Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SO WHATS with the extended warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Typically, extended warranties arent worth it. On average, long term you are Better off taking the money you'd pay for an extended warranty and placing it into an interest bearing savings account

Thanx....anyone with cars for 3-6 yrs let me know what your maintenence has been like...took it in today and they said they would cover the screen border issue(8 hrs on the machine) and the noise from strut flutter..when they figure out an engineer fix they said.

I opted for it. I have an X.

Much easier to sell privately if still some warranty left.
If you trade early you can get some money back depending on usage, miles etc.

Deductible is not per item or per visit. It's per "Set of issues presented".
You can go in with 5 issues which may result in 3 visits and the total would be $200.00

Statistically the "House" always wins. But I placed my bet any way ;)

It's really how comfortable you feel about your car and financial situation.

We went for it based on the poor reliability record of our car when it was on warranty and the high cost of Tesla parts and repairs. Our thinking was that it was unlikely reliability would get better as the car ages so it seemed worthwhile to us.

It's all about peace of mind.

Some Model S repairs cost into the thousands easily. And such a repair would ruin the ownership experience for me, especially because you have no way to shop for prices and you have to pay what they say.

We bought the extended warranty so we can enjoy enjoys of driving without surprise bills.

I'd especially recommend the ESA for Performance owners as you may put more stress on the driveshafts.

This is anecdotal but one extended warranty I had saved me around $15K in repairs for a Mercedes that required they rebuild the engine plus transmission. Basically I would never own a car that is expensive to repair without an extended warranty.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
I just hit 100k miles on my late 2016 S.

Buying the ESA, in my case, would have been essentially the same as lighting the $5,000 on fire.

Personally I think $5k is insane. Put it in the bank if you want to cover any repairs that come up.

It's all about peace of mind.

Some Model S repairs cost into the thousands easily. And such a repair would ruin the ownership experience for me, especially because you have no way to shop for prices and you have to pay what they say.

We bought the extended warranty so we can enjoy enjoys of driving without surprise bills.

I'd especially recommend the ESA for Performance owners as you may put more stress on the driveshafts.

This is anecdotal but one extended warranty I had saved me around $15K in repairs for a Mercedes that required they rebuild the engine plus transmission. Basically I would never own a car that is expensive to repair without an extended warranty.
I understand this. but 3 yrs went by so fast and 50k miles- took 2 trips to wisc from denver so thats where all the miles are from. Plan on driving till it dies as too much loss to sell/trade in 3 more years. May get a cybertruck next year as 2nd ev. 5k is alot of $$ and i know parts on it can add up beyond that. We baby the car and have had no issues really- the screen border thing is minor but they said they will put it on 8 hr suntan machine at no cost and the rattle in center of dash which is some strutt issue they are aware of and working on will be covered. I have 1k miles to decide. which will go by quickly.

I just hit 100k miles on my late 2016 S.

Buying the ESA, in my case, would have been essentially the same as lighting the $5,000 on fire.

Personally I think $5k is insane. Put it in the bank if you want to cover any repairs that come up.
leaning this way... family passed away so wont be going to wisc anymore-may take trip to austin tx where my sis is next year but for the most part its a commuter to work and home and errands- maybe 50-75 mi a day max and not every day. Summer will take it to vail or glenwood springs a time or 2 but likely it will be another 3 yrs till we hit 100k.

5K + $200/visit is pretty out there, considering it only covers things such as MCU, AC compressor, headlights, etc.

Even if you were to get a brand new MCU it would still be cheaper than the warranty.

Keep in mind battery and drivetrain are covered under the unlimited miles warranty regardless.

5K + $200/visit is pretty out there, considering it only covers things such as MCU, AC compressor, headlights, etc.

Even if you were to get a brand new MCU it would still be cheaper than the warranty.

Keep in mind battery and drivetrain are covered under the unlimited miles warranty regardless.

Warranty changed a few days ago to 8 years and 150,000 miles.

• Love
Reactions: brkaus
Sorry, but after eight MS's since 2013, I think having the ESA is a no-brainer for nearly all owners, and ESPECIALLY so with the Model X, the Faberge Egg of automobiles.

The cost is nothing compared to one or two visits for major work, and too many of these cars require major work post-50k miles of use. MCU's die too easily and too often, and there are those door handles as well, at about $1k each . . . unless you learn to watch YouTube videos and get to have the fun of working on them yourself.

Also, you can't go to just any old shop for Tesla repairs--at least not yet. Thus, you're looking at full price repairs for anything out of warranty.

Lastly, as others have written, if I recall correctly, you can get a refund for the amount you've not used if you change your mind. (And selling a used Tesla without an ESA is very difficult/value losing.)

GET THE ESA! (It's for a good cause.)

Sorry, but after eight MS's since 2013, I think having the ESA is a no-brainer for nearly all owners, and ESPECIALLY so with the Model X, the Faberge Egg of automobiles.

The cost is nothing compared to one or two visits for major work, and too many of these cars require major work post-50k miles of use. MCU's die too easily and too often, and there are those door handles as well, at about $1k each . . . unless you learn to watch YouTube videos and get to have the fun of working on them yourself.

Also, you can't go to just any old shop for Tesla repairs--at least not yet. Thus, you're looking at full price repairs for anything out of warranty.

Lastly, as others have written, if I recall correctly, you can get a refund for the amount you've not used if you change your mind. (And selling a used Tesla without an ESA is very difficult/value losing.)

GET THE ESA! (It's for a good cause.)

I agree, I'd likely spring for it with an X.

Recent Model S though are quite well sorted. MCU is a solved problem with MCU2 or out of warranty eMMC replacement. The new door handle mechanisms are quite reliable - 100k miles on my car and I've replaced zero. The stuff that broke a lot on the early cars really isn't much of a problem any more.

But to each their own. As I said, for me, it would have been $5k wasted. I had zero out-of-pocket expenses between 50k and 100k miles that would have been covered by the ESA. YMMV.