Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So, who is going to be the first to try “smart summon”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was just reading about how “smart summon” is expected to roll out with AP v10 in ~August/September. This feature will supposedly allow your car to drop you off, go find a parking spot on its own, and come find you later...

The size of the balls you need to have to try this thing out as described for the first time need to be approaching the diameters of small planets.

It won't go find a parking spot yet and you will have to park. It can come to you FROM the parking spot. Unless something has changed.

Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 5.54.07 AM.png

I'll be all over testing ASAP in a back parking lot. However don't see myself coming out of a busy Walmart and standing at the entrance while waiting on my slow and clumsy 3 to pull up at an odd angle at the front door blocking traffic so I can look cool.:eek::D

Last edited:
Same as some others. I have a perfect situation at work where the car has to make just one turn to get to the front door. I'm testing that day 1.

Testing it at the entrance to Costco on a Sunday .... probably not. :D

Was just reading about how “smart summon” is expected to roll out with AP v10 in ~August/September. This feature will supposedly allow your car to drop you off, go find a parking spot on its own, and come find you later...

The size of the balls you need to have to try this thing out as described for the first time need to be approaching the diameters of small planets.

If you would allow me to modify your statement to "....balls you need to have to try this thing out as described, in a Costco parking lot, for the first time..." :p

• Funny
Reactions: derotam and anti
diameters of small planets.

Planetoids, dwarf planets, "Pluto"? :p

More seriously, I look forward to this being released and reading the initial reports. Would be great if it was 99.99998% reliable in a parking lot, like Costco - otherwise, it's just another gimmick, like fart sounds and other features where Tesla currently takes no responsibility for the outcome of it's intended use.

I'll test it as soon as I get it, but I wouldn't use it if you have to pass thru a gate with a lift bar, like at an airport parking lot. Afraid it would take too long passing under the gate, and have it come down on top of the car!

• Helpful
Reactions: Puddles
Not sure what it will look like, but I could envision you find a parking spot, pull in, initiate smart summon, drive to the entrance, then the car goes back to that spot or finds the next available spot if someone took it - ideally, you would park out in the boonies where it is not likely to be taken. Then you could have the car both drop you off and pick you up. I'm guessing it will be more like park, walk to the entrance then summon it to come get you from there, which is fine, but I hope it evolves into the drop-off and pick-up. That would be nice when it's nasty weather outside :)