Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So what does the Model S have that the X does not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The S has reliability
The S had a better fit and finish
Most importantly the S has a sunshade
The S most definitely did NOT have better reliability or fit and finish at this point in it's production. At this point in time it does though so fair points.

And don't forget the hitch for bike racks and the towing capability...This is many times overlooked....I'd rather not put a muddy bike in a $140k automobile...
There is a hitch available for the S too. No, not a factory installed one, but one that works just fine for hitch mount bike racks and light duty towing.

Torklift Central | Torklift Central | 2012-2016 Tesla Model S EcoHitch

Well, not everyone appreciates a Rembrandt so we will just have to disagree on that one. :)

X’s roofline, width, windshield and seats provide a substantially better experience for this 6’ 3” guy and his 5’ 3” wife + dog.......on several 100+ mile drives on S I felt very uncomfortable vs. no issues with X.

Depends on where your height is. I'm 6'2", but my height is in my legs, not my torso. I fit just fine in the front seat of the S with no pano roof, though I can tell the roof is closer to the top of my head than many cars. A lot of cars got scratched off my list for not having enough leg room.

As a model S owner who has been giving some serious consideration to an X, my question is what features are "missing" or what is inferior on the X to the Model S. I am thinking of both factual (for example opening panoramic roof), questionable issues that might improve (for example slower UI on the display), items that only some people would consider a "feature" (power extending door handles) and opinions (for example Good Looks). I can name a few (I just did!) and there are others I sort of wonder about like the power charge port door, etc. and thought those who have had experience with both vehicles can give some of your insight and experience. It's easy to see the items that people love some features (or don't) when it comes to the windshield and the FWD, etc but I am thinking more of what I might be giving up with a move to the X. Thanks in advance!

The Model S is is a whole lot more sexier.
The Model S has a lot more cargo capacity.
The rear seats in the X behind the front seats do Not fold down. Dumb idea.
The Model X looks like an obese Model S.
The Model X looks like a Kia Sorrento. Boring.
The Model S gets passersby giving it the thumbs up!
The Model X gets no comments from passersby, except when the Falcon Wing doors are open.
The Model S looks a lot nicer.
The Model S has experience.

Need I say more?

Need I say more?
Those are a lot of opinions. Some are stated factually, but aren't.

I get more thumbs up in my X than I get in the S. That's because it's new. It turns heads here north of the Bay Area, where the S doesn't even warrant a glance.

Model X has more cargo capacity. Just not linear capacity. Not trying to be pedantic, just sorting through your opinions for clarity.

Those are a lot of opinions. Some are stated factually, but aren't.

I get more thumbs up in my X than I get in the S. That's because it's new. It turns heads here north of the Bay Area, where the S doesn't even warrant a glance.

Model X has more cargo capacity. Just not linear capacity. Not trying to be pedantic, just sorting through your opinions for clarity.
We definitely see a lot more excited people pointing to our MX on the road as well as wherever we park as compared to MS. And that's why I like the super fast acceleration though we don't have the P version..I call it the "paparazzi" mode..helps to get away fast on the road :cool:

Reactions: madodel
Curious what you think are the X's compromises?
I'm comparing to other cars in their class, so as I mentioned, the S is as versatile or more so than the competition. The X has storage issues - no roof racks easily manageable, non-removable seats and limited linear space. Compare that with the interior of the Audi Q7, for instance, and you find that the Q7 beats it outright on versatility.

It's possible that the X has better 2nd row comfort, but as a car that is touted as being for families with small children, they're usually in car seats. I don't think they get the benefits of those sculpted seats.

The thing the X does better than all of the competition is drive on a 100% electric drivetrain. Which is why I own one.