TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

so when do we get a test drive !?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by xhawk101, May 31, 2012.

1. xhawk101

xhawk101 Active Member

maybe we can have a countdown to test drive!!
    will it be june 22nd or what ?

2. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Tesla couldn't build cars for customers to drive until crash tests and approvals were completed. Now they want to get cars into customers hands, so I'd expect that cars for test drives will still be a month or two more. Also wouldn't be surprised if they prioritize drives according to reservation number, but I have no idea how they might do that.

3. goyogi

goyogi Member

Find someone local that is getting a sig version and make friends with them. :)

4. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

That would likely lead to a test RIDE :)

5. xhawk101

xhawk101 Active Member

at this point I would be happy with just a test ride!

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

A test ride/drive doesn't do a lot for me other than just sitting in the car and making sure I can get in and out without bumping my head. Test rides/drives are too short to learn anything significant. Renting the car for a week or two would be more informative if you had doubts that it would work for you.

7. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

There's no way to rent the car at this point though. I think a test drive from Tesla once that's possible will be the best you can do for awhile.

8. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Would it be illegal to use some of the recently-produced betas for test drives? They are already sitting around in Tesla stores all across the country...

9. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

The display beta's don't have drive trains. Some of them which were used for various events and do have drive trains don't have airbags or seatbelts.

10. goyogi

goyogi Member

What? Are you saying that I, your best friend, cannot drive your Sig?

11. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Roadster insurance was much cheaper if I limited it myself and my wife. Plenty of people have had test rides...no-one else has driven it. Model S may be the same story pending insurance.

12. SigS905

SigS905 Sig S 905 + X 5

I'll valet park it my self right up front and tip the valet while keeping the key :biggrin:

13. daniel

daniel Active Member

Yeah. I give rides in my Roadster to anyone who asks, but nobody drives it but me. If and when I ever have a girlfriend, she'll be the only exception, if she wants to.

14. goyogi

goyogi Member

I'll let people drive my S Performance though only a handful of people ever asked to try out my cars. They are content with letting me show off the performance.

15. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Work the car...., man.

:)

16. strider

strider Active Member

A person driving your car temporarily will be covered by their own insurance. So assuming they have insurance and enough coverage then the car is covered while they're driving it.

17. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Shhhhhhh! ;)

18. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

I, too, would like a test drive but doubt that I'll be getting one... at least from Tesla. My dad's got Sig 417 so I'll get a chance to drive his before I need to order mine. I'm hoping that they decide to take a week and go on vacation or something. I'll make sure his S gets exercise. ;)

Oh, and once I have mine I'll be letting a few people drive it. I kind of have to let my wife drive and I have a few friends that I'll let drive it because we share similar vehicular interests. Other than that it'll be test rides only.

19. daniel

daniel Active Member

And assuming their deductible is not greater than the damage they cause when they're so busy trying to figure out all the features that they're not looking at the road. And assuming they actually have insurance. Some folks have liability but no comp. And even if they do have full insurance and take responsibility for the deductible, there's the hassle of repairs and the misery of being without your car while it's shipped to the nearest Tesla facility for repairs. Etc.

Nope. Someone would need to have a pretty serious claim on my affection, AND I'd have to be convinced of their competence and respectful driving style, before they'd get the key to my car.

20. twisti

twisti Model S #7,439

Need a new friend?