Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So who actually has configured their P or AWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious, when in the timeline did you get your invite? During first weekend or more recently? Only asking as I am all for refreshing constantly if it's possible that I may not receive an email notifying me.
I never got an invite to configure my LR Model 3 for some reason either. Just logged in earlier this year (Feb as I recall) and saw a 3-6 week delivery quoted. I did as a salesperson about it and they said some folks were not getting mails. Could be because I selected the AWD preference?

Not really sure what the deal is. I am getting plenty of mails about my order now that it has been placed.

I was able to configure the P/AWD model at the same time on Wednesday night as the others on this forum though. Seems like they are doing it in batches if you want to keep an eye on these threads...

Totally agree with this logic. If you want a 3 second car, this is the most affordable way to do it (in a new EV at least).

I understand everyone thinking that the performance option is priced high - but you need to compare performance models to other cars of a similar quickness (M series BMW or AMG for example) - they are pretty similarly priced. In many of those cases the lower end versions of these cars are also artificially limited (chipped vehicles sure can pack a punch).

Bottom line - if you don’t see any value in the extra performance the math just won’t work. The AWD performance is fast by any standard so that is very understandable as well.
There is value in it, and yes the comps are expensive. It’s just a question of bang for the buck. $5k to be 13% quicker than LR, but you’re getting another motor. Then $24k on top of that to be another 29% quicker, but with hardware changes that you may not use/want unless headed for the track. True, you’re almost half again quicker than LR, but right now it feels like a ~$20k chip. Brilliant strategy for Tesla but I just can’t justify that purchase. If someday Tesla offers a virtual chip for the AWD for $5-10k that makes it as quick as the P, they will probably get my money.

There is value in it, and yes the comps are expensive. It’s just a question of bang for the buck. $5k to be 13% quicker than LR, but you’re getting another motor. Then $24k on top of that to be another 29% quicker, but with hardware changes that you may not use/want unless headed for the track. True, you’re almost half again quicker than LR, but right now it feels like a ~$20k chip. Brilliant strategy for Tesla but I just can’t justify that purchase. If someday Tesla offers a virtual chip for the AWD for $5-10k that makes it as quick as the P, they will probably get my money.
Elon did state that the inverters were different. There is more to it than selecting the best motors off the line.
But in the end, the money does not mater really: if you are getting the Performance model, financial logic went out the window a while ago. :)
The auto industry has done this for decades, they call them "halo" cars. I mean, AMG is a whole brand of them.

Elon did state that the inverters were different. There is more to it than selecting the best motors off the line.
But in the end, the money does not mater really: if you are getting the Performance model, financial logic went out the window a while ago. :)
The auto industry has done this for decades, they call them "halo" cars. I mean, AMG is a whole brand of them.
I got the impression the inverters were the same product from AWD to P but just selected from the cream of the crop for P. I have a feeling this is less about capability and more about reliability.

To all who abandon financial logic for the P, hats off to your passion.

AMG and the M BWM performance series offers way more than just a straight line performance bump for the money. In fact the cars look really different; bumpers, fenders and hood are different. You get suspensions, brakes, wheel and tires upgrades and on top of all that you get a completely different higher performance engine and transmission with all the additional bolt-ons.

m3 vs 340i.JPG

I got the impression the inverters were the same product from AWD to P but just selected from the cream of the crop for P. I have a feeling this is less about capability and more about reliability.

I got the same impression inverters and motors are the same they are just run harder. I would think that would make the regular AWD model 3 more desirable as far as reliability.

I am trying to abandon financial logic myself.... but its hard.

Totally agree with this logic. If you want a 3 second car, this is the most affordable way to do it (in a new EV at least).

I understand everyone thinking that the performance option is priced high - but you need to compare performance models to other cars of a similar quickness (M series BMW or AMG for example) - they are pretty similarly priced. In many of those cases the lower end versions of these cars are also artificially limited (chipped vehicles sure can pack a punch).

Bottom line - if you don’t see any value in the extra performance the math just won’t work. The AWD performance is fast by any standard so that is very understandable as well.

I will go out on a limb and say Model 3 performance is underrepotrd. Can’t steal shares from p100d.

It should be self evident buyers are paying for performance. What does the P stand for? Performance or Plush Interior?

I would say the following in the pursuit of 1 second faster shows far more passion:

-swapping car engines
-removing extra seats and upholstery
-driving around with 1/16th tank
-removing ac system
-replacing steel panels with carbon fiber

Those who know what they are looking at sees the P3D as reasonable if not cheap.

Want a Tesla?
Want guaranteed full tax credit?
Want the BMW, Audi, Porsche, Mercedes and Corvettes constantly revving around you to quiet down?
Can’t afford a SP100D?

There is only one car on the market that checks off those boxes.

I would say the following in the pursuit of 1 second faster shows far more passion:

-swapping car engines
-removing extra seats and upholstery
-driving around with 1/16th tank
-removing ac system
-replacing steel panels with carbon fiber

Those who know what they are looking at sees the P3D as reasonable if not cheap.

Want a Tesla?
Want guaranteed full tax credit?
Want the BMW, Audi, Porsche, Mercedes and Corvettes constantly revving around you to quiet down?
Can’t afford a SP100D?

There is only one car on the market that checks off those boxes.
Good reasons, but can probably do at least 3 out of 4 if not all 4 with AWD. To the point @juanmedina made, it makes it harder to go with the Performance when there aren’t many hardware deltas, regardless of whether they are cosmetic or performance-based. (The Performance 3 includes some of both.)

For $10k, I could probably go from 412hp to over 600hp by supercharging my Mustang GT. Straight line 0-60 performance would probably be in the 3s range. But I’m not planning to do that because I’d rather own (another) Tesla. Just wish Tesla could offer the same straight line performance boost for the same $10k.

If the P makes sense for you, that’s awesome. It will be a great car and don’t let me deter you. For me the AWD just offers more bang for the buck.

Reactions: MXWing
Good reasons, but can probably do at least 3 out of 4 if not all 4 with AWD. To the point @juanmedina made, it makes it harder to go with the Performance when there aren’t many hardware deltas, regardless of whether they are cosmetic or performance-based. (The Performance 3 includes some of both.)

For $10k, I could probably go from 412hp to over 600hp by supercharging my Mustang GT. Straight line 0-60 performance would probably be in the 3s range. But I’m not planning to do that because I’d rather own (another) Tesla. Just wish Tesla could offer the same straight line performance boost for the same $10k.

If the P makes sense for you, that’s awesome. It will be a great car and don’t let me deter you. For me the AWD just offers more bang for the buck.

No free lunch my friend as you are going to have to find support for your Mustang once modified. It's also not AWD, not a Tesla, and too many things to list.

If Tesla would offer the boost for only $10K, the uptake would be too high, and cannibalize the Model S P sales. They would be leaving lots of margin on the table.

The best bang for the buck is the SR AWD Model 3. It's such a good deal that it won't see the light of day for a long time.

I'm an economist, I look at things from a macro view. What doesn't make sense to you or me on a micro level makes complete sense in the overall scheme of things.

We are even only comparing what we know.. I suspect the P3D is under-reported because it is HALF the price of a Model S P100D afterall.

Reactions: D3xDt3Reaction

I've been pondering this for a while now.

What could Tesla offer with the Performance that:

Wouldn't interfere with production....
Wouldn't make the car any more complex that it is...…
Wouldn't have to add another thing to the assembly process...…
Wouldn't have to be added by the service center...…
Wouldn't require any R&D at all...…
Could be added with just a decision...….
Wouldn't cut into the price of Performance at all...…
Would make a tremendous difference between AWD and Performance....

Free Supercharging for Performance version- just like the Model S and X !!!!!!!!

Especially since - Like the Model S and X provided the infrastructure for the Model 3......the Performance version is there to provide positive margins...…..

Where is @ryanjm?

Elon Stated the following....

"With production, 1st you need achieve target rate & then smooth out flow to achieve target cost. Shipping min cost Model 3 right away wd cause Tesla to lose money & die. Need 3 to 6 months after 5k/wk to ship $35k Tesla & live."
"Yes, AWD P first and then AWD. Production costs are always high when line first gets going, so we have to sell higher price versions first or each car will have very negative margins. As production efficiency rises, we can make lower cost versions & not lose money."

Free Supercharging for Performance version- just like the Model S and X !!!!!!!!

Elon Stated the following....

"With production, 1st you need achieve target rate & then smooth out flow to achieve target cost. Shipping min cost Model 3 right away wd cause Tesla to lose money & die. Need 3 to 6 months after 5k/wk to ship $35k Tesla & live."
"Yes, AWD P first and then AWD. Production costs are always high when line first gets going, so we have to sell higher price versions first or each car will have very negative margins. As production efficiency rises, we can make lower cost versions & not lose money."

I vote yes, lol.

No free lunch my friend as you are going to have to find support for your Mustang once modified. It's also not AWD, not a Tesla, and too many things to list.

If Tesla would offer the boost for only $10K, the uptake would be too high, and cannibalize the Model S P sales. They would be leaving lots of margin on the table.

The best bang for the buck is the SR AWD Model 3. It's such a good deal that it won't see the light of day for a long time.

I'm an economist, I look at things from a macro view. What doesn't make sense to you or me on a micro level makes complete sense in the overall scheme of things.

We are even only comparing what we know.. I suspect the P3D is under-reported because it is HALF the price of a Model S P100D afterall.

Have you heard about Roush Performance. They have a warrantied package with Ford for 15k and you get 710hp starting drom 460hp. 5 year warranty.

This is what you get:

CORE COMPONENTS
  • Prepped for 710-horsepower ROUSH TVS 2650 Supercharger Package (available from dealership after sale in under one day)
  • Under-hood preparation including engine machining, low-temperature radiator system components, and more installed at ROUSH headquarters
  • 5-year/ 60,000-mile limited warranty protection on the powertrain components
  • Extreme-Duty Half Shafts
  • 20-Inch Ebony Black Cast Wheels with Ultra High Performance Continental ExtremeContact™ Sport tires
  • Performance 1-Way Coil Over Suspension System (Height Adjustable)
  • "JH" Strut Tower Brace
  • High-Flow Upper Grille with "JH" Badge
  • High-Flow Lower Opening
  • Front Chin Spoiler with Wheel Shrouds
  • Front Aero Corner Pockets
  • Hood Heat Extractors
  • ROUSH Fender Badges
  • ROUSH JackHammer Graphics Package (Body-side two piece "Hockey Stick" graphic)
  • Body Side Scoops (Body Color)
  • Low Gloss Black Rear Decklid Spoiler
  • Rear Blackout Panel with ROUSH Badging
  • ROUSH Front Windshield Banner
  • Rear Valance Aero Foils
  • Hood Strut Lift Assist
  • JackHammer Serialized Engine Bay Plaque
  • ROUSH License Plate and Frame
  • ROUSH Interior Medallion on Dash
  • ROUSH Embroidered Floor Mats
  • ROUSH Illuminated Door Sill Plates
  • ROUSH Supplement Owner's Guide (download)

2018 Jackhammer - Vehicles

I've been pondering this for a while now.

What could Tesla offer with the Performance that:

Wouldn't interfere with production....
Wouldn't make the car any more complex that it is...…
Wouldn't have to add another thing to the assembly process...…
Wouldn't have to be added by the service center...…
Wouldn't require any R&D at all...…
Could be added with just a decision...….
Wouldn't cut into the price of Performance at all...…
Would make a tremendous difference between AWD and Performance....

Especially since - Like the Model S and X provided the infrastructure for the Model 3......the Performance version is there to provide positive margins...…..

Where is @ryanjm?

I was just thinking this. While the P3D is reasonable as is in my opinion, a few perks would give it "value" without costing a whole lot.

Supercharging credits or free supercharging is something to add.

P3D counting as referral credit like S and X would be nice.

Reactions: preilly44
I was just thinking this. While the P3D is reasonable as is in my opinion, a few perks would give it "value" without costing a whole lot.

Supercharging credits or free supercharging is something to add.

P3D counting as referral credit like S and X would be nice.
True...….

Ill stick with free supercharging though.

I'm really trying to close the $24k gap between Performance and AWD with no work on Tesla's part.