Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So, when is APv2 going to be noticeably better than APv1? Or is it already?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What EAP??? I have a S and I don't have EAP by any stretch of the imagination. I can't do exit ramp to exit ramp, I can't do un-provoked lane changes. We are let's be generous and call it AP1 parity.

Let's not discuss rain sensing wipers, folks get VERY upset about these things.

With AEP as it is currently, I meant. Why would someone buying a 140k car be more tolerant towards something like that, than a someone buying a 40k car?

I just did a road trip of 2000km with 99% AP2, and drive mostly with AP2 enabled otherwise (both on local roads and highways). I think certain roads are 'known' better than other ones. Certain less popular routes farther away from SuperChargers perform noticeably worse - I think it's because they have not been driven that much by AP2 equiped cars yet.
The roads near our home, which we frequently take, performed better over time.

I presume the 'group learning' had to start all over again when AP2 was introduced, and might still be tweaked very much, so maybe not all data collected can be used across different releases (and the 2 different hardware versions).
This is of course all my estimated guesswork :)

If there was something like fleet learning, it wouldn't be single roads, but rather image recognition. Learning how to behave on roads could be potentially dangerous, just think about a construction zone.

No, the car needs to learn to recognize other objects and lane markings. That's where fleet learning could be used.

AP1 can't feed AP2 camera data I don't believe MobileEye does't give them the raw source. so in terms of imaging AP1 is help helping A
With AEP as it is currently, I meant. Why would someone buying a 140k car be more tolerant towards something like that, than a someone buying a 40k car?

Because most of those folks are early adopters and far more forgiving of moonshots knowing what they got into in the first place if they did any form of research. The M3 is made for the masses and I believe the masses will have a disconnect as to what Tesla "actually" has vs what they say they have. I can't tell you the number of times I've been approached in parking lots and people say "Oh look it's the self driving car!!" It's crazy the disconnect between what we "have" and what tesla says they have or in other news coming "soon"

• Informative
Reactions: Bebop
Because most of those folks are early adopters and far more forgiving of moonshots knowing what they got into in the first place if they did any form of research. The M3 is made for the masses and I believe the masses will have a disconnect as to what Tesla "actually" has vs what they say they have. I can't tell you the number of times I've been approached in parking lots and people say "Oh look it's the self driving car!!" It's crazy the disconnect between what we "have" and what tesla says they have or in other news coming "soon"

I don't disagree with you on the disconnect, but IMO I also don't want to be treated that way with my next Model S. So while I understand that early adopters might be more tolerant, I am not. At least not when it comes to things like self driving.

Reactions: navguy12
I don't disagree with you on the disconnect, but IMO I also don't want to be treated that way with my next Model S. So while I understand that early adopters might be more tolerant, I am not. At least not when it comes to things like self driving.

So, in that case did you start the lawsuit for the missed EAP dates? Technically we were suppose to have them in Dec 2016 ;), at least that's what the website said when I bought my car, only for them to change the website a few weeks after purchase.

So, in that case did you start the lawsuit for the missed EAP dates? Technically we were suppose to have them in Dec 2016 ;), at least that's what the website said when I bought my car, only for them to change the website a few weeks after purchase.

I hope there is some realization that when you're buying the only car that can do eap, and it's only been working for last 3 years, Whether you like it or not, you are the early adopter.

Some personal thoughts about eap. When I got Infiniti in 2013 and it had lane departure prevention feature, but in reality it turned out to be somewhat minor attempt at a lane departure prevention, it was a huge disappointment. There are also no updates so it's not getting any better. it also cost several thousand. Be grateful for what you have today In your Tesla and happy it will keep getting better.

Reactions: navguy12
AP1 uses MobilEye's proprietary software.

Oh. I hadn't known that MobilEye owned the AP1 software in addition to the cameras. The way it was told to me at the dealer was they had to collect all new data with the new AP2 hardware, not that they had to start a new codebase.

So it no longer surprises me that much that Tesla took this long to get AP2 on par. Yup, they're behind schedule, what a shock. But I find it easier to be patient-- autonomous driving is a really hard problem.

My car is AP1, so I can't really sue for EAP. I'm also German and it's a lot more work to sue a big company in Germany. If they promise FSD ,when I lease my next Tesla, to come soon, and then don't deliver in the time I leased my car, it might be a different story. But I probably just won't get FSD now.

Self-Driving is pretty much at this point up to your elected officials. FSD is not turned on because it's technically not legal. So call them and tell them to pass legislation to move progress forward.

In terms of EAP, I'm hoping to see something of a big update in the next month or so. I'm guessing 9.0 is around the corner.

FSD is not turned on because it's technically not legal.
images

Self-Driving is pretty much at this point up to your elected officials. FSD is not turned on because it's technically not legal. So call them and tell them to pass legislation to move progress forward.

In terms of EAP, I'm hoping to see something of a big update in the next month or so. I'm guessing 9.0 is around the corner.

Really? So while EAP can't even keep it in the middle of the road, FSD only needs to be turned on?

Last edited:

Your joking right? Please tell me your joking...,

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18 and R.S