Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So what does the M3 mean for the MS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is an history of announcing more or less at the time it is available for obvious important stuff you need to know and that is visible (ie new battery option, dual motors), doing it silently (ie center console, splitstream wheels) or right after the fact for hidden stuff (autopilot hardware started to be integrated few weeks before announcement)

OK for $35,000 without options just looking at the exterior I actually prefer it to the model S the glass top and back are far more futuristic looking and it's actually more sporty looking it may not have the same bells and whistles but for half-price I think it's a much better deal and something will have to happen with the model S in terms of lowering price or significantly increasing what it's offered to get people to keep buying S over the three for the majority of people. What's the deal with EDIT? It only let me fix one thing per change

Reactions: zambono
OK for $35,000 without options just looking at the exterior I actually prefer it to the model S the glass top and back are far more futuristic looking and it's actually more sporty looking it may not have the same bells and whistles but for half-price I think it's a much better deal and something will have to happen with the model S in terms of lowering price or significantly increasing what it's offered to get people to keep buying S over the three for the majority of people. What's the deal with EDIT? It only let me fix one thing per change
The model S is a larger vehicle, it's also quicker and comes with AWD.
I don't see why Tesla would need to lower the price, the model s is not there to compete with the 3

The model S is a larger vehicle, it's also quicker and comes with AWD.
I don't see why Tesla would need to lower the price, the model s is not there to compete with the 3

I'm not sure, I think for many the 3 is now competing with the S. Lots of buyers, like myself, are wanting to go electric for all the benefits that come with it. My last vehicle wasn't a $100K luxury car but to go electric is need to stretch and pay a bit extra to get into one, before yesterday the only way in really was to by an S. Now the 3 is on the horizon it will open up a new market of buyers who can afford it and also canabilize buyers that were willing to stretch to buy an S but didn't NEED a premium large sedan. I don't think the decision to go for a Tesla is necessarily decided on the size, options etc, but by the fact it's electric, cheaper to run, great performance etc. Looking at it like that, I think the S needs to be more compelling now to sell the way it has been. It's no longer the entry to EV driving. I'm sure the next few months will have to be the lowest S sales they'll see for a long time, some kind of update is needed to keep them ticking along.

I'm not sure, I think for many the 3 is now competing with the S. Lots of buyers, like myself, are wanting to go electric for all the benefits that come with it. My last vehicle wasn't a $100K luxury car but to go electric is need to stretch and pay a bit extra to get into one, before yesterday the only way in really was to by an S. Now the 3 is on the horizon it will open up a new market of buyers who can afford it and also canabilize buyers that were willing to stretch to buy an S but didn't NEED a premium large sedan. I don't think the decision to go for a Tesla is necessarily decided on the size, options etc, but by the fact it's electric, cheaper to run, great performance etc. Looking at it like that, I think the S needs to be more compelling now to sell the way it has been. It's no longer the entry to EV driving. I'm sure the next few months will have to be the lowest S sales they'll see for a long time, some kind of update is needed to keep them ticking along.
I respectfully disagree.
While yes, some people will choose not to stretch their budget for the S and instead get the 3, the S will still have its own client base.
There's certainly a healthy market for higher end luxury vehicles.
Think S class, A8 and BMW 7 series models.
They all sell, even though there's an alternative such as E class, a6 and 5 series

The Model S will be Teslas high end sedan, it will not be selling 500k units per year but it'll do well enough to bring in a healthy profit.

I respectfully disagree.
While yes, some people will choose not to stretch their budget for the S and instead get the 3, the S will still have its own client base.
There's certainly a healthy market for higher end luxury vehicles.
Think S class, A8 and BMW 7 series models.
They all sell, even though there's an alternative such as E class, a6 and 5 series

The Model S will be Teslas high end sedan, it will not be selling 500k units per year but it'll do well enough to bring in a healthy profit.

I think we agree actually! I love the MS and just want to buy it now, but don't want to jump in before the rumoured update. It's overdue and I'm ready to go, so wish they would announce what's happening with it and the give more info on the announced price bump so I can place my order and they can start building it for me!

Reactions: AMPd
For me the M3 represents the opportunity to own a second Tesla. I was not going to spend another 90K on a second S, but 50K on an M3 is much more likely. I think there will be an ongoing market for both, but the 3 will cannibalize some of the S market. There are a lot of S owners out there who had never spent more that 35K on their previous vehicles. Now those folks have a lower cost choice.

About the CPO since none have been added since December I can only assume its true that they are setting up some kind of lots with the vehicles to change the process, it has been rumored. The refresh for the S is a necessity if they wish to charge similar price, for those who won't like the refresh they will be able to purchase one of the current 250+ inventory vehicles. There was a flood of 90's before March 31st, some colors more than others.

• Informative
Reactions: bradjc
I expect anyone ordering an M3 today will probably not get it until late 2019, even if Tesla keeps to schedule. So how long do you want to wait for an EV, that is the question. I didn't want to wait that long.

Reactions: Filter
I'm blown away by the cost. Can someone reasure me that my s is still higher quality? Haha seriously it's 3x the price and I don't have autopilot or that all glass open feeling. The interior did not look low quality at all. I don't see how they achieved that price. Look at other cars at 35k and nothing compares. It's competing against a ford fusion and honda accord for christ sake;

I bought an early s because it was electric and fast. It's perfect except bigger than I actually need. I think many got an s when they did not need that big of a sedan. If tesla ever releases a super 3 for 100k lr a roadster with a backseat i would probably switch.

I'm not enitrely sold on exterior, but trust me many will buy a maxed out 3 over an s.

I am curious if there is anyone here who actually got to sit in one of the model 3 prototypes about the headroom. For the size of the model s, I was really surprised how low the headroom is in the rear seats, even with pano roof. With body color, my head hits the roof. I'm not particularly tall either at 6' though with a longer torso.