Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So, when is APv2 going to be noticeably better than APv1? Or is it already?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why improve it? It can already do on ramp to off ramp driving.

On my way to work there is a combined on and off ramp and my AP1 can handle that just fine :cool:

And AFAIK they never promised more with AP1!
The promise was that the cars will continue to receive over the air updates. Nothing binds them to specific features but the spirit of the meaning was continued improvement. In less than year old cars owners would expect more than just tweaks such as independent control of headrests.

The promise was that the cars will continue to receive over the air updates. Nothing binds them to specific features but the spirit of the meaning was continued improvement. In less than year old cars owners would expect more than just tweaks such as independent control of headrests.
e37.png

And AFAIK they never promised more with AP1!

Well, they actually did promise that the car would free itself from the garage, and come to your door-step and pick you up, totally autonomously -- ON PRIVATE ROADS ONLY of course.

The most it does now is open the garage door (hopefully) and move forward or backwards in a straight line upto about 20 feet. That is far from the original promise.

Well, they actually did promise that the car would free itself from the garage, and come to your door-step and pick you up, totally autonomously -- ON PRIVATE ROADS ONLY of course.

The most it does now is open the garage door (hopefully) and move forward or backwards in a straight line upto about 20 feet. That is far from the original promise.

Maybe that's what they meant by (fsd) full self driving in some conditions. It will go forward and back completely by itself and damn the road road curves.

• Funny
Reactions: R.S

You obviously didn't get the joke either...

When Tesla and MobilEye got divorced, Elon did what he usually does, made the decision to do it in house. EM is a huge believer in doing more and more in house. Just look at SpaceX. Hell, just look at the SolarCity acquisition. Anyway, it seems evident that bringing it in house has proven to be MUCH harder than ever expected (hubris?). Like most things, Tesla will get better, but they won't keep us updated. They certainly won't meet everyone's time table expectations. I'm hoping its soon. Just like the Model 3 deliveries ;)

I recently traded in an AP1 Model X for an AP2 Model X. Initially I had the same feelings about AP2 that many have expressed here. But after forcing myself to use AP2 over 1000 miles of highway driving, making hundreds of corrections, it seems to have improved and is now only slightly worse than AP1. I'm wondering if there is some sort of calibration period, or if perhaps the software learns over time how a particular driver handles corners and holds their lane position? Anyone else notice this?

Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
Well I fear that the development effort right now is in the model 3 firmware. I think that if Tesla delivered what they now call EAP with the model 3 then a good portion of those 500K pre-orders would ask for their deposits back.

Umm, it's the same firmware effectively. They don't have a NN for M3 and a NN for MS etc, they all run the same NN, just the model 3 has better processing available to it, but we don't even know if it's leveraging that processing yet. But M3 is not going to magically deliver EAP. They simply don't have the software working yet, at least not reliably.

Reactions: Matias
So if I buy a 140k car I should be fine with EAP, but if I buy a 40k car I need more?

What EAP??? I have a S and I don't have EAP by any stretch of the imagination. I can't do exit ramp to exit ramp, I can't do un-provoked lane changes. We are let's be generous and call it AP1 parity.

Let's not discuss rain sensing wipers, folks get VERY upset about these things.

• Funny
Reactions: q2222
When Tesla and MobilEye got divorced, Elon did what he usually does, made the decision to do it in house. EM is a huge believer in doing more and more in house. Just look at SpaceX. Hell, just look at the SolarCity acquisition. Anyway, it seems evident that bringing it in house has proven to be MUCH harder than ever expected (hubris?). Like most things, Tesla will get better, but they won't keep us updated. They certainly won't meet everyone's time table expectations. I'm hoping its soon. Just like the Model 3 deliveries ;)

Yep, he's full of ambition!

1) Build own rocket engines! -check.
2) Build own EV drivetrain! -check.
3) Build own Lithium cells! -cancel
4) Build own solar cells! -hard fail, followed by cancel.
5) Build own infotainment software! -fail.
6) Build own EAP system! -lie, followed by fail, followed by...TBD.
7) Build own FSD system! -fraud

There is no argument he has helped some great people get the money to accomplish great things...but the more he is involved, the more things start to turn out like a 250lb vertical-swing door.

I don't understand the complaints. My new Tesla is currently being built and so far I have had no issues, at all, with AP2. It is just as good as the AP1 in my totaled P90D (and the rain sensing wipers don't work in that one either so again, I'm not missing any features).

Reactions: 1 person
I'm wondering if there is some sort of calibration period, or if perhaps the software learns over time how a particular driver handles corners and holds their lane position? Anyone else notice this?

I just did a road trip of 2000km with 99% AP2, and drive mostly with AP2 enabled otherwise (both on local roads and highways). I think certain roads are 'known' better than other ones. Certain less popular routes farther away from SuperChargers perform noticeably worse - I think it's because they have not been driven that much by AP2 equiped cars yet.
The roads near our home, which we frequently take, performed better over time.

I presume the 'group learning' had to start all over again when AP2 was introduced, and might still be tweaked very much, so maybe not all data collected can be used across different releases (and the 2 different hardware versions).
This is of course all my estimated guesswork :)

I presume the 'group learning' had to start all over again when AP2 was introduced

Was there ever any evidence of fleet learning with AP1? My car still tries to drive off the road in a couple known spots on my local paths. Zero change since new.

When I read Tesla/Elon statements about fleet learning, they always sound a lot like Clapper in front of congress. “Fleet learning could potentially enable blah blah blah...”.