today?

Been in-touch with their support, the Polestar 2 has;
a 3 year car warranty in the UK. 8 Year Battery only Warranty which is quite the drop, compared to Tesla's 4 year and 8 year Battery & Drive-Train warranty. And with Volvos not so great history is reliability

Tesla is only 50k miles though, Polestar is 60k

Also for approved used vehicles - on the Model 3, Tesla state they just provide the remainder of the 4yr/50k miles with no top-up whereas almost every other manufacturer will provide at least 1 year. We just bought a 6yr old Audi and got +2years approved used warranty.

So I’d say Tesla are lagging behind in the non-battery warranty stakes. That may have to change if they want to crack Germany.