Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So who’s got Enhanced Autopilot?...let’s hear your feedback! Still deciding.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m digging the auto lane change. Best feature so far. I use AP about 50% more simply because I don’t have to reengage every time I want to change lanes.

I’ve used NoAP a few times and so far, so good. It’s a little spooky while it negotiates interchanges (sort of like being a passenger while someone else is driving, haha!!).

I used auto park for the first time yesterday and it worked great. Parallel parking. I had heard stories of auto park curbing wheels, but my MY wasn’t anywhere near the curb when I was done parking. And it was fast to park. Neat.

I’m happy with the purchase...MUCH better than $8k for FSD.

I really would appreciate auto lane change but for $4k, I cannot justify it given the limited highway use my vehicle sees presently. If I had a long commute in traffic I'd consider it because I think that the standard AP system is very frustrating to have to re-engage after every lane change.

However, I can deal with that and use the $4k for something else. If I could just purchase the auto lane change as a-la-carte for 1-2k they would probably have a sale.

I just picked up my MY yesterday and can already see the value of EAP/FSD from the lane change alone. Not ideal to have to engage/re-engage for day to day AP.

So I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on EAP but hesitant to be locked out of future upgrades/features to FSD. As a newbie, how much more could they add to EAP to make the leap to FSD justifiable for most people?

What is so magical about lane change? Does traffic make it hard for you to normally change lanes? (genuinely curious) still trying to decide if EAP is right for me.

With EAP (and FSD), to make a lane change you tap on the indicator stalk and the car changes lanes for you.

Apparently with just AP while using Autosteer, you effectively disable Autosteer to make the lane change, manually make the change, and then reactivate Autosteer.

Reactions: Velcade
I’m wondering if there will be further opportunities. Still thinking it’s a rush to buy having only had the car 3 days.

I’m picking up my car tomorrow. The last day possible in the quarter and the last date to buy EAP. I’m considering it but may skip it until it’s offered again and I can save up more money after opening a vein for the purchase and then almost immediately PPF and Ceramic Coat. I hope it offered again at the end of the next quarter if I dint decide to pull the pin and do it tomorrow. It’s very tempting.

With EAP (and FSD), to make a lane change you tap on the indicator stalk and the car changes lanes for you.

Apparently with just AP while using Autosteer, you effectively disable Autosteer to make the lane change, manually make the change, and then reactivate Autosteer.

That's exactly it. Maybe it is less of an issue on a highway/light traffic. But general driving, traffic, exits/merges, AP disengages and has to be re-engaged. Even with my old Acura, I could enable Iane assist and cruise, and still change lanes without having to turn either off. AP is a lesser experience, EAP would put back on parity with that experience plus being able to truly let the car "drive".

I am pulling the trigger. If I change my mind later and decide I need FSD, will just pay the penalty, hope pricing goes down instead of up, or see if a subscription model works.

Reactions: Velcade
I was tempted to pull the trigger and then they went and released the acceleration boost so I gotta pick my spots. Also, the rumors of having FSD offered as a monthly recurring add-on is really appealing to me. I'm going to hold out for that and hope I don't regret it down the line.

Reactions: cjhinusa
My opinion, as someone with EAP on one car and AP on the other, and had FSD on a prior car: if you drive interstates a lot, and you actually use AP, it's worth it. EAP is vastly superior to AP on long stretches of mostly-deserted interstate highways. You can set your speed, and the car will handle passing for you. It'll also handle highway interchanges, though this can still be a bit iffy depending on the nature of the interchange.

Other stuff you get with EAP isn't worth a ton (to me), but they're all nice-to-haves: Summon and Autopark. Smart Summon is mostly a parlor trick at this point, but can be a fun one. Dumb summon is useful in tight spaces, or if like me you keep your garbage can in front of the car. On trash day, the car pulls itself out and back in.

I'm also not convinced that this will be the one and only time they will offer EAP. Obviously, they released this to boost Q3 numbers and I don't see why they would permanently take this upgrade revenue path away. I can see them offering it again late Q4 or really any quarter in which they are in need of a late revenue push to hit their numbers.

What are people's opinions on the resale value in the future? I'm curious how in real-world examples of people selling the vehicle if upgrades made after the original purchase (upgrades that are not reflected in the VIN number) will be considered in the value or if the fair market value is dictated strictly by the VIN number.

What is so magical about lane change? Does traffic make it hard for you to normally change lanes? (genuinely curious) still trying to decide if EAP is right for me.

It's about safety.

"One of the most common causes of accidents is the act of changing lanes."

Accidents Nationwide Associated With Lane-Changing.

"Approximately 539,000 two-vehicle lane change crashes occurred in the U.S. in 1999"

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.dot.gov/files/doths809571.pdf

I've used Auto Lane Change anywhere allowable from freeways to city streets. It works very well in highspeed and even in stop and go traffic. I used to have a hard time manually change lane on a crowded freeway in downtown Los Angeles but the system has worked very well for me now. There were times when I wondered what it was waiting for then I realized that although the coast was clear, there was a high-speed car far away behind on the destinated lane and it wanted to clear that car first. In the city, I looked around and I thought the lane was clear but the system refused to change lane right away then I realized that since the seconds that I saw the lane was clear, another car had inserted into that lane and it's no longer clear.

With [very limited] time to test it out and only having the MY for 3 days total, I have to say EAP is definitely an exercise in trust. Had a couple of interesting experiences already of questionable braking, particularly near merges/exits. Some of it may just be naturally getting used to a machine style of driving though. I do like being able to initiate turns without disengaging AP and if you have a car in front of you, you essentially get a pseudo FSD feature of stopping at a light :)

Debating requesting a refund and trying again later when I'm more familiar with the car and base AP. Anyone else having second thoughts?