Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So, when should I start thinking I've got a lemon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I've the Model X for less than a month (delivered on 9/22) and it's on its second trip, on a flatbed, to Mt. Kisco because the car is not drivable. Both trips are for the same issues: 1. The steering will not turn and, 2. The FWD will not open. (pictures attached)

The last time it was at the SC, it took them about 4 business days after I called roadside assistance on the weekend (so car out of service for 6 days). Should I trust them to fix the problem this time? I am starting to think about lemon laws in NY. :-(

Also, Mt. Kisco will not give me a Tesla loaner and force me to drive some crappy "luxury" car from Enterprise. It would be great if everyone got a Tesla loaner when their car is in the shop, but shouldn't they at least prioritize loaners for warranty repairs on brand new cars? Anyway, that's a different problem.

001.png
002.png
003.png
004.png

We don't have lemon laws in Canada but most states do and New York does:

Used Car Lemon Law Fact Sheet | New York State Attorney General
  • three or more repair attempts and the problem continues to exist; OR
  • the car is out of service by reason of repair for a cumulative total of 15 days or more (although unavailability of parts may extend this time).
I'd read through it if you haven't already. No one wants to have their new car out for 6 days and waiting for tow trucks. I'd give them this chance to fix it and if they don't start the process.

Sorry for your experience and I hope it gets resolved one way or another so you can enjoy the awesome vehicle.

So, the service manager at Mt. Kisco promised me that Enterprise would give me a "luxury" car because there are no loaners to give out (are there so many Teslas in the shop??) and here's what Enterprise had for me...

rental_car.png

Come on Tesla, if you want people to pay 100k for your cars which has quality issues out of the factory, then at least ensure they get a decent loaner/rental until the car is fixed... :(

PS: We've had the Model S since 5/16 (one of the first facelift versions) and there have been no issues with the car. It is so good that we decided to get rid of our Cayenne for the Model X and now we are beginning to doubt our logic. :(

Sounds similar to our problem. Loss of power steering? If so, tell the Mt. Kisco ScC to call Dublin CA. It's a 5 minute fix (at least it was for me two times). I know the second time was immediately after a software update. I'm pretty sure the first time was also, but can't confirm that 100%. The FWD recalibrate was something I only saw after the fix was done. The fix is a total vehicle reboot. They disconnected the high voltage power then the negative lead off the 12v battery. Waited several minutes that reconnected in reverse order. Upon reboot power steering was back. The tech and I are speculating that it's something to do with the sequence of bringing systems back online after a software reboot. According to Dublin they had about 3 or 4 the same day I had my first experience with the problem. Mine also was delivered mid Sept.

At this juncture I will only do a update to firmware if I'm parked at a SvC that is open and has agreed to reboot my car or someone from Tesla tells me they've figured out the problem and the fix is in the update being pushed out. Currently I'm on 40.1.

Except for the software engineers pushing software out the door without testing I'm really really happy with our X. Just got back from a week long mountain trip. It's a great car.

• Informative
Reactions: yeti and brkaus
Not impressed with Model x and Tesla service. My 3 week old Model x has been in service for 2 days and they say it could be 3-5 more days to figure out why the key stopped communicating with vehicle. Loaner - of course no Tesla but a Toyota. By the way - the key was working fine when I dropped car off at dealer. Was there to try and have them align the rear bumper. It’s not flush. Second time in for this service.

So, the service manager at Mt. Kisco promised me that Enterprise would give me a "luxury" car because there are no loaners to give out (are there so many Teslas in the shop??) and here's what Enterprise had for me...

View attachment 254995

Come on Tesla, if you want people to pay 100k for your cars which has quality issues out of the factory, then at least ensure they get a decent loaner/rental until the car is fixed... :(

PS: We've had the Model S since 5/16 (one of the first facelift versions) and there have been no issues with the car. It is so good that we decided to get rid of our Cayenne for the Model X and now we are beginning to doubt our logic. :(

I know Tesla isn't a luxury vehicle but come on that's a Nissan!!!

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna
I have a very similar issue. After updated about 10/13/17, steering assist and park assist fail. Has been in SC for 4 days waiting for engineers in Fremont. Guess I m lucky to have this place to vent. Bought our X about same time too. Owned about 3 weeks. Am pretty disappointed. We loved it but I would not recommend this experience to a friend. The staff is polite, we have a loaner, but what about software could take so long?

I know Tesla isn't a luxury vehicle but come on that's a Nissan!!!
Being over 60, it's easy to still think of them as a Datsuns. I think I'd prefer being put in a Chevy bolt. That's just me. But hey - what can you do ...... Tesla is still the only game in town. you either go lemon law, or bite the bullet and deal with it. Either way, it ain't pretty.

Sounds similar to our problem. Loss of power steering? If so, tell the Mt. Kisco ScC to call Dublin CA. It's a 5 minute fix (at least it was for me two times). I know the second time was immediately after a software update. I'm pretty sure the first time was also, but can't confirm that 100%. The FWD recalibrate was something I only saw after the fix was done. The fix is a total vehicle reboot. They disconnected the high voltage power then the negative lead off the 12v battery. Waited several minutes that reconnected in reverse order. Upon reboot power steering was back. The tech and I are speculating that it's something to do with the sequence of bringing systems back online after a software reboot. According to Dublin they had about 3 or 4 the same day I had my first experience with the problem. Mine also was delivered mid Sept.

At this juncture I will only do a update to firmware if I'm parked at a SvC that is open and has agreed to reboot my car or someone from Tesla tells me they've figured out the problem and the fix is in the update being pushed out. Currently I'm on 40.1.

Except for the software engineers pushing software out the door without testing I'm really really happy with our X. Just got back from a week long mountain trip. It's a great car.

Our brand new X has been in the shop for 3 days now. We took it in for a litany of issues including sensors "ghosting", rear door malfunctioning, high beams not working, falcon doors not always closing properly, etc... While there, they informed us that we have a firmware bug that disables e-fuses and kills power steering among other things. We are now "waiting for engineering" to release a firmware update. Apparently this issue is plaguing 100s of cars here in San Diego area. Three years with our Model S and we may have had to reboot the car 2-3 times. 390 miles in with our X and I'm underwhelmed to say the least.

I'm having the exact same issue. I'm a second-time Tesla owner. My new Model X (delivered 9/24) spent 18 days in service this month due to the same safety-related steering issue. It started with the "steering assist reduced" messages almost immediately upon delivery. I called into Support on multiple occasions. They tried several troubleshooting steps, and they eventually staged a new firmware remotely. They felt that this had solved the problem. Unfortunately, the problem reoccurred while I was driving, and I completely lost steering on the evening 9/30, almost leading to a catastrophic accident.

The car had to be towed to the Service Center. The local SC diagnosed the root cause to the steering rack. They replaced the steering rack, and finally returned the Model X to me on Wednesday. Today, the problem came back once more. I am beyond livid at this point.

I believe that this problem is known to Tesla:
Power steering failure | Tesla

But I can't get anyone at the local Service Center to agree that it's anything other than misfortune on my part.

I'm just about ready to call it a lemon.

IMG_2430.HEIC.jpg