Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So what exactly do you get when you buy the FSD upgrade? (for AP2.0, EAP owners)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Visual prompts / hands on the wheel. Have been out for 2 drives now, and certainly getting “nagged” to take the wheel less. If this is reality, that alone was worth the upgrade to me.

Perhaps, unfortunately it’s not necessarily a sticky purchase. A couple of accidents later and it could be back to the norm.

If I could get hardware upgraded, sentry features etc. it would make it worth it for me

We can't even get AP2.0 to AP2.5 even if we wanted to pay (e.g. dashcam features)

Rather FSD has been "downgraded" to run on AP2 hardware...
Seriously I doubt AP2.0 will ever be upgraded to AP3.0 hardware...that would require an extra camera and sensors.

We can't even get AP2.0 to AP2.5 even if we wanted to pay (e.g. dashcam features)

Rather FSD has been "downgraded" to run on AP2 hardware...
This is a feature of MCU, not AP. Different computers altogether.

As far as I was once told by one of the Tesla techs we have in our cars 2 computers one called MCU and second one ECU. MCU computer controls media and cabin stuff. MCU has nothing to do with AP. And as far as I know there are 2 versions of MCU: MCU1 and MCU2, there is no MCU3 on the horizon. ECU is the computer that is used for Autopilot and its version is used to determine which AP it is. For now there are 4 variation of ECU hardware: AP1, AP2, AP2.5 and AP3. As far as I was told the ECU swap is the whole AP computer swap so if you were told they would swap it for HW3 (AP3) then meaning that they would replace whole ECU and only ECU... I understand that it would mean that wouldn't swap MCU to MCU2 for us. I hope AP3 means that those of us who got AP2 would come with sentry mode and dashcam ;-)

I just called sales in Fremont about this problem. The lady clarified that the FSD is $3K, while EAP for those who didn't purchase it with the car, is $2K. I was under the impression from Musk's Tweets that FSD would be $2k, but that is apparently not the case.
I then ask her to assure me that paying for the upgrade does entitle me to the MCU3 at no extra charge. She left the phone, spoke with a supervisor, and then told me that they will, at no extra charge, remove the display and replace the "AI chip with the new HW3 AI chip." I was under the impression that they had a way to swap out the entire computer for the new one. That would mean that I'd get an Intel CPU rather than the nVidia-based one I have with MCU2. She told me that they will not be replacing the MCU but merely swapping out the old AI chip for the new HW3 AI chip. I asked if the car would be classified as "HW3" after that swap, and she said "yes," but it should be noted that she did not get that from a supervisor. I think that one came off the top of her head.

I'd deduce that this means that the hardware upgrade will be simpler, faster, and less expensive for Tesla than some of us originally anticipated. However, I'd still love to know where this would leave those of us who now have HW2 after that AI chip upgrade? Sentry Mode and dashcam? Would FSD truly be equal in quality and safety to the FSD in HW2.5 or HW3 cars with intel-based MCUs?

Reactions: scottf200
Does anyone know for sure if Sentry Mode and Dashcam Mode are AP2.5/AP3.0 (ECU Hardware) or MCU 2 hardware?

I have an AP2/MCU1 MX with EAP. If buying today FSD for $2k also means Sentry Mode & Dashcam Mode features, then it's really worth it. Just getting a professionally installed high end dash cam with a cellular collection and motion detection would run nearly $1,000.

TIA

Does anyone know for sure if Sentry Mode and Dashcam Mode are AP2.5/AP3.0 (ECU Hardware) or MCU 2 hardware?

I have an AP2/MCU1 MX with EAP. If buying today FSD for $2k also means Sentry Mode & Dashcam Mode features, then it's really worth it. Just getting a professionally installed high end dash cam with a cellular collection and motion detection would run nearly $1,000.

TIA

Both and neither. I’m in the same boat, nobody with EAP so far has reported the addition of sentry and dash cam. My guess would be because AP2 hardware included inferior cameras in comparison to AP2.5. There’s been no indication the cameras would be upgraded wither

Both and neither. I’m in the same boat, nobody with EAP so far has reported the addition of sentry and dash cam. My guess would be because AP2 hardware included inferior cameras in comparison to AP2.5. There’s been no indication the cameras would be upgraded wither

I'm hearing this a lot, but I had originally thought that the only difference in cameras in 2.5 was the interior, rear-facing camera and that the only other difference was the addition of "redundancy" in the EAP and FSD computer component. Has anyone run across a reliable source for there being a difference in forward-facing cameras? If the HW2 cameras really are inferior to the 2.5 cameras, can FSD features ever be as safe in HW2 cars as in HW2.5 cars? If that's the case, I'd think that Tesla might have a legal problem in enabling FSD features in the former, but I don't believe that's even been hinted at? Additionally, how good a camera is required to implement the Dash Cam feature? When you can buy a dash cam that's highly rated and an Amazon "Best Seller" for $45, it's difficult to believe that we're not getting Dash Cam in our HW2 cars simply because the camera's not up to it.

TIA
Yeah I hate feeling like AP2.0 people are kept in the dark regarding Dashcam and Sentry especially since they kept saying AP2.X
I am not sure if it is related to the MCU or AP computers both of which are supposed to be quite faster in AP2.5 cars...besides the cameras being slightly different.

What worries me is that even if you wanted to pay they do not offer an upgrade to 2.5.

On a separate note FSD (for existing EAP) will got back to what price on Monday (3k, 5k?)

I'm hearing this a lot, but I had originally thought that the only difference in cameras in 2.5 was the interior, rear-facing camera and that the only other difference was the addition of "redundancy" in the EAP and FSD computer component. Has anyone run across a reliable source for there being a difference in forward-facing cameras? If the HW2 cameras really are inferior to the 2.5 cameras, can FSD features ever be as safe in HW2 cars as in HW2.5 cars? If that's the case, I'd think that Tesla might have a legal problem in enabling FSD features in the former, but I don't believe that's even been hinted at? Additionally, how good a camera is required to implement the Dash Cam feature? When you can buy a dash cam that's highly rated and an Amazon "Best Seller" for $45, it's difficult to believe that we're not getting Dash Cam in our HW2 cars simply because the camera's not up to it.

I’ll see if I can dig up the articles. But IIRC there were a couple of points.

- videos comparing AP2.0 v AP2.5
- statements saying FSD would compensate for older vehicles via software

I believe it was the side cameras that were the Lviv differences.

Also on the fence about this upgrade on an AP 2.0 Model X (which also happens to still be on v8 software, I am conflicted about the absolute need to upgrade to v9 for AP3, but that's a separate issue).

Quite curious about whether we would get the dashcam & sentry modes with an AP3 upgrade, but the utter silence of Tesla about this (despite numerous queries) does not make me feel confident about paying upfront.

Yeah I hate feeling like AP2.0 people are kept in the dark regarding Dashcam and Sentry especially since they kept saying AP2.X
I am not sure if it is related to the MCU or AP computers both of which are supposed to be quite faster in AP2.5 cars...besides the cameras being slightly different.

What worries me is that even if you wanted to pay they do not offer an upgrade to 2.5.

On a separate note FSD (for existing EAP) will got back to what price on Monday (3k, 5k?)
AP2.5 and MCU2 didn't come at the same time, MCU2 several months later. The limiting factor for dash cam and sentry mode seems to the AP2.5, so I don't think MCU2 is the problem.

It may simply be that the cameras or computer used in AP2 don't support the same video codecs used to efficiently record video to USB for the dash cam. The actual camera images used by the ECU may be entirely adequate for vision purposes for FSD.

TIA

@Mewtwo confirmed it does not come with Sentry.
Sentry Mode for US Model X

FSD isn’t a pre-req for Sentry Mode, AP2.5 is. It doesn’t matter though, because Sentry Mode hasn’t been rolled out to any S or Xs yet as I understand it.

Unless somebody has a definitive answer from Tesla engineering, nobody knows if the HW3 upgrade will add the functionality to AP2 vehicles.

My take on the “future” FSD upgrade is the same as any Kickstarter project. They make promises and they probably will deliver (abate likely later than planned), but there are also chances that they won’t deliver, or would require additional cost upfront. I will be happy to send over my money if it’s formally released and reviews are good. Otherwise, my money could work for me in an index fund while Tesla continues to improve its tech.

Reactions: Ryshaw
Does someone know that FSD price (for EAP2.0 owners) will be on Monday (2k now)?

Depends if this stunt raised enough cash for them.

If yes, probably back to $5,000
If no, but close then probably $3,000
If not even close then extended another week at the current price.

I've come to accept that Tesla is a master at generating cash flow and controlling demand. Whether it's battery limitations, air filters, or FSD. They do nothing to hide it, it's a sick game, and it pisses me off. Maybe it'll come back down in the future. Or maybe it'll go up and stay up. Maybe it'll go up and stay up and they'll release all the features next month. I don't know, I just know I have FOMO and threw my credit card at them so I don't miss out on Monday...I am part of the problem.

Did anyone catch this line in yesterday’s “Introducing a More Seamless Navigate on Autopilot” announcement?

Additionally, all cars made after August 2017 will also have the option to have their steering wheel vibrate for the alert as well.

I wonder if this is the AP2.0 to AP2.5 cabling change?