Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So who actually has configured their P or AWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to figure out how I can justify $24k.

Tesla is going to have to do more for Performance IMHO.

So I've been doing a lot of mental gymnastics trying to justify getting the P instead of the regular AWD. It comes down to this...

1) Fully loaded Model 3 P is still cheaper than a Model S 75D with same options (remember that on the Model S, premium package is actually $8300 and paint is $1500 for red or white).
2) Get the car sooner since Elon said they are prioritizing P before regular AWD.
3) Wife said she wants the white interior
4) Once the Model 3 P is released, get ready for a wave of reviews, youtube videos, etc., I'm guessing dragtimes and TRC will get something like 0-60mph in 3.2 seconds with rollout. I don't know about you, but I don't do well watching and reading about something I didn't get. ;)

So I've been doing a lot of mental gymnastics trying to justify getting the P instead of the regular AWD. It comes down to this...

1) Fully loaded Model 3 P is still cheaper than a Model S 75D with same options (remember that on the Model S, premium package is actually $8300 and paint is $1500 for red or white).
2) Get the car sooner since Elon said they are prioritizing P before regular AWD.
4) Once the Model 3 P is released, get ready for a wave of reviews, youtube videos, etc., I'm guessing dragtimes and TRC will get something like 0-60mph in 3.2 seconds with rollout. I don't know about you, but I don't do well watching and reading about something I didn't get. ;)

I noticed you have a P85D. So do I!! With the old P85+ suspension. I'm hoping the ride is just as awesome as the P85D. Stiff but smooth on the freeway at "high speed."

I noticed you have a P85D. So do I!! With the old P85+ suspension. I'm hoping the ride is just as awesome as the P85D. Stiff but smooth on the freeway at "high speed."

Yeah. Only slight hesitation is the Model 3 doesn't have air suspension yet and I don't want to lose the tax credit waiting for it. Love my P85D but it's a beast size-wise. Looking forward to having a smaller car to whip around town.

100%. Have you driven a Model 3 yet? I haven't had the chance to and was hoping to get that chance before I placed the order. I've been on a race track before (with a M3 and M4) and best time of my life. They're so much fun to race. I hope the Model 3 P is the same.

Yeah. Only slight hesitation is the Model 3 doesn't have air suspension yet and I don't want to lose the tax credit waiting for it. Love my P85D but it's a beast size-wise. Looking forward to having a smaller car to whip around town.

Not trying to dissuade you, but I had to do mental gymnastics to convince myself to *not* get the P. A few thoughts:
1) A lot of premium package options on the 3 come standard on the S, e.g. glass roof, power seats
2) True, but how much sooner? If the tax credit lasts until EOY, will it matter?
3) We have a 2017 75 with white interior - beautiful but not flawless. There is some blue jean color transfer on the driver’s seat that won’t quite clean off. Hardly noticeable though. Most of the time spots are easy to clean, but if you’re fastidious it can create some anxiety.
4) I hear you. The other side of that coin is realizing you overspent and getting buyer’s remorse.

Best of luck in your decision and hope this helps. It’s going to be an awesome car so if you aren’t stretching financially at all, go for what makes you happy.

$2300 Red brake calipers (price for S and X red brake calipers on the Tesla store)
$2000 20” Sport Wheels and Tires ($500 price difference between 19” and 20” wheels on the Tesla store)
$1500 Spoiler (price for S spoiler on the Tesla store)
$1000 Paint choice
$0 White Interior choice (no charge)
$22200 uncorked binned motors/inverters, bragging rights
Yeah, bottom line here is that >$20k is probably pure profit for Tesla on the P. It’s actually a smart strategy because non-P AWD owners could provide future profit if Tesla offers a pay-for software upgrade that increases performance. Not possible on the S or X if battery pack is the limiting factor.

Not trying to dissuade you, but I had to do mental gymnastics to convince myself to *not* get the P. A few thoughts:
1) A lot of premium package options on the 3 come standard on the S, e.g. glass roof, power seats
2) True, but how much sooner? If the tax credit lasts until EOY, will it matter?
3) We have a 2017 75 with white interior - beautiful but not flawless. There is some blue jean color transfer on the driver’s seat that won’t quite clean off. Hardly noticeable though. Most of the time spots are easy to clean, but if you’re fastidious it can create some anxiety.
4) I hear you. The other side of that coin is realizing you overspent and getting buyer’s remorse.

Best of luck in your decision and hope this helps. It’s going to be an awesome car so if you aren’t stretching financially at all, go for what makes you happy.

All good points. Here's another way I justified it...

If I were to trade up my P85D to a similarly equipped P100D, it would cost me about $80k+. So by keeping my P85D, I'm getting a Model 3 P for free!!!! :cool:

I sure wish Tesla would provide an update with their rollout strategy...
It’s based on literal time of reservation. Currently appears they moved up through 1PM eastern time which is when west coast stores would be opening their doors at 10AM. So the next round will cover mainland USA. I would assume it will take a few rounds before hitting the online reservations (I’m in that group)

If you are on the fence about going all in on the Performance model, well I can't help you.

I've wanted this car for a decade. So, I am not objective at all. I am getting it. It'll be the same price is my S, 3 years later.

From where I am, I can't even see the fence. I jumped over it years ago...
“What if I told you: there is no fence?”

If you are on the fence about going all in on the Performance model, well I can't help you.

I've wanted this car for a decade. So, I am not objective at all. I am getting it. It'll be the same price is my S, 3 years later.

From where I am, I can't even see the fence. I jumped over it years ago...
“What if I told you: there is no fence?”
To you and @commasign - I enjoy your enthusiasm. Congrats.

Reactions: e-FTW
Why? All indications are you will get an email to configure when you can. Why keep refreshing the site?
I hate to encourage constant refreshes - but I never got an invite. Just went into the configurator (going directly to my Tesla and clicking on the reservation) and the options were there suddenly last Wednesday night. Been a week since I ordered my P3D and still no e-mail.

I get plenty of e-mails from Tesla too - just not that one. I am a Model X owner that was in line on day one of reservations, so made sense it let me configure, but still puzzled why the e-mail never came.

Reactions: preilly44
I hate to encourage constant refreshes - but I never got an invite. Just went into the configurator (going directly to my Tesla and clicking on the reservation) and the options were there suddenly last Wednesday night. Been a week since I ordered my P3D and still no e-mail.

I get plenty of e-mails from Tesla too - just not that one. I am a Model X owner that was in line on day one of reservations, so made sense it let me configure, but still puzzled why the e-mail never came.

Just curious, when in the timeline did you get your invite? During first weekend or more recently? Only asking as I am all for refreshing constantly if it's possible that I may not receive an email notifying me.

All good points. Here's another way I justified it...

If I were to trade up my P85D to a similarly equipped P100D, it would cost me about $80k+. So by keeping my P85D, I'm getting a Model 3 P for free!!!! :cool:
Totally agree with this logic. If you want a 3 second car, this is the most affordable way to do it (in a new EV at least).

I understand everyone thinking that the performance option is priced high - but you need to compare performance models to other cars of a similar quickness (M series BMW or AMG for example) - they are pretty similarly priced. In many of those cases the lower end versions of these cars are also artificially limited (chipped vehicles sure can pack a punch).

Bottom line - if you don’t see any value in the extra performance the math just won’t work. The AWD performance is fast by any standard so that is very understandable as well.