Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So who actually has configured their P or AWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not that anyone is aware of. The ability to configure appears to be based on the time the reservation was placed. East coast stores opened up first, so a few of those folks were able to configure last week.

I'm east coast, in person, current owner (wife's modelX). Still no email. Visit Tesla website and login daily in hopes to configure my P version...nothing yet. This C63 AMG S that I"m currently driving looks uglier by the day.

• Funny
Reactions: phaduman
I just found out something interesting!!!!!

I called Tesla ( for the 1000th time ) and asked them about financing. I got the same answer 3 different times....so I'm leaning towards the fact that this might be correct.

They say that the minimum down payment is 10%. Fine...no problem

They say that the maximum down payment is 40%. Interesting.

I told them that I want to put down much more than 40% to keep my payments low. Here is the kicker - They said ( 3 different calls ) that if I put down my 40% and at during the loans existence pay towards the principle of the loan......that it will adjust my loan payment and not the term.

I have never heard of that. For my mortgage payment....if I make an additional principle payment....it just shortens the loan term....not my payment.

Tesla is the opposite. I thought that was very very interesting.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker

I called Tesla ( for the 1000th time ) and asked them about financing. I got the same answer 3 different times....so I'm leaning towards the fact that this might be correct.

I told them that I want to put down much more than 40% to keep my payments low. Here is the kicker - They said ( 3 different calls ) that if I put down my 40% and at during the loans existence pay towards the principle of the loan......that it will adjust my loan payment and not the term.

I have never heard of that. For my mortgage payment....if I make an additional principle payment....it just shortens the loan term....not my payment.

To be clear, Tesla doesn't offer financing themselves. It's no different than buying a car from a traditional dealership. They get bids from different lenders on your behalf. You can ask Tesla to request bids for whatever terms and down payment you want (even zero down) or get 3rd party financing on your own. If you don't like their initial offer(s), you can ask Tesla to check with additional lenders (sometimes requires additional documentation). Once you're actually in the credit application process you'll probably be dealing with a different department/people at Tesla (NA Financial Services / Regional Credit Analyst).

Are you SURE your loan length is reduced on additional principal (one of the most common misspellings LOL) payments? Anything is possible through creative financing but the norm when making additional principal payments is:

1 - Principal goes down.
2 - Payment remains the same but more of future payment streams go to the principal versus interest.

Once you make an additional principal payment, the original amortization table goes out the window. You have to generate a new one to see the new reflected loan amount and impact of payment stream.

Depending on interest rate, you generally want to BORROW AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE due to time value of money and opportunity costs.

The power of "other peoples money" can't be overstated.

Are you SURE your loan length is reduced on additional principal (one of the most common misspellings LOL) payments? Anything is possible through creative financing but the norm when making additional principal payments is:

1 - Principal goes down.
2 - Payment remains the same but more of future payment streams go to the principal versus interest.

Once you make an additional principal payment, the original amortization table goes out the window. You have to generate a new one to see the new reflected loan amount and impact of payment stream.

Depending on interest rate, you generally want to BORROW AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE due to time value of money and opportunity costs.

The power of "other peoples money" can't be overstated.
Am I sure?

I'm getting the info from Tesla.

Question should be - Are they sure.

Lets not overlook interest. The power of interest rates "of other peoples money" can't be overstated either.

Maybe I’m old school but I don’t borrow unless I can get guaranteed interest (money market or CD) north of offered interest—north enough after tax.

Back to the original question. Anyone configured yet? I’m still wondering if they’ll let me configure a 2nd 3 on my original reservation.

Am I sure?

I'm getting the info from Tesla.

Question should be - Are they sure.

Lets not overlook interest. The power of interest rates "of other peoples money" can't be overstated either.

I should have clarified.. on your mortgage payment - the monthly payment should not go down. It takes a refinance to do that.

Of course there is interest.. but its so low that you make 4x that or more just through index fund investing (no effort).

Sorry for going off topic.. Won't matter too much on Tesla's structure. You can make the big down payment then either:

1 - Put the rest to principal
2 - Put it in a fund and stream payments from it.