Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So who actually has configured their P or AWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Totally agree. It's kinda crazy when you consider the leak-tastic, phone-camera age we live in that we have yet to get an up-close shot of that white dash insert. I wonder if I won't get a proper look until delivery day!
Yeah - it reminds me of blurry-cam leaks of cell phones back in the day. For all I know the insert is aluminum in those shots that have surfaced. You really can’t tell at all. I also wonder how the inserts on the door panels are - they look like the synthetic leather on the Model X/S door inserts, but I suppose it is possible they are white alcantera like the black alcantera on the standard black interior? Doubt it is alcantera, but has crossed my mind.

In general, it is a tad unnerving not knowing what I bought, but I guess that is part of the fun.

I asked a sales guy today if the car would be badged - because, how would you know it is a performance if there are no red calipers? He said it may say Tesla across the back (like Franz’s car). I thought he did that himself but who knows.

Reactions: ryanjm
Have not seen this posted anywhere, so wanted to share. I did get a picture of the P3D spoiler in the confiugrator when I was changing my color to red yesterday. Didn't notice it when I originally configured it on Wednesday night. Had not seen it before so I took a screenshot:
IMG_2160.jpg

Graeme Whitehead

@G_Whitehead5

·
57m
@DMC_Ryan @Model3Owners I haven’t seen this addressed yet: are the #Model3 projected delivery dates of P model earlier than just the AWD model? Just wondering if the AWD production will first focus on the P model @Tesla @elonmusk

Elon Musk
@elonmusk

Replying to @G_Whitehead5 @DMC_Ryan and 2 others
Yes, AWD P first and then AWD. Production costs are always high when line first gets going, so we have to sell higher price versions first or each car will have very negative margins. As production efficiency rises, we can make lower cost versions & not lose money

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
$34K more for Performance model correct? What do you get exactly for that?

20" Rims
Sport Brakes with Red Calipers
Performance Front Motor
0-60 3.5sec (Wish it was 3 seconds or better)
Optional White Seats
Rear Suspension mods (anyone know what exactly)

Anything else?

I'm getting Performance (once they open it up to us current owners) just curious what I'll get for it.

20" Rims
Performance Front Motor
Optional White Seats

Anything else?

I'm getting Performance (once they open it up to us current owners) just curious what I'll get for it.

Carbon Fiber spoiler installed after delivery. Also exterior color choice included.

• Funny

20" Rims
Performance Front Motor
Optional White Seats

Anything else?

Any color included
PUP

$34K more for Performance model correct?

Compared to...which config?

It's only 29k more than first-delivery (which comes with LR, PUP, RWD)- and obviously you still get LR and PUP with the P model....so not sure where you get 34k more?

What do you get exactly for that?

20" Rims
Performance Front Motor
Optional White Seats

Anything else?

As far as we've been told you get roughly the same motor you can get in the non-P AWD- just it's been tested twice as long as were the best of the bunch of those motors. But then it's only 24k more, not 34k more, compared to that Non-P AWD.

You'd also be paying 4k to add the 20s (which comes with the suspension mod to make the camber right for 20s) on the non-P... so now performance is only 20k more (if you planned to get AWD and 20s anyway).

You get choice of color, which is 1k more on any non-P....so if you didn't want basic black it's now only 19k more.

So... yeah.... for the 19k more (assuming you were going non-black, wanted AWD anyway, and wanted the 20s anyway) you get:

the sport brakes (useless outside of a race track, or the chase scene from a Jason Bourne film)

First crack at the white seats (not a fan of em, some folks love em though)

and... 1 second quicker 0-60 than the AWD non-P- presumably either from higher contactors/faster discharge parts, or maybe just a software unlock- nobody's been clear on that AFAIK.

Which seems pricey for what you get to me- but I'm sure they'll sell plenty of em.

• Informative
Reactions: Lunarx and bhzmark
I'm sure they've improved handling and done some other tweaks to the car to make it drive like a sports car. My favorite car is a BMW M3/M4. If they can match or surpass that on a race track then this car is for me. (Yes, I've been on a race track with a M3/M4 and they are a B.L.A.S.T. to drive.)

It's only 29k more than first-delivery (which comes with LR, PUP, RWD)- and obviously you still get LR and PUP with the P model....so not sure where you get 34k more?

As far as we've been told you get roughly the same motor you can get in the non-P AWD- just it's been tested twice as long as were the best of the bunch of those motors. But then it's only 24k more, not 34k more, compared to that Non-P AWD.

You'd also be paying 4k to add the 20s (which comes with the suspension mod to make the camber right for 20s) on the non-P... so now performance is only 20k more (if you planned to get AWD and 20s anyway).

You get choice of color, which is 1k more on any non-P....so if you didn't want basic black it's now only 19k more.

So... yeah.... for the 19k more (assuming you were going non-black, wanted AWD anyway, and wanted the 20s anyway) you get:

the sport brakes (useless outside of a race track, or the chase scene from a Jason Bourne film)

and... 1 second quicker 0-60 than the AWD non-P- presumably either from higher contactors/faster discharge parts, or maybe just a software unlock- nobody's been clear on that AFAIK.

Which seems pricey for what you get to me- but I'm sure they'll sell plenty of em.

Performance has been available to order for almost a week now. I ordered mine on 5/23 and some people had the option before that.

The only confirmed differences are nebulous suspension upgrades, the spoiler, 20" wheels, upgraded brakes (though no specifics), the option for white interior, and binned motors.

Have not seen this posted anywhere, so wanted to share. I did get a picture of the P3D spoiler in the confiugrator when I was changing my color to red yesterday. Didn't notice it when I originally configured it on Wednesday night. Had not seen it before so I took a screenshot:View attachment 304337
This looks underwhelming. I mean, you need magnifying glass to see this P differentiator...:p

On the plus side, P-s will be made before regular AWDs.

The motors aren't the same at all. The performance version will have 1 induction motor and one Permanent magnet.

You can't get any different than that.

• Informative
The motors aren't the same at all. The performance version will have 1 induction motor and one Permanent magnet.

You can't get any different than that.
Isn’t induction+permanent also the same as the AWD, though? In terms of just the drive system I think the P may have identical hardware to the AWD. Even the inverter is probably the same part but for the P is selected from the cream of the crop and given a more thorough initial test. My guess is that some AWD vehicles could theoretically do ~3.5s to 60 like the P if their SW were unlocked and their inverters could take it.