Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So Who Will Be Watching this All-Electric Cadillac Lyriq REVEAL 8/6/20 7pm EDT!?!?

Will you watch the All-Electric Cadillac Lyriq reveal tonight @ 7pm EDT?

• YES

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • NO

Votes: 19 65.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, I took the bait.
Up to now I thought I had an open mind.
Beauty is in the eye . . . and all that.
Meh (side view) to Hmmmm? (interior) to Blech! (OOOF! that front end) on the styling.
ICKY, clunky, contrived “question & answer” event format.
I had to double check that I wasn’t watching an SNL parody.
Design dome???
I am sad that GM is so out of touch, (Coming from 3rd generation of exclusively GM driving family) and so far behind the curve. I see only marketing and vaporware when I’m Iooking for engineering passion.
I am happy that Tesla had the foresight to lead.
Kind regards

Last edited:
Reactions: MichaelP90DL
Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 9.11.42 AM.png
Anyone want some screens?

Seems like a solid effort to me. Late 2022 is concerning. By then, Tesla should have 400 miles model X (tri motor?). Who knows, Tesla may have improved overall fit and finish by then too... At least, it'll appeal to the traditional luxury car buyer. We need more EVs to come out, and faster. Maybe VW will have fixed its software problem too by 2022.

I didn't watch live, but I checked it not long after. Man, that was painful. Those precious minutes are gone forever from my life. When it comes to the actual vehicle, though:
  • aiming for 300 miles range, versus the official 402 of my Model S LR+
  • nothing comparable to the Supercharger network
  • Super Cruise that won't function on 98% of the roads I drive
  • homely (to my eyes) CUV styling
  • still two years out

I actually like it. IM probably not in the market for an SUV in 2023 but if I where I would say that the claims GM is making for the lyriq are at least appealing. The interior styling is the best blend of minimalist with luxury that I have seen. I have a M3P and while I love the car, I think that caddy interior is class (or 2) above Tesla.

The range doesn’t bother me as I find it highly unlikely A) any other car of this size/style would have better REAL WORLD range (including Tesla) and B) more range would really matter. For A) I can tell you that Tesla grossly overstates their range values if you are focused on highway miles at real world speeds (~75-85MPH). They are pretty spot on for city driving but frankly range over ~100miles doesnt matter for city driving. I trust caddy or a more traditional auto maker as they seem to get this hence the understated range #’s from GM (Bolt) and Porche (Taycan) while Tesla range #’s are...interesting ...

As far as Supercruise vs. Autopilot, i would lean more toward the former. I have enhanced autopilot (late 2018 M3P) and frankly only ever use it in situations where I am on the highway with little to no traffic nearby. It’ll work fine for a few miles then go bizerk when it nears an overpass. Ive only been in a CT6 with Supercruise once and it seemed pretty reliable vs autopilot but small sample size. Either way I doubt the whole autonomous car thing anyway ( for consumer vehicles say least) so this one is really a toss up.

The exterior styling on the Lyriq doesn’t excite me but its not bad. The rear end is rather odd though. But again I’m not likely to be looking at a lux SUV (more of a sedan guy) but my wife might. If its between this and the current Model X I would go Lyriq (the X is too tall...looks like an egg or something).

Looking forward to seeing more about this over the next few years

Seems like a solid effort to me. Late 2022 is concerning. By then, Tesla should have 400 miles model X (tri motor?). Who knows, Tesla may have improved overall fit and finish by then too... At least, it'll appeal to the traditional luxury car buyer. We need more EVs to come out, and faster. Maybe VW will have fixed its software problem too by 2022.

Agree, nothing is being reinvented here, but this is a good entry into the SUV/CUV EV market. I dig the heck out of that interior, though we'll have to see how much of that makes it to the production version. The exterior looks like a Caddy SUV, though again, we'll see if it still looks like that by 2022. Tesla unveils what they release, OEMs unveil a lot of concepts (I'd be suspect of those big tires and high ground clearance making it to the production version, though I'd love it if they did, even if it is range reducing). 300 miles range is perfectly fine, I think range has become too much of a focus in EV conversation, once you've hit the 200-300 mile area, you've created a perfectly practical daily driver, which is what a luxury CUV is aiming for. Big family road trippers are a different market (for the most part).

Reactions: BooMan and K2500Z71
I actually like it. IM probably not in the market for an SUV in 2023 but if I where I would say that the claims GM is making for the lyriq are at least appealing. The interior styling is the best blend of minimalist with luxury that I have seen. I have a M3P and while I love the car, I think that caddy interior is class (or 2) above Tesla.

The range doesn’t bother me as I find it highly unlikely A) any other car of this size/style would have better REAL WORLD range (including Tesla) and B) more range would really matter. For A) I can tell you that Tesla grossly overstates their range values if you are focused on highway miles at real world speeds (~75-85MPH). They are pretty spot on for city driving but frankly range over ~100miles doesnt matter for city driving. I trust caddy or a more traditional auto maker as they seem to get this hence the understated range #’s from GM (Bolt) and Porche (Taycan) while Tesla range #’s are...interesting ...

I hate to tell you, but real world speeds, the Caddy's range will drop, too. There are no magic bullets. You go fast, your battery drains. You've got a large, brick shaped car that weighs a lot, your range goes down. You build a tank, your mileage suffers. No surprise.

The reason Caddy can put all that leather inside the car is because they are not spending it someplace else, like battery innovation, or electric motor efficiency. Of course, they take a hit in corporate profits, but, hey, what's money for, if not to line the president's pockets?

Personally, I don't find my range that far off of advertised, unless I'm going 75-85 mph, which will sap the range of ANY kind of car, though no one ever worries about only getting 150 miles on a tank of gas. Just pull over and fill up, no thought given. For you, there is an all gasoline version of the Caddy. Ought to give years of service, if you make sure to do those oil and filter changes. And I hear gasoline is going up again. Unlike Tesla's free supercharging. GM hasn't thought of those yet, I understand.

There's so much wrong with this, I don't even know how to deconstruct it. If you think Cadillac's aspired-to 300 miles EPA range (meaning probably somewhere around 200-240 at highway speed) is okay for your needs, that's fine. That's a perfectly valid perspective. However, conspiracy theories about how Tesla somehow use their orbiting mind-control lasers to own the EPA is unhelpful.

As far as Supercruise vs. Autopilot, i would lean more toward the former.

I've heard a lot of praise for Super Cruise, but the people gushing over it almost never mention that it only works on roads GM have analyzed and digitized. They actually have a map online of all the "compatible" highways in the US. It looks like the closest one is about 60 miles east from where I live, and if I'm traveling north or south, or west for that matter, I might as well forget it. It would be completely useless to me.

I would expect GM to have more highways mapped by the time the Lyriq begins shipping, but, well, that just brings us back to how the Lyriq won't be shipping for A While.