TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

So what's Consumer Reports' delta between X and S?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by tpoltron, Sep 11, 2017.

1. tpoltron

tpoltron Member

As many here know the Model S 'broke' Consumer Reports' rating scale with a score over 100% yet the Model X built on that same chassis and drivetrain only gets a 56. Sure the doors are slow and fiddly but does that make up for the massive rating gap? I'd love to know as we are considering trading in our 2013 MS for a MX as our youngest child outgrows the rear facing seat. Thanks!

2. ninefiveone

ninefiveone Member

From a Consumer Reports perspective there is always going to be a delta that favors the S. The FWD's are awesome but even as an owner how loves them I expect they'll be a pain to maintain as they age. The giant windshield is expensive to replace when it inevitably gets a big rock chip. Those monopost seats might end up being very reliable but that will never beat the reliability of a fixed seat in the back of a sedan.

The X will never be a Consumer Reports darling. As owners of an X we think the qualitative benefits far outweigh any quantitative negatives but Consumer Reports is a very quantitative analysis. On that basis I'm not sure the X should get a 56 but it's definitely going to be a big gap to the S.

3. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

What he said. Basically a lot of questionable design and engineering choices that focused more on the "what's possible" and less on the "what's going to be simple and reliable to own". Same reason I think residuals on the MX will be worse than the MS off-warranty.