Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So what does .139 really do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If there are no new features listed in release notes, I'd assume it's a simple bug fix release.
If torque sleep was there, I'd assume it would at least make it to release notes somehow. My guess is it's not there. Yes, I know one can argue that torque sleep is a bug fix...

-- Greg

Todd do you know something different than the posts showing it linked to range mode (which I think its a cop out)? I see by your signature you have a P, but you have a lot of experience - did we miss something?

Well I admit I don't have any hard evidence, but looking objectively at everyone's posts (since I have no skin in the game), there's a smattering of "I'm getting much better Wh/mi numbers" and others saying "I'm not seeing an improvement at all."

To me, that's enough evidence to say that torque sleep isn't here yet. People who have made these comments don't have a very large sample of driving to choose from (since the release hasn't been out long enough), so slightly better numbers over a single route mean nothing. A simple 5 mph tailwind can noticably improve Wh/mi numbers on a single drive. Torque sleep should be an obvious improvement to everyone.

Historically, people tend to see changes in a release that aren't really there. Almost every update there are comments about regen being tweaked...but it turns out to usually be just a combination of the power of suggestion, coupled with the fact that regen can change dramatically depending on state of charge and battery temperature--and has nothing to do with the release at all.

I also think that historically, something like torque sleep would almost certainly be mentioned in release notes, since it is a significant improvement for D owners.

I know there is some verbiage about improved dual motor efficiency using range mode in a dialog...but there is no reason for torque sleep to be limited to range mode only. I don't think it's the true, full torque sleep.

Now--I am happy to be proven wrong...but this is just my thinking based on posts from D owners and what I understand as Tesla's behavior in past software updates.

(Reviewing my post, I should not have phrased it as if my comment were fact).

The wording is pretty clear. "It will also distribute torque between the motors to improve range."

People are sometimes having difficulty identifying the improvement because a) it's only 10%, and b) it only makes any sort of difference during constant speed freeway cruising. If you're driving in any other conditions, it doesn't do anything.

Well I admit I don't have any hard evidence, but looking objectively at everyone's posts (since I have no skin in the game), there's a smattering of "I'm getting much better Wh/mi numbers" and others saying "I'm not seeing an improvement at all."

To me, that's enough evidence to say that torque sleep isn't here yet. People who have made these comments don't have a very large sample of driving to choose from (since the release hasn't been out long enough), so slightly better numbers over a single route mean nothing. A simple 5 mph tailwind can noticably improve Wh/mi numbers on a single drive. Torque sleep should be an obvious improvement to everyone.

Historically, people tend to see changes in a release that aren't really there. Almost every update there are comments about regen being tweaked...but it turns out to usually be just a combination of the power of suggestion, coupled with the fact that regen can change dramatically depending on state of charge and battery temperature--and has nothing to do with the release at all.

I also think that historically, something like torque sleep would almost certainly be mentioned in release notes, since it is a significant improvement for D owners.

I know there is some verbiage about improved dual motor efficiency using range mode in a dialog...but there is no reason for torque sleep to be limited to range mode only. I don't think it's the true, full torque sleep.

Now--I am happy to be proven wrong...but this is just my thinking based on posts from D owners and what I understand as Tesla's behavior in past software updates.

(Reviewing my post, I should not have phrased it as if my comment were fact).

Its really quite simple,

*.116 was released to fix the brake issue

*.139 was released to fix the brake issue...and add (albeit a rudimentary form of) "Torque Sleep" to P85Ds.

This explains why 139 went out to all the P85Ds, and 116 has been rolled out asap to most Model Ses that have Autopilot.

The fact that "Range mode" didn't do anything before other than limiting climate control, and the fact that it was only available in Sport (not Sport and Insane Mode), suggests that it has definitely introduced Torque Sleep.

However, It is possible we will get a separate option in the future which will allow us to turn on torque sleep while leaving climate control limitations off.

This form of granularity is probably upcoming in the next update (Similar to "Comfort, Standard and Sport" being removed, and then re-added for Steering Adjustment)

Introduced torque sleep? I can buy that.

But since it's currently only tied to range mode, I'd call this a "beta" release. There's no reason for it to be tied to range mode--I think they're still working on it.

Actually as per Jerome Guillen, quoted by wk057 in post 1090 in the following thread, torque sleep isn't tied only to range mode:

Firmware 6.1 - Page 109