Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So what does the Model S have that the X does not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a model S owner who has been giving some serious consideration to an X, my question is what features are "missing" or what is inferior on the X to the Model S. I am thinking of both factual (for example opening panoramic roof), questionable issues that might improve (for example slower UI on the display), items that only some people would consider a "feature" (power extending door handles) and opinions (for example Good Looks). I can name a few (I just did!) and there are others I sort of wonder about like the power charge port door, etc. and thought those who have had experience with both vehicles can give some of your insight and experience. It's easy to see the items that people love some features (or don't) when it comes to the windshield and the FWD, etc but I am thinking more of what I might be giving up with a move to the X. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
The X is wider and longer, that may be an issue if you have a smallish garage. The sightlines are not as good on an X but you do have the autopilot to guide you. Self parking is better in the S due to more data while the self park in the X rarely works. Front pax/driver doors are opened differently. Frunk is configured different in X. Some versions of the X come with all season tires. 3rd row in the X is usable by adults. X has a trailer towing option. Less range in the X. Mounted tires are not interchangeable between S and X. X attracts more attention with the falcons.

@Shumdit, like you the only "feature" I can think of is the automatically extending door handles (which I think are very cool, but hardly important). @TaoJones is of course correct that the S has slightly more range than the X for the same battery size. Lower cost of ownership post-warranty? Fair point, but at this point somewhat speculative.

Oh wait...when you lay the rear seats down the S has more space along the long axis of the car than the X does.

Reactions: newtman

Oh wait...when you lay the rear seats down the S has more space along the long axis of the car than the X does.

I was soooooo bummed to find this to be the case. It eliminated the X from my list solely for that reason. Could not believe it.

That said, I need to go to a showroom to see it again for myself. I didn't climb into the back with the 2nd row folded down. If they do fold flush and if I do fit lengthwise, then all is forgiven :).

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
The X has passenger volume in a way that the S doesn't. For road tripping, it's a more comfortable car. The seats are currently an upgrade, and the AC seems more powerful. The windshield is a nice touch.

The S has more linear space and utility (sadly). It is more nimble on the road. It bests any other car in its class in nearly every category. It requires no compromises. The X delivers a great vehicle with compromises.

That's how I see the difference.

We have both. What I miss in the S after I drive the X is the windshield, and the self closing front doors. I think the S drives better in that it is more sporty/lighter. I also prefer the seats in the S because they hold me in place better while cornering. I think the S is much better looking. My wife finds the seats in the X to be more comfortable, and the higher seating position an advantage as well. So it really depends on what you are after and what you like. I can easily fit my bicycle in the S with the seats down. I don't think I can in the X with the 7 seat option, which means if it is raining hard, the bike is getting water in the bearings while sitting on the hitch rack at 70 mph.

The X has the wonderful windshield, is much more comfortable, easier to get in out of, better premium sound system, self opening drivers door, more comfortable second and third row seats, front console (ok s now has that I guess), stupid phone cradle, more cup holders, door handles that are harder to press, the FWD's, bigger frunk (D models), 20" wheels standard (versus 19").

Reactions: ModelX
The S has reliability

That's the biggest point for me. The Model S is three years further down the debugging curve with the Model S.

Other selling points:
1) It's a little cheaper
2) Better range
3) I'm not a fan of SUVs
4) It's only two of us and we'll leave the back seats folded down most of the time - hauling stuff more than people.
5) Better handling (though many people who have driven both S and X have said the two are close)

I think this is a very difficult question to answer because both vehicles are still very much in flux. There are a few given things like ride-height of X is better, range of S is better, front view of X is better, towing on X is better, etc. But with so many features of the X being migrated to the S, and so many features controlled by software means that they will also improve in both, it's a moving target.

I would expect that once the auto-presenting door software matures, along with regen, auto-pilot, etc. the X will have some very cool feature not found on the S, that is until that hardware is migrated sometime in the next 12 months. Also, if Tesla comes out with a folding 2nd row, then that would really change the dynamics between the two.

The X has passenger volume in a way that the S doesn't. For road tripping, it's a more comfortable car. The seats are currently an upgrade, and the AC seems more powerful. The windshield is a nice touch.

The S has more linear space and utility (sadly). It is more nimble on the road. It bests any other car in its class in nearly every category. It requires no compromises. The X delivers a great vehicle with compromises.

That's how I see the difference.

Somewhat agree. The X outperforms the S:
  • by a significant margin in seat comfort (anyone with neck or back issues should always think X vs S),
  • by a significant margin in cabin temperature particularly those that live in warm climates,
  • first row space (for those that travel: think CX first class vs. DL international “first" class),
  • driving view ( sitting higher allows a better perspective of the road ) & experience (that windshield is fantastic)
  • 2nd Row, 6-seat version much better for passengers in entry access. seat comfort, USB access, AC venting, cup holders, under seat storage
  • long distance travel.....very limited cabin fatigue. Your’e traveling via a comfortable train vs. a car.

• by a significant margin in seat comfort (anyone with neck or back issues should always think X vs S),
  • by a significant margin in cabin temperature particularly those that live in warm climates,
  • first row space (for those that travel: think CX first class vs. DL international “first" class),
  • driving view ( sitting higher allows a better perspective of the road ) & experience (that windshield is fantastic)
  • 2nd Row, 6-seat version much better for passengers in entry access. seat comfort, USB access, AC venting, cup holders, under seat storage
  • long distance travel.....very limited cabin fatigue. Your’e traveling via a comfortable train vs. a car.

I find the seats in the S to be quite good, as I mentioned in my review of both (I drive them both on a daily basis). I have back issues and even on long trips, I'm comfortable in the S. I think it has to do with torso height more than anything else. I think the X seats are slightly better for someone of my build, not significantly.

I also pointed out in my one month review that the front row space is more limited on the X than the S, most specifically in terms of foot room. The cabin is shifted forward and therefore the wheel well impedes further into the foot space. I'd argue that your CX vs DL first class comparison is reversed, having measured the space on both cars. My S feels a lot roomier in the front.

• Helpful
Reactions: JenniferQ
I find the seats in the S to be quite good, as I mentioned in my review of both (I drive them both on a daily basis). I have back issues and even on long trips, I'm comfortable in the S. I think it has to do with torso height more than anything else. I think the X seats are slightly better for someone of my build, not significantly.

I also pointed out in my one month review that the front row space is more limited on the X than the S, most specifically in terms of foot room. The cabin is shifted forward and therefore the wheel well impedes further into the foot space. I'd argue that your CX vs DL first class comparison is reversed, having measured the space on both cars. My S feels a lot roomier in the front.

Well, not everyone appreciates a Rembrandt so we will just have to disagree on that one. :)

X’s roofline, width, windshield and seats provide a substantially better experience for this 6’ 3” guy and his 5’ 3” wife + dog.......on several 100+ mile drives on S I felt very uncomfortable vs. no issues with X.

Reactions: madodel

And don't forget the hitch for bike racks and the towing capability...This is many times overlooked....I'd rather not put a muddy bike in a $140k automobile...