Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So Why Again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Tesla is taking refresh steps that save Tesla money. They have removed the stalks. They have changed the screen orientation to landscape rather than portrait. They have brought the vent system over from the 3/Y. They have brought over the heat pump from the Y. They have changed the front console to a design that allows cordless charging and more and better thought out storage. They have offered the option of a third engine. They are changing the steering wheel to a yoke with little explanation. They have changed the way the gears are shifted. I hope they still at least leave the display of the chosen gear in the binnacle.

Let us speak to the issues that X owners have asked to be addressed.

The air conditioning in past units has been inadequate for those living in very hot climes unless you got a 6 or 7 seater that has a second condenser. I have not heard that has been addressed.

The second row seats in the six seater do not fold for more storage and have no arms. I have not heard that has been addressed.

The car has a history of needing control arms . I have not heard that has been addressed.

The S second row seat in the five seater had a flip down center seat that allows for arm rests and drink holders. The same feature is not shown in any of the on lines pics of the X.

The seals around the falcon wing doors rot in its natural environment and are very expensive to repair if Tesla refuses under warranty. I have not heard that has been addressed.

I hope the final vehicle has good answers for all of the desires of current owners. So far it looks like the cost savings are not remotely passed on to the consumer. I bought my X 20 months ago. A new X configured the exact same today would cost around 10 grand more. If all of the issues listed have been resolved it would be worth it. But if two or more still exist the extra money is a waste.

A few things. Since we have a heat pump now, we have no way of knowing how the new A/C system works. They also redid the audio system with additional speakers and Active Noise Cancelling. But still the $10K price increase is a little tough to take.

Correct about the new A/C system. One slight correction. We have always had a heat pump for the A/C. Now the heat pump provides the heat. The only difference between a heat pump and an air conditioner is the heat pump has a heating mode. While providing cool air there is little difference.

Correct about the new A/C system. One slight correction. We have always had a heat pump for the A/C. Now the heat pump provides the heat. The only difference between a heat pump and an air conditioner is the heat pump has a heating mode. While providing cool air there is little difference.
Sorry I was not being clear. Instead of A/C I should have just said heating and cooling system or environment control system.

The big issue we have now in terms of range loss in EVs is in heating versus cooling. I don't think we really know how yet how much decrease in range loss we will see in winter for the heat pump equipped X, but the Y seems to lose less than the 3. There may also be less A/C loss in summer since the octavalve system is using water instead of just air to condense the refrigerant, but again none of this has been measured or at least publically disclosed.

The falcon wing seal is a huge disappointment that I have addressed to the SC. They had no fix. For rain conditions or owners in wet environments, the falcon wings when raised will pour a good amount of water directly into the cabin. The drain feature is non existent. This is similar with the model 3 trunk when lifted, the water floods into the trunk cabin. I would assume most MX owners have kids or infants which is the reason I bought mine. With the baby seats directly under the pivot point of the falcon wing, the water rushes down and overt the seal, cause a brief waterfall that would dump on your passengers or baby car seat. Imagine you have your infant or toddler strapped in and getting dumped on with cold water. Tesla needs to fix this design.

The falcon wing seal is a huge disappointment that I have addressed to the SC. They had no fix. For rain conditions or owners in wet environments, the falcon wings when raised will pour a good amount of water directly into the cabin. The drain feature is non existent. This is similar with the model 3 trunk when lifted, the water floods into the trunk cabin. I would assume most MX owners have kids or infants which is the reason I bought mine. With the baby seats directly under the pivot point of the falcon wing, the water rushes down and overt the seal, cause a brief waterfall that would dump on your passengers or baby car seat. Imagine you have your infant or toddler strapped in and getting dumped on with cold water. Tesla needs to fix this design.

I recall a few different threads about people solving this issue by putting a pair of small trims front to back between the falcon Wing doors. It might be worth your looking it up. We don't get heavy rain up here in the northwest, just constant! And, alas, I don't yet own an X to test this with. I do love my S though.

Here you are. This is Mr Ed's solution that works for me

Reactions: glusc2002
When I was researching the X I saw the FWD rain issue. Several people said it was easily fixed by the SC. I have had mine for 20 months now and have not had the issue. I did test for it early on.
hmmmm, yes, I was thinking something similar and confused by the other post. In having my MX for 4 years, I have never had an issue with water pouring into the cabin when opening them. Maybe this is a new problem. I don't know.

No water issues on two Model X's over a few years. Personally I would pay a small premium to forgo the falcon doors.
No kids....just like the cargo space and ride height.
Assume they have beefed up the axles to handle the increase in HP. The inadequate situation on 2018-at least 1st half of 2020 models is a known design flaw.
Screen size and orientation is something that one acclimates to. The emphasis on gaming seems frivolous but I am not the average car buyer.
Better phone charging is an everyday benefit. Looking forward to getting a Refreshed X

Other than the shudder, no issues on my March 2016 X. Shudder issue is random and I don’t think they ever fixed or ever will.
Honestly, I’d be happy if the cup holders weren’t too close together to hold two drinks at a time...

I do agree it should have an armrest in second row like S.

Six seater is an odd offering. You don’t get much for $6,500 except the beautiful, electric pedestal seats. Which are beautiful. If you want fold flats, save $3,500 and get a seven seater.

Other than the shudder, no issues on my March 2016 X. Shudder issue is random and I don’t think they ever fixed or ever will.
Honestly, I’d be happy if the cup holders weren’t too close together to hold two drinks at a time...

I do agree it should have an armrest in second row like S.

Six seater is an odd offering. You don’t get much for $6,500 except the beautiful, electric pedestal seats. Which are beautiful. If you want fold flats, save $3,500 and get a seven seater.
Ha. I agree 110% about the cupholders. My wife and I have drink cups that fight for space among those 2 front holders.

• Funny
Reactions: elguapo
Have to agree with this. I love my 2017 Model X and apart from the actual front wheel snapping off its axle while going around a car park it has been a joy, You are correct that Tesla have not resolved any of the real issues that needed addressing but instead introduced a lot of stuff that didn't work very well and/or was pointless show boating. My X is now out of warranty so it needs replacing. I can't buy a new X with the stickless wheel, guess the direction you want to go in feature and a yolk for a steering wheel that addresses no issue at all. Same is true of the S. I have bought a model 3 performance to tide me over for a year until some new things arrive. The Kia EV6 GT is looking awesome. I will always have fond memories of my X but Tesla are insane and I really want to dump them.