Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So what's the difference between Park and (P)ARK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pressing the button on the end of the shift lever engages Park along with the noise of the mechanical parking brake callipers - fair enough - but press-and-hold it again and it does something else and also lights up a red (P)ARK in the I/C - and it also makes a second, discrete noise. Is this the parking pawl on the transmission(s) engaging? (It's not my doorhandles!)

Make sure sound is on :)

Reactions: boaterva
Hmmm...that's the indicator for the E-brake. Which makes me wonder whether the long hold is a shortcut to the E-brake and that you could leave car "running"/on when you exit.

Attachments

• ebrake.JPG
    ebrake.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 75
With the second press (not to be confused with a double-press) you are manually setting the parking brake, just like if you did so from the touch screen. Putting the car in Park sets the brake (but no "P" light), I guess manually setting the brake unsets, then resets it? Thus the noise?

Here are links to useful posts from some similar threads asking the same question:
Putting it in park, or longpress for (P) - what's the difference?
Proper use of the Park button?
Summary: When vehicle is at speed, a single press will do nothing but error/chime, where a press and hold will apply the parking brake as an emergency backup to slow/stop the car. No tangible difference when stopped — the sound may be the caliper grabbing harder than normal, to help in the case of an emergency backup brake application, but unconfirmed.
(I searched on ‘Park press hold’ to find these btw)

Heh - tried the same search and came up with nothing - I do try to search before posting ;-) Guess it may be an extra twist of the calliper motors... I've read that bit of the manual but to be frank I'm too much of a scaredycat to try the parking-brakes-when-moving thing... Probably ought to incase I ever actually have to do it...

Reactions: rabar10