Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So which apps should I look at now that my car is coming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

usna92

On order LR3 - Midnight Silver - Black -18"
Sep 3, 2021
Snoqualmie, WA
My 2021 M3LR comes next week.

There are so many applications, websites, watchOS Apps, and iOS apps out there for Tesla.

Which ones do you use and which ones do people find valuable and why?

I am looking at TeslaScope, Teslifi? I also know there is an Apple Watch App that some people like, but I haven't looked too hard at it?

Just trying to get some ideas for what people find valuable. I am looking for trip and energy tracking, TeslaCam viewing, and really any other useful things people have come up with.

-usna92

There are so many applications, websites, watchOS Apps, and iOS apps...

I use Android but it should be applicable to your case of Apple too: First thing first, I would get the official phone app from Tesla.

After I am familiar with it then I would try others.

Teslafi and Teslascope are logging/tracking service on the web, not apps, not TeslaCam...

Already have the Tesla app of course. ABRP seems like a must have, at least until in-car navigation improves. I was interested in tracking features as well. I guess I should have added that websites were included in the ask. I hadn't heard about Stat, I will look that up.

My go-to's: Tesla app (of course), TeslaFi (nice to have stats from day one if you're into the data - not the best UI but the best features in my experience), ABRP, PlugShare. Tessie is pretty nice - very close to approaching TeslaFi, has a native Android app and recently a web interface, has integration for Google Assistant, can import historical TeslaFi data, etc. - there's just some fleet data TeslaFi has that I think I'd miss at this point. I kind of like supporting TeslaFi too since they are very customer friendly (allowing export of data is awesome, they're not a walled garden).

First thing is Tesla App obviously.
Second, PlugShare to find charging options around you. Never get stranded, reduce range anxiety.
Third, ABetterRoutePlanner as was described. Plan trips, reduce range anxiety.
The rest like TeslaFi, Stats etc are really only if you're a data nerd (like me).

Get acquainted with the various charger providers around you and possibly install their app or register with them. That's mostly for level 2 charging (which you can find with Plugshare) but might provide fast chargers if you use a CHAdeMO eventually.

The only apps I have installed right now:

1) Tesla app (obviously)
2) Optiwatt (I use this to track my charging history and costs)
3) Plugshare and ChargePoint (to find non-Tesla charges, and in the case of ChargePoint the app is needed to activate the charger)

That's about it for me.

There are so many applications, websites, watchOS Apps, and iOS apps out there for Tesla.

Which ones do you use and which ones do people find valuable and why?

I am looking at TeslaScope, Teslifi? I also know there is an Apple Watch App that some people like, but I haven't looked too hard at it?

Just trying to get some ideas for what people find valuable. I am looking for trip and energy tracking, TeslaCam viewing, and really any other useful things people have come up with.

-usna92
TeslaFi is an absolute must. It’s amazing how helpful the information is when you need to see it.

Stats (iPhone) is the best “companion app” in my opinion - but it’s also the most expensive ($50). But, it may not be worth it now that the native Tesla app has iOS widgets included now, however the Watch app included in Stats is great, although there are very similar Watch apps that are much cheaper.

These two apps are the only thing that you will need in my opinion. Whatever you do, only stick to one iOS app, between TeslaFi and stats pinging my car it can get a little excessive. Adding additional apps can cause connection issues and excessive battery usage.

It’s worth noting that Tesla strongly recommends not using any 3rd party apps. Most service guys will advise not to, some don’t think it matters. When or if you ever have a warranty concern it opens the door for Tesla to blame the 3rd party app, which can complicate things.

Reactions: Krock65