TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

So when do pick service plan etc.?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Trnsl8r, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

Hi all,

I took delivery about a couple of days ago at Fremont. One thing that was never mentioned (and I forgot to bring it up) was options of prepaying service, extending warranty, and prepaying battery replacement. Has anyone else who have taken delivery done this? If so, what was the process?

2. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Got mine Oct 31. No idea. Interested in same info. :smile:

3. Francis Lau

Francis Lau P-1456

Got my S today and I asked. They said that they are not ready to sell these 3 items yet. They will email when they are available.

4. sublimaze1

sublimaze1 8Dec2012 / Leeroy Jenkins

So what is everyone inclined to do? I am on the fence about these items.

5. SteveH

SteveH Member

Will definitely prepay for service since I would pay for it anyway and there's a clear discount. I hope that we don't have to buy the extended warranty until the original warranty is close to ending, but will probably do it if needed. For me these two items are almost necessities given that we don't have a track record for mass produced Tesla's yet. Wouldn't buy an extended warranty on a car from a more establish manufacturer, but being an early adopter has risks and I see this as a reasonable way to mitigate those risks.

I'll pass on the battery replacement. I just won't have that much to spend after everything else. I am interested to see how that offer is written though regarding upgrades.

6. dailydriver

dailydriver Member

I concur.

7. Tempus

Tempus Member

Pretty much word for word how i intend to approach this

8. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

Me too. With the exception of the Battery Replacement thing has some incredible language about guaranteeing upgrades at a fixed cost, which I'm not expecting.

9. highfalutintodd

+1

My sentiments exactly. I will definitely be getting the pre-paid service plan with unlimited ranger service (since that's the only way I'll be able to service the car), and am strongly inclined to get the extended warranty but NOT if I have to pay for it up front. I get that Tesla probably needs the operating capital, but after shelling out DAMN NEAR $100,000 ON A CAR (which i still can't believe I'm about to do) I need to let the bank account recover a bit before extra expenses.

Tesla, please, please, please make the new extended warranty option something you can purchase any time before the original warranty runs out. My bank account and my ability to give you even more of my hard-earned money will thank you. ;-)

10. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

Me three, I think. I'm not 100% sure on the battery, but will probably just get the other items and skip that.

And let me be the first to say that I'm in no rush for Tesla to start accepting money for these things. If they could wait till about March or so when I do my taxes and get my refund, I'd be ever so grateful. ;-)

11. teslasguy

teslasguy MSP P#1117

I will also be taking the discounted service plan, probably including the extended plan, but not the battery plan.

P1117 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

So I guess Ranger service is free for now, then?

Definitely signing up for the "anywhere" service plan given that I will always be using Ranger service. It's a great deal!

I didn't do the battery replacement plan for the Roadster, and I don't intend to do it on the Model S.

13. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Ditto...

14. jasonkelly

jasonkelly Member

I will definitely buy extra insurance (which is what these items are if you think about it). I'm wondering when they will offer upgraded computer systems....everything in the car seems to have potential for upgrades.
    -J

15. bbmertz

bbmertz Model S: P4909

I strongly agree with you and SteveH. Most car manufacturers allow consumers to purchase extended warranties anytime before the original warranty expires. From a financial/cash planning standpoint, it does concern me that we do not know the answer to this question before we take delivery of our vehicles.

16. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

Thought I would prepay at least four years of service, but living in Silicon Valley I don't think rangers will be necessary.

Definitely extending the warranty too *cough doorhandles cough*.

Prepay new battery... nah... too soon.

17. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Wonder if the warranty covers my run-in with my garage door :biggrin:

18. grisnjam

grisnjam P6316

Official word is here on the official forums:

How and when will I be able to order the Pre-Paid four-year Model S Service Plan? | Forums | Tesla Motors

19. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

I seem to be with the majority here:
    - Buy 4-year maintenance
    - Buy 4-year Ranger coverage. Yes, I live only 10 miles from the SC, but $100/year bucks never to step inside a car service center again? That's a "bahgahn" (as we'd say around here). Plus, what if I'm traveling, or up in my summer place in Maine? Bahgahn.
    - Plan to buy extended warranty and maintenance (presumably four years from now)
    - Not buy the battery replacement. I'm an optimist that battery technology will move along enough that, in 8 years, $12k invested today will be worth more than a replacement battery net of the residual value of my 85kWh pack.

20. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

That's exactly my plan as well.