Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So where are the ELRP events and why is my system acting like Self Consumption since signing up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
We've had some massive scorchers here in the central valley but not a single ELRP event...at least none for Tesla's Virtual Power Plant.

In the meantime, my system is acting like self consumption. Rather than sending all peak production to the grid and using the powerwalls, it's now running like self consumption where the house is using solar first and only occasionally dipping into the powerwall. Before I'd go from 100% on a 105F degree day to 20% by 11:30 pm or so but now I'm only getting down to 60% because I'm exporting almost nothing to the grid.

This behavior has changed since I signed up for the program.

I also enrolled and my Powerwalls did not change their behavior. I run on TBC and have had "export everything" turned on since it became available. There was a recent report of someone losing their Operational Mode settings and having the Powerwall locked in self-consumption mode (Operational Mode disappeared from Tesla Android App). Did you check your settings to see if anything changed there?
I also am Al’s enrolled but don’t see the behavior you describe. In fact it behaves more to my liking now than it did before. I don’t attribute it to VPP but for the past week or so in TOU, solar or PowerWall cover all usage in partial peak and peak and grid covers all off-peak. the behavior I’ve been striving for and it is now doing is the PowerWall gets priority until it’s at 100% Then solar covers the house with excess going to grid. In peak periods, 100% of solar goes to grid and PowerWall is covering the house.

It might help troubleshoot this if people could list their equipment (Powerwall quantity and TEG type), settings, power provider (ex. community vs. PG&E direct), and other information.

I am using a 12.75 Solarroof. I have 2 powerwalls, and an old TEG in the big separate box close to the size of a Powerwall. Powerwall settings are: 33% backup/67% Self Powered; Operation Mode: Self-Powered; Time-of-Use B; Energy Export: Solar; Grid Charging: No, Go-off grid: No. I am usually 100% self-powered.

Last edited: