Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So who has had a tracker installed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Insurance is about £3k on a MYP but the requirement is a tracker.

Tesla tracker is not insurance approved and will not result in a successful insurance claim if stolen.

I understand there are other insurance companies like Direct Line but they are quoting prices over £5k or not insuring some of us.

So who has had a tracker installed? Tesla say the tracker will voice warranty.

If you have a insurance approved tracker what’s your experience been, any issues and has it caused issues with Tesla & warranty?

P.S this isn’t about age if I move from London to another post code insurance , it’s £900 with no tracker. The area in London I live in has very high rate of car theft.

Sadly some of us have no option unless I pay double on insurance.

Would be keen to know people who have had it installed. Can’t find any posts about people having it installed.
I think he was taking the mickey ;)

We are driving around inside the biggest tracker system on the planet! Recording on all cameras all the time and reporting back to the mother ship.

• Informative
Reactions: mspohr
Sadly some of us have no option unless I pay double on insurance.

Would be keen to know people who have had it installed. Can’t find any posts about people having it installed.

Why would you buy a Performance model and then have to pay extra for insurance? You won't be able to use the performance of any Tesla without triggering issues with your insurance. Assuming you mean black box rather than tracker?

Not black box
Tracker in event of theft
Ah ... my mistake ... I didn't know anyone was being required to use authorised trackers unless a black box because of age or driving record issues. (Move to another part of the country and you could have a Tesla and be paying less than £300 ... at least for a Model 3.) Personally I wouldn't consider paying thousands for insurance no matter what was or wasn't required. I would need to make other choices. Anyway you will note from this forum the dearth of threads about cars being stolen!

Ah ... my mistake ... I didn't know anyone was being required to use authorised trackers unless a black box because of age or driving record issues. (Move to another part of the country and you could have a Tesla and be paying less than £300 ... at least for a Model 3.) Personally I wouldn't consider paying thousands for insurance no matter what was or wasn't required. I would need to make other choices. Anyway you will note from this forum the dearth of threads about cars being stolen!
Someone here must surly have had a tracker installed on a Tesla. Unfortunately where I live in London has huge theft rate of cars. My BMW M3/M4 was £800 but paying the £3k for MYP and hopefully it comes down next year 😊

Just use a different insurer. Admiral, LV, DL are all OK without expensive 3rd party trackers. Teslas are hard to steal (computer controlled, plus P2D is pretty damned effective) - the high insurance is down to the repair costs.

I did allow a black box when I joined Admiral because (a) it was free, and (b) It was £150 off my insurance. I was such a boring driver they took it back after 3 months..

Just use a different insurer. Admiral, LV, DL are all OK without expensive 3rd party trackers. Teslas are hard to steal (computer controlled, plus P2D is pretty damned effective) - the high insurance is down to the repair costs.

I did allow a black box when I joined Admiral because (a) it was free, and (b) It was £150 off my insurance. I was such a boring driver they took it back after 3 months..
So, without the "black box" in play any more, you can now drive your car like you stole it eh? ;)

NFU requires tracker ("Thatcher XXX certified", or something like that), but its only over a certain value. I dropped my Insured Value to under that, to avoid having to have Tracker fitted. (Only noticed the requirement on Renewal, and given that the car wasn't stolen before then :rolleyes:, dropping the value insured on an "old" vehicle wasn't a problem! I did say to NFU "Don't you drop the insured value each year anyway?" answer was "Doesn't make any difference to your premium Sir" ... Ho!Hum!