TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

So What Now?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by gtimbers, Mar 5, 2013.

1. gtimbers

gtimbers Member

Now that the waiting is over and I have my car, what is next? Does Tesla follow up with a survey or questionaire? Maybe a hat, keychain or??? I picked up at the factory and was amazed that they didn't have any handouts or trinkets following a big buck purchase such as this. I'm used to Lexus and Infiniti and they always follow up the sale with goodies and interest. Even BMW pays some attention to you after sale.

The factory tour was investing, but about half of what it could and should have been. The whole atmosphere at pickup is a little unprofessional for a car of this stature. I am not suggesting that stuffy is appropriate, but I think a little more decorum might be nice. I would love to bring some of these things up but I don't know how to initiate.

Has anybody who has received delivery had any Tesla initiated contact since?

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

They are running lean at this point it appears. I'd imagine they'll do things like that in the future but at this point it is all about delivering cars and handling any issues that arise.

3. inottawa

inottawa Member

I've never experienced this as Acura hasn't ever done post sale goodies, but is the 'thanks' gift from the dealership or BMW/Lexus corporate headquarters?

I imagine if its the dealers, it's coming from the commission they just made from selling you the car?

4. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

What's next??? Drive the car and enjoy it! That's 'what's next'.

5. PureAmps

PureAmps Model S P85 (#2817)

Enjoy your car! Tell others about it. Get them to buy Teslas. Rinse. Repeat.

Once Tesla is as successful (in unit volume) as BMW, Lexus, or Infiniti then I'm sure they will hand out trinkets and have staff for post-sale followup. In the meantime, they need to do a little growing up as a company. By which I mean, build and sell a lot more vehicles.

6. DRM

DRM Roadster #619

Well, I've had my roadster for about 3 years now. In that time, I've received two Christmas presents (both handed down to my son) ... a coffee mug .... an RC-roadster ... a survey ... a "kit" to entice other buyers ... and more than a few invites to "special events" (some were quite fun). Far more than I expected, and more than I ever received from any other car company.
    //dan.

7. Francis Lau

Francis Lau P-1456

Most recently, when we bought our Audi, we did not get any gifts after delivery. We did received a lengthy survey in the mail from Audi corporate and checkin call 1-2 weeks from the sales person. That was it.

During my MS delivery in December, it was very nice that there was no hassle. They did not try to sell me anything else. In fact, I asked about the maintenance packages and they said to not worry about it and they will let me know once they know more.

I enjoyed the 60 min walk thru and I drove off like a little kid running out of a toy store! It was great!

Maybe the gifts are the software updates - I love getting faster acceleration, voice control and auto extending door handles. Even more in the future.

8. gtimbers

gtimbers Member

OK, the big thing for me is some type of follow up. I have plenty to say, of which 90% is very positive. I guess I will need to reach out to them. Do I contact my local service facility for questions, issues, due bill items, etc?

9. justaddsun

justaddsun Member

Lol, I was with my friend, whom was picking up his MS today, and joked how he was looking to get some small things for free at delivery. I guess when you spend $100k on a car, you feel like you should be getting something -- anything -- for free: some mats, mugs, a teddy bear (got one from my Mercedes dealer), anything! I know when I pick mine up, I'm going to loot the place :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

10. hershey101

hershey101 Member

First off, congratulations on the car.
    As for whats next? I'm sorry to say that the high points of the purchase are pretty much over at this point. No more anxiously waiting for the car, no more reading about other people's deliveries and dreaming about how your car will be arriving shortly. Unfortunately, the novelty of the purchase will soon wear off, within 6 months or a year (maybe even faster) it will just be another "thing" among all the other "things" that you (and other owners) posses. Thus is the life of materialistic possession, the giddyness and extreme happiness kinda just wears off after a while. Its not everlasting
    Psychologists even have a term for it 'hedonic adaptation' (I think).

That being said, I'm still in the giddy state because my car hasn't arrived yet and I savor every moment of it because thats the best part about the purchase in my opinion. Thanks Tesla for making me wait 3-4 months for the delayed gratification of the car...

Sorry for being such a downer on the parade :(. On the bright side though, no more gas bills and free roadtrips (if not now then by the end of the year)! :)

11. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

I had a call in... January? Basically just somebody touching base and saying thanks for buying.

12. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Uh, no. I've had my Roadster for just over two years now and I still walk into the garage and think, 'Wooooot! I get to drive a Roadster today!!!'. It hasn't kinda worn off.

:)

13. hershey101

hershey101 Member

Lets see if its like that for me when my car arrives :) TSLA is "different" after all right? :D

14. DrDave

DrDave Member

Out of curiosity, and if you feel like sharing, what did you feel was missing from the tour? Thanks

15. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

Well if your experience has been anything like mine the next step is to wait for Tesla to call and say your car's missing pieces are available.

16. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

They were giving Tesla keychains at the factory in December.

Anyways, any gift pales in comparison to the marvel that is the Model S.. go an enjoy it, and then figure out a way to hook your key fob to your other keys, then go and get some mats, and maybe a net for the frunk..

17. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

What now?! You'll continue to wander the halls of these forums still seeking something elusive ;)

Seriously, I'd rather Tesla run a tight ship for the next couple of years. I don't mind them scrimping on schwag, parties, etc. For sure, they can send out surveys and respond to feedback.

18. gtimbers

gtimbers Member

Therapy, I love it, indeed it.

My DS is a young guy who has been with Tesla for about 6 months. He is very nice and friendly, but I don't think he is fully up to speed on details about the car and the factory. I noticed several information errors on his part. It was not my place to correct or question so I didn't. We didn't get to see painting, panel forming, anything to do with the motor anything concrete to do with the battery pack (somewhat understood). I have read that Tesla is quite vertically integrated. We only saw some body assembly, welding robots and an apholstry area(bad spelling). The DS was not prepared for some questions and not willing/able to answer a lot of other ones. If the answer is "off limits" I would completely understand but his non-answers and stumbling was a put off rather than just saying I don't know or that is proprietary. I would expect he'll get better, but I was somewhat disappointed following all of this time waiting. The signing process was exceptionally easy and the DS spent more than sufficient time with my orientation and totally shaped it around my existing knowledge base. Kudos. My front license plate holder was not attached as requested and tire pressures were off some. I even joked with him about checking them before I drove away and he said they were correct. After my 350 mile drive home I found the error. Overall I was expecting to be blown away, and I would grade the experience a B or B-. I am still very glad I went vs. having the car delivered locally and I would recommend the event to anyone who can make the logistics work out.

My point about the goodies is that Tesla's reception area is lined with T-Shirts, Caps, Coffee Cups, etc. and you can't even get to the pickup area without passing the stuff. Dispensing a little Logo wear is actually in Tesla's best interest on many levels.

- - - Updated - - -

Gaswalla,

I have my Lloyd's mats, I have jail bars to separate the rear from the front for my 3 - 75 pound dogs, I've got my license plate LED's. I've repaired a small tear in the Leather so Tesla doesn't have to replace an entire door panel. I've washed the car about 3 times in less than a week. I've measured and adjusted the stereo system. Also, I have a solution for the key fob. A simple plastic cable tie with a standard wire key ring works perfectly. I have a viewing/test drive schedule published at work and it is booked out for quite a while. Damn, I'm getting tired just writing all of this. Oh wait, I have to check my phone app and make sure Mr. T is still comfortable in the garage. OK, he is fine. Well you get the point. I guess things will settle out in a while. The drive is exceptional, now if I can just get my parcel shelf......

19. highedu

highedu Member

After purchasing I went into the Santana Row store to buy a Tesla onsie for my 4 month old. One of the reps who have me the test drive recognized me and heard that I received the car.

She gave me the onesie free as a gift. That's a nice $30 trinket!

20. retinadoc

retinadoc Member

What's next?...Version 4.3. The fact that this car can be updated is a gift that keeps on giving. Far more useful than a mug or a key chain.